Who is going North or South on the ICW this year??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Besslb

Guru
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 42'
Hey Ya'll !!* Who is going where when?* We have moved to a "new to us" home marina at Carolina Beach, (Joyner Marina) right at green day beacon 161.* We would love to meet ya'll as your cruising by, share a frosty and a story or two!

We plan mostly close to home summer weekend cruises....Bald Head Island, Wrightsville Beach, Surf City and Myrtle Beach.

Tell me some stories...Winter is almost over...we've almost made it back to boating season.....Where are you cruising to this summer?

Attachments

• p1000037.jpg
    p1000037.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 129
Besslb wrote:

Hey Ya'll !!* Who is going where when?* We have moved to a "new to us" home marina at Carolina Beach, (Joyner Marina) right at green day beacon 161.* We would love to meet ya'll as your cruising by, share a frosty and a story or two!

We plan mostly close to home summer weekend cruises....Bald Head Island, Wrightsville Beach, Surf City and Myrtle Beach.

Tell me some stories...Winter is almost over...we've almost made it back to boating season.....Where are you cruising to this summer?
We plan on heading North on Moonstruck about May 1.* We will cross FL on the OWW if there is enough water.* If not we'll go around*and cross the Keys at Marathon.* Then head North to the Chesapeake.* We will, as weather permits, do some outside running.* Don't know if we will be going around Frying Pan Shoals.* Probably not.* If so we will be through your area.

I saw it mentioned that there is a mooring field going in at Carolina Beach.* That would be a good thing.* Has it been put in?

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 16th of February 2011 04:54:46 PM

Not that we know of... But we'll keep you posted.

Tom-

Awesome!! Definately stop by!* The last I read they were getting the permits now for the mooring field and hoped to have it ready May or June.* There's a ton of room to anchor there already, or stop by*Joyner Marina!* clean restrooms and cheap laundry*and US*!!
That last week of April we're planning a week's cruise down to Myrtle Beach, Little River and Calabash.* Our little cruise could happen either of the last two weeks of April, but we'll be back to Carolina Beach in May!*

If you come in at Masonboro, we can cruise up there (12miles) to meet ya!

Besslb wrote:

Awesome!! Definately stop by!* The last I read they were getting the permits now for the mooring field and hoped to have it ready May or June.* There's a ton of room to anchor there already, or stop by*Joyner Marina!* clean restrooms and cheap laundry*and US*!!
That last week of April we're planning a week's cruise down to Myrtle Beach, Little River and Calabash.* Our little cruise could happen either of the last two weeks of April, but we'll be back to Carolina Beach in May!*

If you come in at Masonboro, we can cruise up there (12miles) to meet ya!
If we are outside at Frying Pan, we would probably go in at Beaufort Inlet.* That is a pretty long run for us.* The weather would have to be perfect.* There is a good chance we will see you there.* Unless we need facilities, we will anchor.* Is there a dinghy landing there?

"Who is going North or South on the ICW this year??"

Living in Charleston, SC, those are pretty much the only two choices we have.

I'm trying to talk my wife into a trip to FL and up the St Johns river but she says she isn't comfortable with that long a trip (4 weeks) yet.* I guess I'll go North and try to stretch it to two weeks and see how we do.*

We did a cruise to Conway, SC on the Waccamaw river and it was great.* This time will be Myrtle beach, then hopefully on up the ICW a ways.

Don - there is supposed to be one now, and they are supposed to be making it bigger/better....but I can't tell you for sure that's true.* I'll ride a bike down there this weekend and look for it!

rwidman- if you make it to Carolina Beach let us know!!

Bess, is your boat a Heritage East 36.* It looks like one that I Moved from Clearwater to Orange Beach, AL.* Very comfortable boat.

Nope, 35' Senator.* But she is very comfortable.* This is Skinny Dippin' aka "Gonzo's boat"......Tom is my husband.** :)

Besslb wrote:

Nope, 35' Senator.* But she is very comfortable.* This is Skinny Dippin' aka "Gonzo's boat"......Tom is my husband.** :)
Well, Bess.* If Tom wants to keep the boat to himself, why don't you post a picture of your bicycle?
smile.gif

*We have a couple of small wheeled folding bikes on the boat.* My grandsons love'm.* They call them clown bikes.

Nah, it's not like that....just that he's more active on the forum, so people will think of SD being his....but she's "ours".**

But, for giggles, here's a bike pic for you!* It's near Fort Fisher and the NC Aquarium.

-- Edited by Besslb on Friday 18th of February 2011 10:24:09 PM

Attachments

• p1050397.jpg
    p1050397.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 127
Moonstruct, currently, there is not a dinghy dock at Sandpiper lane.* There is a nice place to put one and a permit posted showing they mean to!* So, if you get up here and there still isn't one, you just dingy right back over to Skinny Dippin and we'll take you to town!* :)

Besslb wrote:

Moonstruct, currently, there is not a dinghy dock at Sandpiper lane.* There is a nice place to put one and a permit posted showing they mean to!* So, if you get up here and there still isn't one, you just dingy right back over to Skinny Dippin and we'll take you to town!* :)
Thanks, Bess.* We plan to be that way in May.* Hope there are some dog friendly restaurants around.

Looks like Carolina blue on Carolina Beach.

Did an ICW trip last year from Baltimore to Marathon & back. Not sure about th.is year yet. Nantucket, Cape May are being considered for Spring, early Summer. Possibly ICW to Stuart & across FL, then north up West coast. Either way we'll keep you in mind. Bald Head Island is on our list of stops this time.

*http/www.scootersvoyage.blogspot.com

-- Edited by chc on Thursday 19th of January 2012 07:11:31 PM

Actually, there IS a place to dock your dinghy all the way down in the bight already. In fact, it's a better place to do it because it puts you right in downtown Carolina Beach where all the activity is. It's a bit more of a dinghy ride, but if you have a good dinghy that can get going, you'll be fine. A lot of room to anchor too. Even without the mooring field. Still, if you need us to ride you somewhere in the car, just contact us. We'll always have a car.

GonzoF1 wrote:

Actually, there IS a place to dock your dinghy all the way down in the bight already. In fact, it's a better place to do it because it puts you right in downtown Carolina Beach where all the activity is. It's a bit more of a dinghy ride, but if you have a good dinghy that can get going, you'll be fine. A lot of room to anchor too. Even without the mooring field. Still, if you need us to ride you somewhere in the car, just contact us. We'll always have a car.
thanks, Tom.* That sounds really good.* I'll take a look at the chart to see what the situation is.* Getting some place in the dinghy is no problem for us.* Just need a place to get the puppy ashore and hopefully in walking distance of things.

This might help:
(It's hard to see, but look closely at the bottom of the pic for the current public dock location)

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Sunday 20th of February 2011 03:50:42 PM

Attachments

• cbbight.jpg
    cbbight.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 132
GonzoF1 wrote:

This might help:
(It's hard to see, but look closely at the bottom of the pic for the current public dock location)

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Sunday 20th of February 2011 03:50:42 PM
that's a great help.* Looks very protected except for north wind.

We will be starting the great loop from Naples, FL sometime between the end of March to mid May.* Our son announced he is getting married in Toronto on May 7th so we are still trying to figure it out.* Ideally we will get going before then and dock our boat along the way and fly up for the wedding.

Rusbet!* Sooo jealous!* We're a few years out from being able to Loop.* But we see alot of Loop flags going by in the springtime!* Stop by at green marker 161 and say hi!* The Wilmington Airport is just 10-15 miles away.* Our Marina might be a nice place to leave the boat while you go to the wedding!!

Thanks Bess for the info on the Joyner Mariner. It is definitely a possibility.

rusbet wrote:

We will be starting the great loop from Naples, FL sometime between the end of March to mid May.* Our son announced he is getting married in Toronto on May 7th so we are still trying to figure it out.* Ideally we will get going before then and dock our boat along the way and fly up for the wedding.

I didn't know you all were leaving this spring to do the loop! *How awesome! *If you all make it over to the TN River area you'll have to let me know so we can meet up. *What an awesome trip you all are about to have!!!

Thats a great sunset shot Bess, I really like the boat in the lower left hand corner!
biggrin.gif

Moonstruck- mention this*thread for free dingy dockage at Joyner Marina, I know someone who can make that happen!
wink.gif

JMYSS wrote:

Thats a great sunset shot Bess, I really like the boat in the lower left hand corner!
biggrin.gif

Moonstruck- mention this*thread for free dingy dockage at Joyner Marina, I know someone who can make that happen!
wink.gif
Thanks, Tim.* It looks like we will have to give Carolina Beach a try.* The nice thing about a cruise along the coast is no really hard and fast plans.* We can make ooom for a stop when we want.* Look forward to meeting you guys.

Besslb wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are thinking of taking our boat down South this winter... but not too far south! *What is the winter like in N.C..... is Joyner Marina a good place to sit out any weather issues?

Winters here are pretty mild really...for all the complaining I do about how cold it has been.**:)** Joyner is a great place to hang out!*

Just to bump this thread a little... Anyone still planning on cruising up the ICW anytime soon? We'd love for y'all to stop and say hi.

Look up my cousin Andy Denmark when you get to Oriental. He has a Cape Dory about that size moored at Deaton Yacht Sales. I'm sure he'll love to swap stories with you. Dory stories? (ouch)

DavidM wrote:
We just bought our retirement house in Oriental, NC on Pierce Creek. We will move in by late April. We have a Cape Dory 28 that is currently near Annapolis and will be bringing it down in May. From there we will cruise the creeks and inlets in the area: Beaufort, Cape Lookout, Ocracoke, Bath, Washington, etc. Would love to link up. Contact me at djmarchand@cox.net.

David
**********A man with a Plan!,** Congrats on the new digs and welcome to the East Coast.

************ The Cape Dory is a cool boat.* It is great when a plan comes together.

*************Enjoy-- JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Tuesday 29th of March 2011 04:07:51 PM

Back
Top Bottom