• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: '98 Carver 355 twin diesel for sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timjet

Guru
I'm putting my boat "Flyin Low" up for sale. The admiral wants to land cruise.

It's a 1998 Cummins powered Carver 355 aft cabin. Price is $78,000 and includes a 10' Avon inflatable with 8 HP Johnson O/B attached to the swim platform with a Weaver davit system and Weaver Leaver motor mount. The dinghy will plane. The price is firm.

Please visit flyinlowsale.com for detailed information and pictures.

Some quick specs: 39' overall, 13'3" beam, draft 3.5', bridge height is 19'

Cruise speed is 15-17 kts or low cruise at 7.5 kts.

2 stateroom / 2 head layout, aft cabin motor yacht. Swim platform is part of hull.

We spent 5 months northbound on the ICW in '14 and 3 months southbound in '15. The boat is cruise ready.

Contact me by phone, e-mail, or text. Info on flyinlowsale.com

Boat is located at the Harborage Marina in St. Petersburg, FL

Looks very good. One heck of a buy. Too bad its not called a trawler as many people would rather buy some ancient leaky Taiwan boat called a trawler than what you offer.

Live the boat! Looks very clean and well maintained. Of course, my favorite part is the almost hidden box of black box wine, mainly because we keep a supply on our boat as well

Thanks guys. I kinda hate to sell her, but it's time to move on.

Interesting comment bayview about people buying a "Trawler". That was me 7 years ago when we were looking. After looking at maybe 20 trawlers, many like you said leaky and one was actually sinking, my wife said "If you want me on a boat you're going to have to up the ante". I did and couldn't be happier.

GLWS, Tim. It pains me to see you sell but I knew this decision was coming as you alluded to it.

To those looking, I own the slightly revised version of the same boat...the 356...it is basically the same boat with slightly different exterior styling. I will say this boat absolutely NAILS the perfect balance between size and comfort. The way the salon is laid out and combined with the galley makes the boat feel way bigger than it should feel. I get the urge for a bigger boat and then I look at bigger boats and ask myself, "What do I gain with this boat over my own?". And the answer almost every time is....not much...other than a more expensive boat with higher maintenance expenses. You really have to go 45ft+ to get you any significant gain over this boat. It is THAT big and comfortable. Also, about 5% of these boats are built with diesels.

Anyway, anyone looking for a diesel powered comfortable easily handled aft cabin motor yacht, this one is hard to beat!!!

Thanks John for the kind words. You nailed my feelings about the boat. I've never owned a big boat until this one and I've never wanted another. My wife and I kicked around the idea of taking the boat to Canada but I could tell her heart was not into it. I've boated the west coast of FL for almost 30 years and after doing the ICW and Chessie, I could not justify the cost of keeping a boat this size and not having the excitement of going new places and meeting new people.

We have a 19' bow rider we keep on a lift on our lake. We use it occasionally to get out into Tampa Bay and also do several of the very neat rivers here in central FL. That will probably be the extent of our future boating. Debbie never really took to boating but she agrees the ICW and Chessie, the way we did it, created memories we'll hold forever. That trip was a bucket list item for me and I was not disappointed.

We are looking at a Class A motor home as our next adventure. Alaska beckons as a future destination, so we'll be active. Active is never an issue with us. We walk 6 miles round trip to Panera Bread on weekends.

The first picture is of Flyin Low on a mooring ball on the York River. Behind her is a sub leaving to go out the Chessie and presumably the Atlantic. The small town there is Yorktown – tons of history here.

The second picture is Debbie on the deck of Flyin Low anchored in Carter’s Creek just off the Tides Inn in VA. My favorite anchorage anywhere.

Attachments

• 1-P1060848.JPG
    1-P1060848.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 349
  • 2-IMG_1153.JPG
    2-IMG_1153.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 347
I would take this boat over a 1980's Taiwanese Tub anyway. It looks clean, has many desirable options and it's priced to sell. I don't think it will be on the market long. Good luck with the sale.

Not sure where the leaky part comes from you could eat chips from my bilge and will run all day on air......Sounds like you've pump your head.........move up from a trawler to a Carver?

Not sure where the leaky part comes from you could eat chips from my bilge and will run all day on air......Sounds like you've pump your head.........move up from a trawler to a Carver?

I had 3 sailboat and loved them all. But looking back almost every trip I took the majority of the time I motor sailed. Nothing wrong with that but I seldom ran all day on air.

We are looking at a Class A motor home as our next adventure. Alaska beckons as a future destination, so we'll be active. Active is never an issue with us. We walk 6 miles round trip to Panera Bread on weekends.

If only you had decided this a year from now. Your boat is awesome, but until I am finished refurbishing my taiwan tub...

When you get ready to do the RV's, check into Thousand Trails (TT). It's a camping membership with lots of "preserves" across the country. The vast majority of members are retirees. If it looks good to you, buy from a current member and not from TT or a broker. Go with a platinum membership or higher.

But looking back almost every trip I took the majority of the time I motor sailed. Nothing wrong with that but I seldom ran all day on air.
Interesting....Although I really don't have a legitimate bitch against sailboats, on past trips to the Sea of Cortez I saw most "blowboaters" motoring. When I ask some of them "why", they replied that it was either too windy or not enough wind! Boy, those are some of the best reasons I ever heard to buy a trawler!

Attachments

• IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 348
Well, I've had my boat up for sale for 2 months now. I really thought it would have sold. I've shown it to perhaps 20 different interested people, I consider that a lot. Of all those people 2 have seen it twice.

I can't understand why it hasn't sold. I prep it before every showing and I've had several comments that it shows good. One guy come down from Delaware and said he was disappointed in the cosmetics, but when I questioned him further he forgot Florida boats don't have shiny gel coats like many northern boats. That and he didn't like the small engine room space. But short of that everyone else has given me good comments. Maybe they're being nice, but you kind of get a feeling if the boat is a disappointment and I'm certainly not getting that.

The two that have seen it twice both have contingencies, house or boat has to sell first. Then I had the guy who called after viewing it and said he wanted to buy it, email me an offer to purchase he said and then asked if I would sell it for less. I said no and he said OK, I'll buy it. The email address he gave me was bogus and he didn't return my phone calls. Got a call from him a couple of days later saying he reconsidered and thought he couldn't afford it. I got a call from a young women today who saw the boat 2 weeks ago saying she's having trouble obtaining financing, but is still working a few different angles.

So I'm wondering if I'm attracting the wrong people. I priced it lower than any diesel Carver on the market that I know of, much lower in most cases. I'm selling without a broker and am looking for a quick sale so am willing to take a little less. The boat comes with an Avon hard bottomed dinghy with 8 HP motor. The dinghy planes and is attached to the swim platform with Weaver davits and a weaver leaver motor mount system so the motor doesn't have to be removed every time you stow the dinghy. Not one person I've shown the boat too seem remotely interested in the dinghy.

So I think maybe because of my listing price people think it's comparable to other boats listed at that price. So unbelievably perhaps because of the low listing price, I'm not getting the people that can afford the boat, they're off looking at $100,000 boats.

Comments?

"So I'm wondering if I'm attracting the wrong people"

No - you are not attracting the wrong people but you are attracting the typical people that call and visit boats. I have sold a few boats recently and screening out potential buyers is a task and a skill that takes a bunch of time. IMHO - I you are to sell the boat it will take at least 50 decent contacts and maybe a dozen or so serious visits unless you just get lucky up front. Of the 50 contacts 30 will be solicitors, scammers or tire kickers only of one type or another. Another 10 or so will be collecting data for their one boat or use. Then you are left with a collection of about 5 who are just getting started and are not nearly far enough along to know what they want of be in a position of purchase.
The last 5 are the ones that may or may not buy the boat but they may be financially stretched , comparing the boat to completely different types and or are too far away or at least think they are too far away.
I know from your posts you will get better at screening quickly but you will need to handle a whole bunch of leads and then more than a dozen 'serious' inquiries before seeing a couple of real offers.
Hope this helps and good luck

"So I'm wondering if I'm attracting the wrong people."

One more thought.....
When you sell a boat like this it is best to think like a potential buyer and not like a seller. The hardest part is to present the boat to as many serious potential buyers that you can so they can assess the boat.
I do not know how you are advertising the but when I do a quick and simple search (google or bing) for "Carver 355 AC mty for sale" I do not find yours.
Figure out how you can make sure your boat comes up multiple times on any simple reasonable search that someone interested might be attempting and I believe you will get a more targeted response.

just did a quick search on YW for carver 355,about a dozen boats between 96-98 showed up.Price range was from 39-79k.Looked like none were diesels.I realize that diesels are worth more to the right buyer,but how much someone is willing to pay is subjective.Hopefully,the right buyer will show up for you.

I realize that diesels are worth more to the right buyer,but how much someone is willing to pay is subjective.Hopefully,the right buyer will show up for you.

Someone that doesn't know the higher value of diesel powered will not be a prospective buyer.

I've had some lookers interested in a dock queen. For them my boat is a waste of money.

Thanks Smitty for your remarks. You've given me more confidence that I can not only sell the boat myself, but that I've priced it right. All the lookers you described I've had. I was unrealistic to expect a quick sale.

Concerning exposure, you're right. I did not get my boat to come up on a Google search. I've got to research that. I currently have the boat listed on boattrader and on craigs list. I just expanded my craigs list area yesterday to 4 additional markets in FL and have gotten some response already. I may list it in the Galveston, TX and Charleston area also.

Someone that doesn't know the higher value of diesel powered will not be a prospective buyer.

That's most likely what you have encountered in prospective buyers.If their intended use is just a weekender,then diesels to them just mean more money.I just sold my 35 express cruiser,and at 35 foot,you are on the dividing line as to a weekender/longer distance(think diesel) cruiser.If you are not in a rush,stay the course,and someone will pay a premium for the diesels,otherwise you might have to consider a lower price.

That's most likely what you have encountered in prospective buyers.

Yes very true though not all. Some said they are specifically looking at diesel power.
I think Smitty has it right, I've just not come across the right buyer, it just takes time. A lot of tire kickers out there, and it's funny you can usually tell within the first 5 minutes.

Another issue I'm wrestling with is how much to tell a prospective buyer. I've been telling them everything I've done to the boat mechanically, like multi-stage filtration, squeeze bulb priming system, up graded sea max raw water pumps, borel raw water alarm, fresh water flush, boost gauges and why, and more. I think I've actually scared off some prospects making them think this may be to complicated.

I did have a couple look at it early on and the wife took as much time looking at my maintenance records as she did the boat. My kind of first mate!! I'm still hopeful about them, but they have a house to sell first.

Anyway, I'm thinking of toning down the mechanics and focusing on the inside cosmetics and entertainment systems.

Also,it is still a buyers market out there. Our boat had a book value of 98k,and was seven years old in mint condition, low hours. Had it on the market with two brokers for a year at their recommended price, and nothing. Wound up, after figuring in sales commission at 10%, winterization costs, maintainence, and then a slip the following season, I listed it privately at 78k,sold in two days for 74.

Instead of telling them, why don't you just make up a list as to the improvements with a time frame attached as to when you did them. If I saw that as a buyer, I would think that the owner really kept up with any maintenance issues ,along with improvements. I had a complete list of everything I did, including oil/filters, impellers, etc. , all with dates. :thumb:This was handed to any prospect. Worked for me ,as then they could take it home, and absorb at their leisure, rather then trying to take it all in in a five minute conversation. Good luck with the sale.

Instead of telling them, why don't you just make up a list as to the improvements with a time frame attached as to when you did them. If I saw that as a buyer, I would think that the owner really kept up with any maintenance issues ,along with improvements. I had a complete list of everything I did, including oil/filters, impellers, etc. , all with dates. :thumb:This was handed to any prospect. Worked for me ,as then they could take it home, and absorb at their leisure, rather then trying to take it all in in a five minute conversation.

+1. I was sold on the last boat I bought before I saw it after the seller sent me a PDF listing in detail the history of the boat and what he had done during his ownership. Not claiming I'm a typical buyer, but this type of thing can really help.

When selling my boat I found many people were boating newbies all wanting to do the loop but not knowing much about how to evaluate a boat. Many lookers are well above their price capabillity as well and thereforeafraid of any defect. They spend time on the web and learn all the problems and that makes them very wary. The internet has got everyone expecting the best boats to sell at the price of the lowest.

After a long time with many tire kickers it sold, surveyed and went away. From first look to going away took a week, total, to a knowledgeable buyer.

Tim it is all about your motivation level. I had a stream of flakes, got disgusted and gave up for a while. Then I talked to a boating friend with a bunch of local contacts and offered it at a price only a total fool would question and sold it to the first person that looked at it in less than two weeks(Thanks FlyWright). He got a great price on a great boat and my wife got to start looking at horse property, win-win.

Usually the ONLY reason anything doesn't sell is price. Bottom line. I'm not saying your boat is overpriced but the folks you've attracted so far have. Not with words but with action, or the lack there of. If it was a really good value for them they would have found a way to buy it.

None of us like taking a beating but then again there's a reason why you want to sell too. No boat gets less expensive to own over time. Just my two cents and not even worth half of that. Good luck with your sale Tim, where I in the market we would have already had a deal together.

I would say don`t over complicate it. Fair disclosure is good, but you might be scaring people.
On price, the rule as I understand it is:
*no enquiries= too high,
*enquiries and inspections but no offers= still too high,
*inspections and offers= in the right range.
Sounds to me like your price is not too excessive.
A buyers concerns can be surprising. I recently heard someone concerned about tanks age and construction material. Turned out the concern was not leaks and tank replacement, it was about stirring up debris in a seaway, blocking filters and causing engine shutdown.

The last boat I sold, ten years ago, was sold by the dealer/broker. He said to move the vessel quickly:
  1. the price would be X, the dealers market value,
  2. totally clean out ( not even a tool box, mop, washing soap or spare parts onboard) the vessel and dress it up,
  3. have recent upgrade lists and maintenance history
  4. do a complete servicing of engine and genset
  5. show it at the dealer/broker's easy to get to yard
Voila, I kid you not, two weeks brought the first and last offer. The above 5 points pretty well mirror sales 101 lists I've seen on TF and elsewhere.

Last edited:
FWIW -
I believe with todays average buyer you are more likely to tell them too much then too little. Perhaps feed them info a bit at a time with an initial summary that is 'light' in detail but an good overall summary with many pictures and 'features' listed. Then you can have a much more detailed set of data of those that have been in contact with you numerous times and/or have actually seen the boat in person. Have a reason to stay in touch and start with things that may seem obvious to a serious boater.
And again FWIW - todays boat selling/buying market is very different than what it was 10 years back. Much different in so many ways.

Thanks guys for all your input. This forum has been so helpful since I've joined it seven and a half years ago. First in buying, owning, and now in selling.

I'm a little discourage I think because I had unrealistic expectations that I would get a quick sale based on price and condition. I also think, no I know, I've gotten several lookers that can't afford the boat regardless of price.

I priced the boat by comparing it to similar boats on broat trader and yacht world, and then reducing it by the amount a broker would likely charge and reducing it further for a quicker sale. I got 3 recent sales reports from Blake Davis at Castaways Yacht Club for my exact boat with diesel engines. I don't how Blake got my e-mail address or if he is a member of TF, but his sales history if accurate indicate the selling prices are close to what I'm asking. That surprised me a bit because I was thinking I was well undercutting the competition. So maybe not and I'm very aware that the only reason something doesn't sell is because it's priced to high.

With that being said I'm going to stay the course for the time being. I personally think anyone who buys my boat is going to get a helava deal, with a new engine and all the upgrades I've done to it. But that's me the owner/seller thinking not of course the buyer. I won't lower the price but I may rethink my firm position on the price.

Thanks again everyone for your input, I value everyone. Stay tuned.

........ but his sales history if accurate indicate the selling prices are close to what I'm asking. That surprised me a bit because I was thinking I was well undercutting the competition.

It is because you are basing your price on asking prices and his report is on selling prices.

I would say knock just a little bit off of your price to show past serious lookers that you are serious and willing to move. Maybe something like $74,900. That price also looks better in general because it is below $75. Anyway, just a thought. I think your boat is an excellent deal. Of course I am biased because I think my boat should easily sell at that price if not more. But again, thinking like a buyer. Hang in there. It is very fairly priced IMO, and a great buy for the right buyer. If this boat had popped up when I was looking 3 years ago it would've been a done deal on the spot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom