New construction: She:Kon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
.....You must be enjoying this cooler weather.

Takin' a couple days off to enjoy the nicer weather. I know could be very productive days in the shed but I needed a break.

Back at it tomorrow.

Standby....

I managed to spill some paint in the bilge today! :eek:

img_476523_0_3c6ca8bed27bed3fc4c28730171ace82.jpg

Took the last two days off. Very nice cool weather here but my get up and go, got up and went. Maybe just needed a break. Short day today too. Can't do much with wet paint inside the boat. Back at it tomorrow.

So our lil' Yanmar huffer has a seized governor rod in the fuel injection pump. The mechanic is trying to free it up to save the $1K rebuild fee. I appreciate it if he can. If not I'm willing to bite the bullet and get it rebuilt. Still no word from machine shop on rudder build. I'll check up on that tomorrow seeing as today's a holiday.

Standby...

Drip tray glassed, painted & installed. Frames E2 & F trimmed to fit and ready to be glued.
img_478122_0_d299ad8c06e89e493ab6045216e192f2.jpg

Poured some water on the bottom above the stringers to find the low point in the hull. Drilled two limber holes.
img_478122_1_294fb9348ade01b59a1d67f25fb84768.jpg

Frames E2 & F will get glued and taped tomorrow and I'll continue to move aft on the port side. Once that's done I'll move the ladders around and do the stbd side.

https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/09/dri ... holes.html

That is all for now. Standby....

Had a massive WTF moment in the boat shed this morning. There's still so friggin' much to do I'm lost and going in circles. Had a half ass'd plan to glue & tape the bottom portions of the frames but that didn't work out. My mind got switched to tanks and which is going where and sizes etc. Boom, downloaded the drawings and did a lot of navel gazing as my two tiny neurons corresponded to come up with a plan. :banghead:

Anywho, got sidetracked from that and switched over to the bulkhead to support the Python Drive. That's sort of a priority. It's got to be done before the engine gets here. I'll force myself to concentrate on that until it's done. Maybe that's the way to go.

Web log updated: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/09/mas ... oment.html

Carry on.......

Progress is being made.Way better than standing idle.

Looking good :).

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

What are your thoughts on adding a couple knees in there to help brace the bulk head to prevent flexing.Maybe my over engineering thinking.

I was thinking bulk head to the stringer knee,but looking at the bulk head close up,it's way thicker than I first thought it was.I don't remember reading what thickness the bulk head for the drive is.I was thinking a half inch.Looking at your pic there,in the right lower corner,it appears to be 1+ inches thick.Gosh,I need to learn metrics better.

I was thinking bulk head to the stringer knee,but looking at the bulk head close up,it's way thicker than I first thought it was.I don't remember reading what thickness the bulk head for the drive is.I was thinking a half inch.Looking at your pic there,in the right lower corner,it appears to be 1+ inches thick.Gosh,I need to learn metrics better.

It's 1" thick. That's 25.4 mm for the rest of the world! :rofl: I added a double but guess didn't explain that.

Shear strength for 1/2" ply is pretty high. Can't remember exactly what. The math escapes me. The maximum load on the thrust bearing would be approx. .6 total weight of the boat and that's not taking into account hull coefficient of friction or prop slippage or any of those useless details! :lol:

I'm glad you did the hard math.That stuff makes my brain hurt and short out. :huh: :rofl:

Looking good . Very nice work.

Looks like it came together pretty good.I can't wait until you fly in the engine.

The kitchen rudder operates much like a thrust reverser on a jet engine. We affectionately called them buckets. I love the concept of vectored thrust in reverse. But they lack any propeller flow over the surfaces in their forward setting so you'd only get fwd steerage with fwd movement. Not always what you want or need in docking.

The articulated rudder will provide excellent steerage in fwd and provide enough side force to function like a stern thruster at full rudder.

Maybe someone will combine both systems to provide exceptional maneuverability in forward and reverse.

Great work and thread!

The kitchen rudder operates much like a thrust reverser on a jet engine. We affectionately called them buckets. I love the concept of vectored thrust in reverse. But they lack any propeller flow over the surfaces in their forward setting so you'd only get fwd steerage with fwd movement. Not always what you want or need in docking.

The articulated rudder will provide excellent steerage in fwd and provide enough side force to function like a stern thruster at full rudder.

Maybe someone will combine both systems to provide exceptional maneuverability in forward and reverse.

Great work and thread!

One tug I worked on had two rudders, one on either side and astern of a big single screw. The rudders had a really big range of motion, something like 135 degrees, and could move independently of one another. You could direct thrust in just about any direction. You could even get the boat to move straight astern with the engine clutched ahead. It's a really handy system. Made her very maneuverable.

Proper fitted Python Drive. One of the other builders who installed on in his TW28 spotted my error.

img_480499_0_5d890bec67050d8f1f452f0e8dbe94c4.jpg

I do remember reading the instructions. It was about 6 yrs ago! The date on the invoice for the unit was December 10, 2009. :banghead:

Ain't nobody got time for reading instructions! :facepalm:

https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/09/rtfm.html

Good catch by Peter! Always nice to have another set of eyes. :)

Oh for sure. Especially a set of eyes who've already built one of these! Peter's TW28 'Luka' launched last year.

AShip.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom