Raymarine Quantum Radar - User Feedback Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IRENE

Guru
Vessel Name
Irene
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 40II
IRENE is nearly ready for an upgrade of the chartplotter, radar, and VHF for various reasons. I am leaning towards the Raymarine Quantum radar at this point, and I although I have seen one or two on the water I have been unable to get any user feedback on the unit.

Is anyone able to report their personal experience with the Quantum, please?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

- alongside at Fisherman Bay, Lopez Island, WA

Jeff I'd ask over on "The Hull Truth Marine Electronics forum". There is a fairly extensive range of users there,

Brett

My relatively limited experience with radars suggests that all the newer (and probably older) radars far exceed my ability to use them to their maximum.

If I spent the time to learn to use what I have to the maximum rather than spending the money to get the newest and best I would be better off.

My relatively limited experience with radars suggests that all the newer (and probably older) radars far exceed my ability to use them to their maximum.

If I spent the time to learn to use what I have to the maximum rather than spending the money to get the newest and best I would be better off.

After looking over that comparison link and now about 16 years of using open array versus the finally decent domes (post introduction or Raymarine Pathfinder tech).....I can tell the difference in picture, but ultimately just better radar picture hasn't really changed my low visibility navigation abilities. They still just tell me where something is or isn't and tells me if that something is moving.

The biggest advance for the average boater is something like ARPA that decreases load on a solo navagator, driver.

Other than that...as the typical dome increased in size and power....I see less and less of the advantages of the others. Are they better pictures? Sure....but each is like a tiny increase in better and better windshield wipers where any radar is like adding windshield wipers up from nothing.

I will venture to guess most every experienced boater here that has been using RADAR for low vis navigation has used different kinds to get where they were going without hitting anything. Sure newer stuff is a LOT better than the older stuff....but each new tech or different type is only a little better than each other.

I am looking forward to using one of the new shifting pulse or doppler RADARs, they might just be the first big advance in awhile.

Quantum Feedback Needed

Psneeld,

Are you using a Quantum?

Jeff

No...but looking for experience with one....it might be the jump in tech I have been looking for...

Broadband has itsnenefits...just not enough to switch out a good radar for.

Quantum, the new furuno doppler, and anyone else headed in that direction might bear close watching though. I would like hands on with something great before I sell or toss pretty darn expensive "good enough".

No...but looking for experience with one....it might be the jump in tech I have been looking for...

Broadband has itsnenefits...just not enough to switch out a good radar for.

Quantum, the new furuno doppler, and anyone else headed in that direction might bear close watching though. I would like hands on with something great before I sell or toss pretty darn expensive "good enough".

Some of the new ones have nice features and advantages. Not enough though in most cases to upgrade if an existing one is working. Just for consideration next time. Much of the time, both the type and size of the radar is dictated by the boat. Now, what I see with some of the new ones like the Quantum is, if you can get better in the same space with a lighter unit, that has appeal. Still not enough to make me change, but enough to make me consider next time.

Back
Top Bottom