What's your dream boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is an interesting thread. So many of you want what I would call ships!
Since 1995 I've had 9 boats. From 29.5' to 54'. I am now on my last boat and my second Ocean Alexander 42 which my wife & I love! Large salon, open galley, nice cockpit, 2 staterooms and 2 heads, fly bridge helm (no down helm) Davit and a complete walk around. We cruise her at 15-18 knots but she will do 20 knots at max cruise.
IOO (In our opinion) she's the perfect boat for coastal SoCal cruising.

Attachments

• IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1524.jpg
    IMG_1524.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Via Lido Salon 4.jpg
    Via Lido Salon 4.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2350.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1859.jpg
    IMG_1859.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1819.jpg
    IMG_1819.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 77
  • FullSizeRender-9.jpg
    FullSizeRender-9.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 73
I might go with a Marlow.

Attachments

• 109422979_scaled_377x246.jpg
    109422979_scaled_377x246.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 562

My current dream boat would be a "box boat" , that would fit into a Sea Land oversized container and shipped for a few months here and there with little cost or effort.

Something like this Seahorse Puffin?

9631-albums319-picture3182.jpg

Designed to fit in a standard flat rack container:

Name for New Boat (Not a DUCK) - Topic

Last edited:
Since this is a dream, mine is: 65 Flemming

Attachments

• 65 Flemming.jpg
    65 Flemming.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 70
Our 42 Navigator is a dream boat for us! Although, if someone else was footing the bill, a 55 Fleming would not be refused! :thumb:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 70
Since 1995 I've had 9 boats. From 29.5' to 54'. I am now on my last boat and my second Ocean Alexander 42 which my wife & I love! Large salon, open galley, nice cockpit, 2 staterooms and 2 heads, fly bridge helm (no down helm) Davit and a complete walk around. We cruise her at 15-18 knots but she will do 20 knots at max cruise.

Walt: You're the only guy I know that ''went back''. I think of all the old vehicles I once had and would enjoy the romance of having one again, but I never came across a single one that was "the one". I'm still looking for it. Looking at the photos though.....yeah, I can see why you might go back to that combo of space and features. I was astounded to learn you had no lower helm, by the way.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 70

Our 42 Navigator is a dream boat for us! Although, if someone else was footing the bill, a 55 Fleming would not be refused! :thumb:

Both of these fine ships definitely qualify for the 'dreamboat' title. :thumb:

9631-albums319-picture3182.jpg

Designed to fit in a standard flat rack container:

Name for New Boat (Not a DUCK) - Topic

Definitely an interesting idea. Not so sure about the styling, though. I'd have a hard time giving her a name that wasnt something like 'Chunky' or 'Lumpy.'

EDIT: Wait! I know what it reminds me of! ... Stimpy!
Stimpy.jpg

Last edited:

NO, the flat rack means the boat is not secure from crew during its voyage, Stuff Happens!

For 2 to max. 4 folks for just months of touring all that volume is a waste .

To fit in a box with only the PH needing to lower is far easier to design.

My dream boat would be a custom

Since money is no object, and assuming my current cruising desires eg unchanged due to suddenly winning the lottery without buying a ticket, I would have a custom boat built. I think it would be a cross between a KK52 and a Selene 54. Of course their are a number of similar boats which have been mentioned. If I were to be given a new one of any one of them I would be in heaven!

We bought our last boat 1st. But I'd we one the lottery, it would be a KK48...with a professional maintenance team.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Walt: You're the only guy I know that ''went back''. ........ I was astounded to learn you had no lower helm, by the way.
You know, Larry! I'm the only one I know that went back, too!
You learn from past experience. BTW No down helm means a dinette is now available and is used almost daily. :blush:

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 55
I think it would be a cross between a KK52 and a Selene 54

Bermuda is out in the ocean!!!!

I would look at the Euro boats rated for ocean service.

I think it would be a cross between a KK52 and a Selene 54

Bermuda is out in the ocean!!!!

I would look at the Euro boats rated for ocean service.

I have to admit that I love Bermuda! There is nothing like getting there in your own boat. If I were to want to travel great distances across oceans, I'd rather sail. That is one place a sailboat is my preference. As we are parting ways with our sailboat the same boat we sailed to Bermuda three times, for a decidedly non ocean crossing boat, I guess we will resort to flying there. That isn't all bad either!
Bruce

Delphin, Torsk or any of the Orca-class Romsdal trawlers. I fell in love with Torsk in '70 or '71 when I saw her in Long Beach.

IMHO, today, Delphin appears to be the finest example.

I have to admit that I love Bermuda! There is nothing like getting there in your own boat. If I were to want to travel great distances across oceans, I'd rather sail. That is one place a sailboat is my preference. As we are parting ways with our sailboat the same boat we sailed to Bermuda three times, for a decidedly non ocean crossing boat, I guess we will resort to flying there. That isn't all bad either!
Bruce

Wifey B: We haven't been to Bermuda yet. I want to go....:D

Wifey B: We haven't been to Bermuda yet. I want to go....:D

I really do love Bermuda. Of course it is changing, but there is still some of the lovely colonial Bermuda in existence. It is fun and I want to go back...
I can't suggest that we go again soon as my poor wife and I were on our sailboat taking off personal effects today and she is sad... I will have to wait until she is in a better mood!
Bruce

Its been quite a while since I was in Bermuda, but I have to agree. It was absolutely lovely. One of the prettiest beaches I've ever been to was there. I still have pictures of it hanging in my house. I'd love to go back someday.

Someone else's picture of Horseshoe Beach:
Beach-2_54_990x660.jpg

Bermuda is totally unique.

On one trip (done 5) we were at St Georges and went to the local spot for some great double diamond , adult beverage.

Seems we left the camera and binocs in the cockpit , and it started ti shower.

On return the items were inside on the nav table and the companion way was closed.

Only in Bermuda!

My wife and I really liked this FPB64 that fueled up at Cap Sante this past Saturday. The guy singled handed it and made it look easy. Per him, "You get used to it." :)

Attachments

• IMG_2594.JPG
    IMG_2594.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2603.jpg
    IMG_2603.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2604.jpg
    IMG_2604.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 80
Something very close to a 41' Lord Nelson Victory Tug. Love the looks but a 37 is too small for us and the 49 too big. Don't care much about NT's and AT's.

My wife and I really liked this FPB64 that fueled up at Cap Sante this past Saturday. The guy singled handed it and made it look easy. Per him, "You get used to it." :)

That thing looks like a battleship. Cool.

That thing looks like a battleship. Cool.
When looking at it from a distance or the side, it appeared quite large, evoking the battleship idea. Showing it next to the fuel pump adds some scale. It is a lot more compact than I first thought and with very minimal structure up high. The hull shape reminds me of sailboats as did the winches scattered around the fore and aft decks. The 750 gallons being put in was just topping it off. :) From the gentleman's comments and from what I have read about it, the 3,400 gallons of fuel gives a range of about 5,000 miles at about 10 knots. Very cool indeed. Here is another 'battleship' view.

Attachments

• IMG_2607.jpg
    IMG_2607.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 81
When looking at it from a distance or the side, it appeared quite large, evoking the battleship idea. Showing it next to the fuel pump adds some scale. It is a lot more compact than I first thought and with very minimal structure up high. The hull shape reminds me of sailboats as did the winches scattered around the fore and aft decks. The 750 gallons being put in was just topping it off. :) From the gentleman's comments and from what I have read about it, the 3,400 gallons of fuel gives a range of about 5,000 miles at about 10 knots. Very cool indeed. Here is another 'battleship' view.

That looks like the vessel we saw in Grace Harbour several years ago. I believe the original owner built it to tour the NW passage.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Built for one of our famous Japanese restaurant owners Tetsuya this craft was commissioned and built at a cost of over $800000 AU, I was privileged to have looked over this craft and the workmanship is one of the best wooden boats ever built The detail if perfect in every way even the hidden bits are 110%

SAM_3503_sml.JPG
https://huonview.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/tetsuya-afloat.html

Ted, Thanks for the recommends ...... We'll charter this summer in Maine and try things out ..... Destination & Journey, it does make sense especially with auto pilot ..... & it won't be above 49' ....... Dis

Ted, Thanks for the recommends ...... We'll charter this summer in Maine and try things out ..... Destination & Journey, it does make sense especially with auto pilot ..... & it won't be above 49' ....... Dis

:thumb: Spent much of my life in the destination mode (charter boat captain). Really enjoying the journey in the slow lane.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom