This Would Ruin Your Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe one of the empty Vodka bottles!

I ran that boat before the current owner bought it to deliver it to Fort Lauderdale and then a couple of sea trials. The interior was in great condition, beautiful varnished teak paneling, new headliners, new carpeting and more.
He needs to tell them he thought it was Lipton tea.

Ahh, so this is why we are supposed to wait to have cocktails until after we are anchored or at the dock. ?

You gotta be pretty hammered to miss the entire inlet, right? Maybe there is more to the story.

I ran that boat before the current owner bought it to deliver it to Fort Lauderdale and then a couple of sea trials. The interior was in great condition, beautiful varnished teak paneling, new headliners, new carpeting and more.
He needs to tell them he thought it was Lipton tea.

Wifey B: Since it's his second recent arrest, I doubt seriously that strategy would work. August 14-Port Canaveral.

Ahh, so this is why we are supposed to wait to have cocktails until after we are anchored or at the dock. ��

You gotta be pretty hammered to miss the entire inlet, right? Maybe there is more to the story.

Bill, it has happened before. I think this guy was headed to the Flora-Bama Lounge. Had it not been for the huge sand dune he probably would have made it. I took that photo.

Attachments

• Gambler on the beach.jpg
    Gambler on the beach.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
He was also charged with a DUI less than two years ago.

Darn it, can't a guy have a drinkie-pooh now and then without people thinking he is a bad man?

Ahh, so this is why we are supposed to wait to have cocktails until after we are anchored or at the dock. ?

If you have cocktails after anchoring you'd best be darn sure you have the correct anchor and enough chain. Don't want to be accused of DUI (dragging under the influence). :dance:

Actually, I'm such a bad anchorer cocktails on the hook are a dangerous idea for me if the wind switches or starts to blow.

I like the sportfish boat jump attempt. That must have been an interesting ride.

On a 72' boat I would need all my whits about me. I wonder how he was going to dock that thing if he was that hammered? ?

Actually, I'm such a bad anchorer cocktails on the hook are a dangerous idea for me if the wind switches or starts to blow.

I like the sportfish boat jump attempt. That must have been an interesting ride.

On a 72' boat I would need all my whits about me. I wonder how he was going to dock that thing if he was that hammered? ?

Is 0.15 "hammered?"

Over the limit, yes, not sure that is hammered?

This isn't a subject I can joke about. People lose family members and friend to such drivers. If we were serious about it, this guy wouldn't have been out on the water still, but with things as they are, rest assured he'll be back driving and boating very soon.

Ferrari Tom Baker?

Tom Baker... Thought the name sounded vaguely familiar...

Google: Tom Baker pilot, Tom Baker Ferrari, etc...

Wonder who really owned the yacht?

Tom Baker... Thought the name sounded vaguely familiar...

Google: Tom Baker pilot, Tom Baker Ferrari, etc...

Wonder who really owned the yacht?

Yes, he was a Jet Blue pilot. Wow.....I had no idea about the Ferrari story, and not one, but two, assuming it's the same man and sure looks to be.,

Last edited:
I think it's been three Ferrari's: 328, Testarossa, and the F40...

Damn...that dude giving Baker boys a very bad name!!!! That is a crazy story about the Ferraris!!!!

Is 0.15 "hammered?"

Over the limit, yes, not sure that is hammered?

Oh maybe so. I've never had my blood alcohol level tested so I have no reference point.

This dude has an interesting history for sure. Crazy that he was still flying for Jet Blue after the car thefts imo.

Oh maybe so. I've never had my blood alcohol level tested so I have no reference point.

This dude has an interesting history for sure. Crazy that he was still flying for Jet Blue after the car thefts imo.

Neither have I. I was just going by the old adage that two beers is the limt, anything more than that and you may be over the limit.

So 0.15 could be four beers?

Don't really know.

Moot anyway I guess.

Right. Forgot about that. Four beers for me is not hammered.

Trying to figure out how you miss an inlet, but I guess if it's at night, party going on onboard, operater is a little tipsy, distractions, etc. I can see it happening.

This report said one engine quit on him so he was running on one coming in to the inlet. He was coming back from the Bahamas according to this report. Left the West End at 4pm and arrived on the sandbar at 2am. ?

http://m.palmbeachdailynews.com/new...on-palm-beach-owner-faces-third-alcoho/nsTHk/

Last edited:
Neither have I. I was just going by the old adage that two beers is the limt, anything more than that and you may be over the limit.

Don't really know.

Moot anyway I guess.

Keep in mind we're talking 0.15 three hours after the accident. Theoretically that translates to at least a .195 at the time of the accident, probably more like .24, so more in line with his previous BUI. For a 180 lb man .15 is 7 drinks, .20 is 9 or 10 drinks. He had definitely had many Long Island Ice Teas and they were probably each the equivalent of two to three drinks.

Don't really know.

Moot anyway I guess.

About .02 per beer....and that is if you chug them. So chug four beers and then you'd be around .08. Your body gets ride of a beer per hour as well. So .15 is a damn good buzz....bordering on hammered.

Of course everyone's body works a little differently. Also these absorption rates do differ based on whether your stomach is empty or full.

BandB and I are on the same page. And what sort of self respecting grown man drinks Long Island Ice Tea????!!!!

BandB and I are on the same page. And what sort of self respecting grown man drinks Long Island Ice Tea????!!!!

????

So true.

Baker, on the DUIs. Does a DUI trigger an automatic loss of a pilot's license? I would think commercial airline pilots are held to a very high standard with respect to this.

Last edited:
????

So true.

Baker, on the DUIs. Does a DUI trigger an automatic loss of a pilot's license? I would think commercial airline pilots are held to a very high standard with respect to this.

He got a plea deal and it was reduced to reckless driving and even then the adjudication held. He obviously has good lawyers and a lot of experience manipulating the system. I'm betting he'll get the BUI's both as misdemeanors and get some kind of deal there.

And then he'll pick some other luxury boat, maybe a Cigarette next time, and talk someone into letting him take a test ride on it.

????

So true.

Technically, no. It is required by federal law that a pilot report any arrest to the FAA. It is also required by our company that we report an arrest to them. In reality, it would lead to a very drawn out ordeal involving the substance abuse department of the company with treatment a possibility to maintain employment. I do not know anyone personally that has been through it. But that is probably close to how it would go. You would go through counseling with the company's experts and then they would recommend a course of action. I seriously doubt they would just send you on your merry way.

As criminal as this guy is, there is a very real chance he has not been reporting his arrests. The failure to report is a felony. But nothing seems beyond this guy! I would hate to fly with him as the rules certainly don't apply to him.

Technically, no. It is required by federal law that a pilot report any arrest to the FAA. It is also required by our company that we report an arrest to them. In reality, it would lead to a very drawn out ordeal involving the substance abuse department of the company with treatment a possibility to maintain employment. I do not know anyone personally that has been through it. But that is probably close to how it would go. You would go through counseling with the company's experts and then they would recommend a course of action. I seriously doubt they would just send you on your merry way.

As criminal as this guy is, there is a very real chance he has not been reporting his arrests. The failure to report is a felony. But nothing seems beyond this guy! I would hate to fly with him as the rules certainly don't apply to him.

At this point he's retired, but he always showed no regard for law so I'd bet money he never reported his arrests. Interesingly, another article refers to him as a "retired federal air marshal."

Interesting that there was initial presence of CG and a tow company but I haven't seen any follow up saying that anything has been done with the boat. Wish I was on the water so I could just run by and see if it's still there. The boat is clearly now a salvage job. Wonder if he has insurance? Anyone want to bet on that one?

His certificate level was "Airline Transport Pilot, Flight Engineer, and Ground Instructor", according to one source.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom