View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 06:39 AM   #13
Bruce B
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
LESS IS MORE!

If you look at the level of comfort common from 1920- 1970 and can accept that you will find lots of boats suitable for travel or as vacation homes.

Good ventilation requires hatches , opening windows and sun shades.

Simply installing 3 air cond and 2 noisemakers to run them only means never having fresh air and a huge maint task and fuel bill and noise .

YES! Putting up the sun shades takes more work than setting a thermostat , but at least its quiet in the cool.

Having a FW tank , instead of a water maker simplifys life and power demands.

A propane range and reefer end the endless dead battery problems.

Simple can be done , and many times it is far superior to "modern" in terms of lifestyle on board.
I have boats set up both ways. My first boat, a 32' Able Whistler came without pressure water, heat or much of any options. Although cruising on it that way might have been rewarding for some, it was begging for some upgrades!
I of course added a water heater, pressure water, a bulkhead mounted heater, refrigeration and yes, even a watermaker.
Our enjoyment of the boat when cruising went up with each addition of a system! No longer where we off looking for water every 2 to 5 days. We could shower every day! We could heat up the interior on those cold foggy Maine evenings. We could venture out in the fog because we had radar...

I wouldn't have it any other way! I love my "Stuff". Maybe the difference is that I have a strong mechanical/systems background. These systems don't intimidate me in any way. In fact, it gives me something to do as we are living aboard...

Different strokes I guess.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote