Hurricane Hermine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
Well this makes three! Getting ready to drop the hook in Silver Lake, Ocracoke to ride out the storm. She should be nothing compared to Irene and Sandy.

So far so good here in Savannah. We've got 39 mph on ships anemometer. Lots of flooding from the rain but our house floats!

If you have to be stuck somewhere, Ocracoke is a great choice!! :) How long will you be staying there after the storm?

Be safe!

So far so good here in Savannah. We've got 39 mph on ships anemometer. Lots of flooding from the rain but our house floats!

We were in Myrtle Beach for the storms last year and one of the girls aboard was talking to her mother who was quite concerned. Her mother was asking questions about the flooding and worried about more flooding and Melissa was calmly advising her, "But, mom, we're on a boat. We float."

Incoming! This one's gonna run right over us. Battened down and ready though..

hur-vi.png

Well this makes three! Getting ready to drop the hook in Silver Lake, Ocracoke to ride out the storm. She should be nothing compared to Irene and Sandy.

Maybe you should change your boat name to "Hurricane Magnet". :rolleyes:

Ted

If you have to be stuck somewhere, Ocracoke is a great choice!! :) How long will you be staying there after the storm?

Be safe!

Other than the fact that Ocracoke is under a mandatory evacuation notice...

Good holding in the harbor there, we've weathered a few storms in there. It's good there doesn't look like any NW winds are in the immediate forecast, which can make the harbor rocky.. easterlies are nice.

Wasn't the evacuation just for tourists?

Mark, were you on your way north or south? You could have come up the Neuse to visit for a spell!

For visitors, and strongly advised for residents. The ferry system is very concerned about storm surge. One of the dangers of anchoring is boats breaking loose from docks around the harbor. And whatever local semi-derelicts are in there.I feel awful for the locals as the economy is extremely dependent on tourism.

Everything has passed here. Calm winds and a few clouds.

So we made the decision that the weekend won't be a total wash out.

We heading down to St Augustine tomorrow morning with a couple of other boats. Will come back Monday afternoon.

It is a pretty neat place to tie up for a couple of days at the Municipal Marina - plenty to do, and mass at the Cathedral Basilica if you want.

The storm did a fair amount of damage to a condo marina here on St Simons today. Several boats were lost and several others severely damaged. It got pretty ugly for a while there.

we toke 50 knots in BVI last week with this depression, be chance only for 2 hours and now class hurricane, be carful and don't play with hurricane

Hugues

We are on the hook in San Domingo Creek on the backside of St Michaels with three other boats. Wind from the east just starting. Plenty of swing room with 150' chain out.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Good luck to all of you folks. Dealing with those storms is a learning experience that I'm glad I will never have to deal with.

Still floating this AM....Always a good sign. Ran right over the top of us, but the Wind was out of the North and the river runs East and West. Not much surge to deal with...

10210850998618815_1078317183_o-vi.jpg

I've been looking at the Ocracoke Harbor webcam today and it has looked pretty miserable in there with the strong NW that has been blowing, creating whitecaps. Can't make out any boats at anchor that look like Daddyo (in fact can't see any power boats and just the one little derelict former sailboat in the SW corner that's been there forever. Maybe one docked over by the fish house, it's tough to see the other side of the harbor with the rain. Silver Lake Harbor Live WebCam :: Ocracoke Harbor Inn & Suites, Ocracoke Island, NC

With 3 foot (5! today)Pamlico Sound brick walls forecast through Monday I'd personally stay put until Tuesday, even with a following sea (assuming a southward voyage). Tuesday looks delightful in either direction.

One Hermine death, a person killed in Ocala, Fl hit by falling tree. I'm Holed up in Norfolk, hiding behind an aircraft carrier. Winds brisk this morning but started dying down by noon. lots of rain

One Hermine death, a person killed in Ocala, Fl hit by falling tree. I'm Holed up in Norfolk, hiding behind an aircraft carrier. Winds brisk this morning but started dying down by noon. lots of rain

Yes, they indicated it was a homeless man. There was also a death in NC with a truck overturning on a bridge. That's where it gets complicated because people die from things like that at other times as well. I remember reading about the deaths from Andrew and they were listing heart attacks.

Regardless, we're fortunate that it hasn't caused widespread death and injury. What we don't know now is how much it will stir up the NE as it slows down and hangs off the coast and perhaps dies off or perhaps becomes a tropical storm or even hurricane again.

Sigh of relief her in NJ. The track has been further east than predicted. The surfers came out in force Sat afternoon.

You bet Archie...after yesterday....waking up to sun and no wind....I thought we were in the eye! :eek:

Sunny and pleasant at the head of the Pamlico this morning. Headed to the boat shortly..

rivercam4-vi.jpg

It is no longer a tropical storm. Cooler air in the center.

You bet Archie...after yesterday....waking up to sun and no wind....I thought we were in the eye! :eek:

Turning into a nasty nor'easter tonight then swinging northwest.

DIRT FREE is currently at anchor off Nyack NY, posting this from a Starbucks.

We are kind of stuck at the moment as we don't want to head into NY City with a hurricane threatening the harbour. We will not proceed down the Hudson til' this thing passes. Some ships, tugs and barges are already heading up the Hudson to escape the expected storm surge in the harbour and they are way bigger than us.

Once this passes we will be spending a couple of days in Liberty Landing Marina to visit Ellis Island and "the" statute. We may not have Wifi access again til' then.

DIRT FREE is currently at anchor off Nyack NY, posting this from a Starbucks.

We are kind of stuck at the moment as we don't want to head into NY City with a hurricane threatening the harbour. We will not proceed down the Hudson til' this thing passes. Some ships, tugs and barges are already heading up the Hudson to escape the expected storm surge in the harbour and they are way bigger than us.

Once this passes we will be spending a couple of days in Liberty Landing Marina to visit Ellis Island and "the" statute. We may not have Wifi access again til' then.

If you are indeed right off the Nyack waterfront, myself, I'd sneak back up to the cove off Croton Point, a little better protection in there. Pretty, too.

Well we were at anchor and the house battery bank decided it wasn't happy. That's a definite no go when you have a fridge, deep freeze and ice maker. We went to the Park Service docks and rode it out. The breakers tripped there the night of the storm but at that point we had no choice but to stay. I hate being tied to a dock when things freshen but oh well. Doubled the lines facing the wind, put out fender boards and all was well. Really a minor storm as these things go but always something to learn (lost the life ring when it blew away)! The trucker who lost his life was crossing the three mile Alligator River bridge on Sat in the peak winds. I can't believe they didn't shut that bridge to truck traffic if not all vehicles.

Bye-bye Hermines. Thanks for not stopping here.

If you are indeed right off the Nyack waterfront, myself, I'd sneak back up to the cove off Croton Point, a little better protection in there. Pretty, too.

I know the spot but I hate to go backwards (even a few miles). It's been a little rolly at anchor in the later half of a rising tide but otherwise not bad at all.

Will double check the weather in the morning and if things are still stable, head down to Liberty Landing ($4.00/ft, ouch) for two days. Expensive but you have to do it once, right?

Back
Top Bottom