Old 09-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #19
Conrad
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
My understanding is that the so-called structure scan side sounded are only good up to maybe 100' then they lose it. Maybe some who has one can confirm. I tried one once and couldn't get it to work at all so replaced it with a Furuno which worked perfectly. Anyway, if you want depth and contour readings below 100', forget about structure scan.
We have a Simrad Structurescan on Blue Sky; not sure what version but it was installed new in 2013.

On the high definition setting (800 kHz) it will read to about 150` while on the lower definition setting (455 kHz) it will read to about 350`.

When the thing is working it produces an incredible view of the bottom. It has the side scan which I never use, which is a personal preference. The downscan is far more understandable.

However, the system is very flakey and so cannot be relied on for much. It is okay for entertainment (looking at wrecks etc.) but even at that it usually craps out just when I`ve got some interested visitors eagerly anticipating a view of something on the bottom.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote