Transporting Gasoline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't imagine removing the motor every use. To me that is a sure way to discourage me from using it. I want some form of davit or crane or platform that can handle tender and motor.

You have a 100 foot boat and room for a davit or crane to carry your assembled dinghy. My boat is 28 feet long and the choice is putting the dinghy on the bow and/or deflating it and storing the motor separately. Yes, it is less than convenient but it is the best I can do.

The other choice is to not have a dinghy at all.

You have a 100 foot boat and room for a davit or crane to carry your assembled dinghy. My boat is 28 feet long and the choice is putting the dinghy on the bow and/or deflating it and storing the motor separately. Yes, it is less than convenient but it is the best I can do.

The other choice is to not have a dinghy at all.

I have one boat on which there is no way to carry a dinghy, the one I'm on at this very moment, so I do understand the issue. In your case, you're right, that is your only choice. I know some facing what you do who choose to carry kayaks instead or inflatables. What do you normally use your dinghy for?

And the fact what you have to go through does discourage use of the dinghy remains.

I have one boat on which there is no way to carry a dinghy, the one I'm on at this very moment, so I do understand the issue. In your case, you're right, that is your only choice. I know some facing what you do who choose to carry kayaks instead or inflatables. What do you normally use your dinghy for?

And the fact what you have to go through does discourage use of the dinghy remains.
We use our dinghy for rides to the beach or to explore around where we are anchored. We do not anchor in front of a marina and dinghy in, we pay for a slip. We have a small dog who does not really have to go ashore to pee or poop, she uses puppy pads. She does enjoy the beach though and we enjoy it as well.

The most discouraging part is inflating and setting up the dinghy, not attaching the motor. I can keep the dinghy on the bow, ready to go in most cases but if the weather is bad and we can't operate from the flybridge, it's best to deflate it for better vision.

Some folks will tilt their dinghies up on the swim platform but that blocks rear vision and takes away the ability to enter and exit the boat via the swim platform. The motor would still have to be removed though.

I can tow it but I'm still not comfortable leaving the motor on it and I would only tow it in calm water.

I have an eight foot blow up dinghy. My Honda 2HP works well but of course I have to carry gasoline and deal with fuel life and carburetor gumming issues from non-use.

And, I have to carry the outboard up and down the ladder and install it on the dinghy without dropping it in the water. I'm not as young as I used to be so weight is an issue.

My situation exactly. With a 2hp Honda, 2 gallons of gas will last you half a season. 27 lbs seems my sweet spot as well...Those of us with smaller boats figure out how to make it work (ie: stuffing 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb bag)

Makes sense to go with the least motor possible. In your situation, kayaks are worth considering. May not be your thing though, but easy to use. I'm with you on not wanting to tow it, but know others who prefer towing to davits as it allows them to go bigger.

Do you use any sort of lift to help you get the dinghy to and from the water?

Wes: You use it exactly the way we do. We like to explore. We see water that leads beyond where the boat can go and we want to check it out. We see land and we're curious as to what is on it.

Last edited:
somebody just came out with a powered kayak,six grand,are they kidding.Company is from texas,cant remember the name.

I cover my gas cans with white canvas so the gas remains cool in sunshine.

Gas vapors do indeed drop because they are heavier than air. Air has a weight density of 1 and gas vapors have a weight density of between 3 and 4. Vapor densities less than 1 will rise and greater than 1 will fall. The problem with carrying gas on board a diesel powered boat is that if there is any small gas spill or leak, the vapors can travel down into the boat causing a potential explosive situation. Vapors can travel a lot farther than one might think. Most diesel powered boats do not have ignition protected components installed in them because they are generally not required on a diesel boat. Most diesel powered boats do not have ignition protected bilge blowers either so if you do get some gas vapors down into the bilge, how do you get them out without blowing up the boat? When we carry gas for the dinghy, we either leave it in the dinghy on the swim platform brackets or strap it down on the swim platform. That way if any vapors get out of the tank, they will drop down to the surface of the water and dissipate without any problem. If you do carry gas inside the boat or up on deck/flybridge you should look at the potential paths that the vapors could take into the boat. If there are paths that lead into the boat, find another place to store the gas.

Gas vapors do indeed drop because they are heavier than air. Air has a weight density of 1 and gas vapors have a weight density of between 3 and 4. Vapor densities less than 1 will rise and greater than 1 will fall. The problem with carrying gas on board a diesel powered boat is that if there is any small gas spill or leak, the vapors can travel down into the boat causing a potential explosive situation. Vapors can travel a lot farther than one might think. Most diesel powered boats do not have ignition protected components installed in them because they are generally not required on a diesel boat. Most diesel powered boats do not have ignition protected bilge blowers either so if you do get some gas vapors down into the bilge, how do you get them out without blowing up the boat? When we carry gas for the dinghy, we either leave it in the dinghy on the swim platform brackets or strap it down on the swim platform. That way if any vapors get out of the tank, they will drop down to the surface of the water and dissipate without any problem. If you do carry gas inside the boat or up on deck/flybridge you should look at the potential paths that the vapors could take into the boat. If there are paths that lead into the boat, find another place to store the gas.

Really interesting catch.I wonder why abyc,or ul,or some other governing agencies haven't caught onto that.Since the vapors will settle lower,where the diesels are,and if given the opportunity to get below deck(open hatch or such),and there are no ignition protection devices to be found,doesnt that present itself as a possibility of an explosion?It is common place for those with dinghies to carry gas.Surprised that they are not requiring some sort of a vaportight,or explosion proof enclosure.

Oh come on. Gas vapors escaping a container, in the open, drifting down and collecting into the bilge and exceeding the LEL? It'd be more concerned about secondary containment where fumes can collect.

My engine compartment's ventilation system is primarily to provide air to run the diesel engine. While there is an exhaust fan, it's at the top of the compartment, and it's purpose (seldom used) is primarily to draw in fresh/cool air after the engine's shut-down. So, I wouldn't want to locate gasoline storage within the boat. If I had a gasoline need, I'd place the fuel outside in a location where the heavy vapors wouldn't leak into the boat.

Greetings,
Mr. LM. " It'd be more concerned about secondary containment where fumes can collect." As described in post #21 perhaps? Maybe Mr. Rekindle can explain his reasoning for storing his gasoline as he does. I'm curious...

Oh come on. Gas vapors escaping a container, in the open, drifting down and collecting into the bilge and exceeding the LEL? It'd be more concerned about secondary containment where fumes can collect.

Please refer to post nine,so yes it can happen.One report of something like this occurring and causing an explosion would cause all these governing bodies to scramble for a preventative measures.Likely not to occur,low odds probability ,I agree.But safety measures aren't only deployed after a catastrophie,sometimes ,someone is smart enough to think about it before.But are odds probability really the appropriate way to measure possibly saving maybe one persons life,i think not.

In reference to #42 post, I never said it was likely, but that it was possible to get vapors inside the boat from a gas tank on deck or on the bridge. If the chance is 1 in a 100 or 1 in a 1000, I would not want to be the 1. I am just saying that I would never store gas onboard a diesel boat, but rather keep it down on the swim platform either in the dinghy or on the platform itself. I once saw a gas powered boat explode due to gas vapors in the bilge, I never want to see another and particularly don't want to be onboard when it happens.

In reference to #42 post, I never said it was likely, but that it was possible to get vapors inside the boat from a gas tank on deck or on the bridge. If the chance is 1 in a 100 or 1 in a 1000, I would not want to be the 1. I am just saying that I would never store gas onboard a diesel boat, but rather keep it down on the swim platform either in the dinghy or on the platform itself. I once saw a gas powered boat explode due to gas vapors in the bilge, I never want to see another and particularly don't want to be onboard when it happens.

:thumb:What he said.

If I thought it was 1 in 1000, or even 1 in 1,000,000......

But I doubt it's even that.

Look at the number of boats, explosions......and more so WHY gas fumes were in the boat.... and WHAT was the source of ignition.........and WHAT WAS OR WASN'T done to prevent the source of ignition from getting to the fumes.

Active risk management might drive that number to such a small ratio you might be 10 time more likely to die from 50 other causes.

Sure the numbers are hard to put a finger on...going either way....

So I don't have a problem with people being fearful of gasoline on a boat...a little fear is good to keep one honest.

I just think it should be talked about in realistic terms...not abstract statistics that create fear or regulation when some of those numbers are based on things that investigators would be hard to even recreate.

Risk? Manage it or get rid of it....not a big deal unless you dont.

....... Do you use any sort of lift to help you get the dinghy to and from the water?........ .

Nope, just pull it over the bow rail and wrestle it into place. Takes two people. Probably could have done it by myself twenty years ago.

When I bought the boat, it had some sort of crane device with a block and tackle that the POs used to lift their outboard to the flybridge. It was a 5HP, probably 60 LB. I removed it.

I could probably reinstall it on the bow to lift the dinghy but for now, we manage without it.

In theory, the new, EPA approved, impossible to pour without spilling, gas jugs are designed to not emit gasoline vapors. They have no vents either.

In theory, the new, EPA approved, impossible to pour without spilling, gas jugs are designed to not emit gasoline vapors. They have no vents either.

Agree, although I have left mine out in the sun(not purposely)after filling my lawnmower, and the expansion due to sun exposure of the container is incredible. Not enough in my case to burst the container, but the previous post about covering with a white color seems to be a good idea

Yes, In theory the new EPA compliant cans do not emit vapors, but in my experience, without a traditional vent the tank swells up in the sun until the pressure overcomes the weakest point. In my recent experience, it will scape where the hose fitting attaches to the tank. My new brand new Attwood 3 gallon tank was left standing on it's end in the back of a pickup and gas was escaping from that joint within a few hours. I know I should have left it flat, and preferably shaded but the point is that if the pressure built up enough to push liquid through that joint, it would have allowed vapor to escape just as easily if it were flat. Since most of the tanks have a similar fitting, I would expect most of the new EPA compliant tanks to have the same issue and I don't plan to return it but I will keep it on the swim platform or in the dinghy.

The green circle (ellipse really) shows where it was leaking.

Attachments

• attwood tank.jpg
    attwood tank.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
We are only supposed to fill it to a line. One gallon in a one gallon tank. That leaves an expansion space that should take care of heating. I suspect many folks (I often do) fill it as full as we can and that leaves no expansion space.

We are only supposed to fill it to a line. One gallon in a one gallon tank. That leaves an expansion space that should take care of heating. I suspect many folks (I often do) fill it as full as we can and that leaves no expansion space.

Absolutely, when I go to the gas station to fill up my lawn equipment gas container, I never (bad me) consider expansion, its just trying to squeeze in as much as I can, so I don't have to go back as often (pia).But in defense, as soon as I get home, I will fill the lawnmower right away. The expansion issues, at least in my case, was always with a partially filled container(regardless of liquid level),just that is in the sun too long.

In my case, the gas was not overfilled, it was above the fill line because the tank wasn't level. My point is, the EPA cap is supposed to prevent vapors from escaping, but if that joint is susceptible to liquid leaking through it, it will certainly allow vapor to pass through when pressurized to the same degree, thus making the vapor proof cap useless. You would actually experience greater expansion with a nearly empty tank than one filled to the max fill line, as the vapor will expand at a greater rate than the fluid.

If I thought it was 1 in 1000, or even 1 in 1,000,000......

But I doubt it's even that.

Look at the number of boats, explosions......and more so WHY gas fumes were in the boat.... and WHAT was the source of ignition.........and WHAT WAS OR WASN'T done to prevent the source of ignition from getting to the fumes.

Active risk management might drive that number to such a small ratio you might be 10 time more likely to die from 50 other causes.

Sure the numbers are hard to put a finger on...going either way....

So I don't have a problem with people being fearful of gasoline on a boat...a little fear is good to keep one honest.

I just think it should be talked about in realistic terms...not abstract statistics that create fear or regulation when some of those numbers are based on things that investigators would be hard to even recreate.

Risk? Manage it or get rid of it....not a big deal unless you dont.

^^This.

Put the gas can where a spill will not happen, or if it does, it does not go below deck. Keep an eye on it. Wipe up any spills.

I carry a six gal squat shaped jug with a cork in the nozzle. This lets vapor escape if the sun shines on it. I only put a max of four gal in it. Sits on cockpit deck near the scupper. If it leaked, it would go out the scupper. Never had a problem. When I need to put gas in the dink motor, I pour about half gal into a one gal jug, and carry that to the dink and it stays there.

If I'm not traveling with the dink, then no gas on boat.

Just use common sense and understand the risks.

Some people quote how there is a risk of explosion...

Others post be careful to avoid spills, unknown vapor escape, and mitigate risks so it ISN'T dangerous to transport gas......

And yet others posts how they do it incorrectly, and have gas spills and vapor escapes.....

Hmmmmmmm........wonder where statistics come from......:D

Some people quote how there is a risk of explosion...

Others post be careful to avoid spills, unknown vapor escape, and mitigate risks so it ISN'T dangerous to transport gas......

And yet others posts how they do it incorrectly, and have gas spills and vapor escapes.....

Hmmmmmmm........wonder where statistics come from......:D

I'm pretty sure you are referring to me. I agree that gas can be transported safely though common sense and mitigation. I was simply sharing an anecdote of the failure of these EPA caps to accomplish the intended purpose. Yes it was careless and I am telling on myself, it was of no consequence because it was just in the bed of a pickup truck and corrected before any substantial spill occurred. My point is that if gasoline can escape, so can vapor and therefore the EPA cap is pointless.

Last edited:
Yes, In theory the new EPA compliant cans do not emit vapors, but in my experience, without a traditional vent the tank swells up in the sun until the pressure overcomes the weakest point. In my recent experience, it will scape where the hose fitting attaches to the tank. My new brand new Attwood 3 gallon tank was left standing on it's end in the back of a pickup and gas was escaping from that joint within a few hours. I know I should have left it flat, and preferably shaded but the point is that if the pressure built up enough to push liquid through that joint, it would have allowed vapor to escape just as easily if it were flat. Since most of the tanks have a similar fitting, I would expect most of the new EPA compliant tanks to have the same issue and I don't plan to return it but I will keep it on the swim platform or in the dinghy.

The green circle (ellipse really) shows where it was leaking.

Thanks for the heads up on those tanks. Do you think that it would possibly be that manufacturer(cheaply made), or design issue?

Is anyone aware of fumes getting into the bilge from a gasoline container stored outside the boat?

Every year I hear of propane explosions, or gas engine explosions. But I have yet to hear of gasoline fumes from an outside stored container being an issue.

My dock box in which I store gasoline is vented so that the fumes would go overboard.
Not an expensive adaptation of a dock box as it only required buying a few dollar grill and cutting a hole in the side.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom