Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Popped down this afternoon and dry fitted a porthole. These will look sexy against the black hull. I also sanded, routered and fibreglassed the joining surfaces off the porthole opening I epoxy glued yesterday. Next week I'll sand it and begin the fairing process one last time on this side.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471602054.353666.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471602064.406546.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471602073.556622.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471602083.022530.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471602091.807208.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471602102.277445.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471602111.109598.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471602121.278578.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Couple more hours this arvo. Ran out of Jotafair after the porthole so started to fair the inside walls on the back deck.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471867055.922032.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1471867071.055587.jpg

Hey there Matt!

Quite the radius sander you have there [guess that what's its called]. And, "The Blade" shows just how straight you'd like us all to think you are! - LOL

Looking good bro! :thumb:

Art

Hey there Matt!

Quite the radius sander you have there [guess that what's its called]. And, "The Blade" shows just how straight you'd like us all to think you are! - LOL

Looking good bro! :thumb:

Art

That's a Flexi-Cat sander mate. Best thing I've ever used

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472126979.798842.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472127022.135364.jpg

It's Straighter than even you mate lol

Great progress Matt!
Just got back into the states with decent wi-fi and reviewed your progress over the last few months. Keep at it mate, your doing us proud!

Cheers!

Today's efforts
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472220156.059667.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472220195.298649.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472220213.435383.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472220268.243192.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472220289.984738.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472220338.609320.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472220356.221632.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472220408.027407.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472220372.957239.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472220372.957239.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 31
  • ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472220389.226395.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472220389.226395.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 36
Hey mate.
Thought I'd lost ya. How's thing at your end?
Hey Matt,

We are at day 148 of this cruise of the inside passage in Canada. Have just about crossed off everything on the bucket list. Didn't catch any Halibut, but did get a big Skate. Freezer is full of Salmon, cod and crab. We even saw a Spirit Bear! As well as lots of whales. Still have another month or so before we get back to Portland for the winter.

Anyway, your making great progress on the boat and hope to follow you a bit more now that we have pretty good wifi. Keep plugging away bud, won't be long before its in the water and enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Cheers!

Hey Matt,

We are at day 148 of this cruise of the inside passage in Canada. Have just about crossed off everything on the bucket list. Didn't catch any Halibut, but did get a big Skate. Freezer is full of Salmon, cod and crab. We even saw a Spirit Bear! As well as lots of whales. Still have another month or so before we get back to Portland for the winter.

Anyway, your making great progress on the boat and hope to follow you a bit more now that we have pretty good wifi. Keep plugging away bud, won't be long before its in the water and enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Cheers!

Wow that sounds amazing mate. If you have a chance I'd Love to see some pics. I have no idea of species but I'll google them now. Sounds like you're living the dream mate :)

Spacious, beautiful interior accommodations will be your result!!

Cheers! - Art

Matt wrote;
"Ran out of Jotifair"
How can that be? You always seem to have lots and are truly a master at applying it and probably more importantly sanding it. I never think of it but after seeing all you've done I'll probably use it in the future because I'll think of it.
It probably is'nt very flexable. Are you concerned about that? Can't think of anybody better qualified to fix cracks than you though. I suppose it's like "Bondo" here in the states and it's amazing stuff.

Matt wrote;
"Ran out of Jotifair"
How can that be? You always seem to have lots and are truly a master at applying it and probably more importantly sanding it. I never think of it but after seeing all you've done I'll probably use it in the future because I'll think of it.
It probably is'nt very flexable. Are you concerned about that? Can't think of anybody better qualified to fix cracks than you though. I suppose it's like "Bondo" here in the states and it's amazing stuff.

Hi mate.
Yeah ran out. I was made redundant a little while back and the admiral pulled the purse strings up so I just moved on to one of the many thousands of jobs I have to do that I have material for. Luckily I have a large stockpile of other fillers so the employment situation didn't really impact on progress. I've since found a job again so once I finish fairing the stern areas I buy some jotafair and carry on with the flare.

The jotafair is a flexible epoxy marine filler so not really concerned with suitability with flexing

Below link for you mate to see if it'll suit your needs.

http://www.jotun.com/Datasheets/Download?url=/TDS/TDS__19601__Jotafair__Euk__GB.pdf

Spacious, beautiful interior accommodations will be your result!!

Cheers! - Art

After the admiral has spent the day sunning her sexy legs up on the bow and me throwing big pinkies and Dhui's across the back deck we'll need somewhere comfy to relax ;-)

Raw water pumps. What has everyone got as their set up for raw water intake. I have a brass jabsco pump operated by a belt connected to the crank on the engine. Is this the norm? I fired up the engine since its been around 2.5 years since the rebuild and ran the whole system with water so I could see how the system operated. The only issue I could see was a leak on one of the coolant hoses and the jabsco pump pulley wobbling around and smoking a little. It's not a new one its one I salvaged from the original set up so maybe I should buy one before scrapping it and coming up with some other way of raw water intakes.

Just checking to see what everyone else has.

I'll post vids later on tonight

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Matt

Post a picture of the pump setup and indicate where was it smoking.

Ted

Think I'll do way with the belt and buy a new pump with a crank mounting plate instead of a pulley and belt.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1473073115.637464.jpg

Will do way with the mounting plate belt adjusting thing I made too which will work out good too imho

I prefer direct drive pumps. It's important to match GPM (Gallon Per Minute) flow rates at the same RPM. If the pump pulley and the drive pulley on the engine are the same diameter then you only need to match the pump flow rate. If the pulleys are different size, you may need to change pump size to insure adequate water flow.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom