Bomar Hatch Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
We have a 24"x24" Bomar Hatch in the V Berth.* It is pretty crappy looking and I would like to replace it.* It also seems to not be inulated at all resulting in extreme condensation when*both kids are sleeping in there.* Any luck with other models?* The replacement Bomar is in the $750 range.**I'm also wondering about what headaches I might expect with switching brands??**

Max Simmons wrote:
We have a 24"x24" Bomar Hatch in the V Berth.* It is pretty crappy looking and I would like to replace it.* It also seems to not be inulated at all resulting in extreme condensation when*both kids are sleeping in there.* Any luck with other models?* The replacement Bomar is in the $750 range.**I'm also wondering about what headaches I might expect with switching brands??**
We replaced the lexan on*2 hatches on our last boat.* We removed the*old lexan took it to a shop and they cut and beveled the*new pieces.* They helped us with the correct caulkings and it looked brand new.

As far as the condensation goes, try cracking the hatch 1/4" or so when the kids are sleeping.* You have warm moisture ladened air*and the*aluminum frame is a great thermal conductor so it sweats.* Or*add a thermal break like Mike suggested.* Replacing the aluminum hatch with an another aluminum hatch won't stop the condensation.

-- Edited by Larry M on Monday 28th of March 2011 02:55:01 PM

I hate to say it but for a liveaboard or cruiser the best hatches are French ,Goyot .

These can be opened from either end , effortlessly , no changing pins.

With the cruiser automatic rain hatch closer there ideal.

We also have a Bomar hatch above our bed, which also condensates. The PO installed a clear plexiglass sheet to create a sealed area which solved the condensation but then the hatch is usless except as a window. I removed the plexiglass and installed a solar/battery exhaust fan right in the hatch lexan lens, which solved the condensation and keeps the entire boat fresh.

Back
Top Bottom