upper deck storage box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattleboatguy

Vessel Name
Slow Bells
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38
I never liked using my main cabin as a workshop, so I created a combination storage box / workbench / love seat / bed / life raft / coffin (depending on your current need) for the upper deck. The removable 2x2 posts raise the lid of the box up to workbench height. Now, I can make a huge mess up there, and at the end of the day, just walk away from the mess and return to a "relatively" clean main cabin.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Nice look...was thinking the same.

What materials and finishes did you use ?....if you don't mind and have the time to post.

Nice look...was thinking the same.

What materials and finishes did you use ?....if you don't mind and have the time to post.
I was concerned about adding a lot of weight to my upper deck, so I used 1/4" plywood and pine. The one exception was the lid of the box, which needed to be strong enough for either a work bench or to sit on, so I used 1/2" plywood for the lid. Just about everything was bonded with epoxy fillets as opposed to wood screws. But, all the fillets were very time consuming, and if I were to do it again, I think I might just use screws. All the wood surfaces got 3 or 4 coats of West System epoxy for protection from Mother Nature, and 3 coats of Interlux Brightside for the sides of the box.

Wonderful idea, Wish I had done that 15 years ago.

Niiice! If I just had that much upper deck space - maybe if I had a slightly larger boat ... just a couple of feet ......

The way you can adjust the height is very clever. I'll probably steal that idea at some time.
Is the plywood hinged so you can get into the box without raising the whole rig?

The way you can adjust the height is very clever. I'll probably steal that idea at some time.
Is the plywood hinged so you can get into the box without raising the whole rig?
On mine, it is not hinged, but there is no reason why you could not do that modification.

That is a VERY nice addition. I like the idea of "raising the roof" to workbench height. Is that your original idea? Very cool. With the 1/4" and 1/2" plywood you used I doubt it would add much weight.....as long as you don't stuff it full of hand and power tools. That's where your weight would come from.

Nicely done.

Having two storage boxs on the top deck comes in handy. I built the two roof top storage box with 3/4 marine ply and three coats of bright side paint. One is for storing toold and paint varnish supplies. Also they are a safety barrier as they take up most of the roof length.

I also use the roof and box's as a work and prep area.

Last edited:
I like your idea a lot! I would have to add fiddles. It seems that there is nothing in my boat life that isn't round and rolling off some surface. :facepalm:

Ted

Very cool idea and it looks to be well executed. Being able to raise the height is wonderful. My back hates trying to bend over to do work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom