View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #20
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post
The sea-lift mounts on the transom below the swim-step. It is a heavy duty setup. I like the way it slips the tender into a cradle then lifts it well above the swim-step. I'm not concerned about dragging in following seas. I'm concerned with the added weight so far back on a 35' boat and how it will affect the handling of the boat. I'd like to hear about how the 35-40' semi displacement hulls do with the weight. I'm sure the trawlers have no problem. I don't need a trawler because I'm staying on the bay and delta. Although I would love to own a Selene or Nordhavn but I need to save for a couple more years. In the meantime I stay in the delta.

Thanks
Most 35-40' semi-displacement boats do poorly with additional wait on the transom or swim platform. Now, I'm going to suggest a way for you to check your boat. Get some weight of any sort you want. Anything from fertilizer to barbells. A bladder or something you could fill with water would be great. Put it back there and see how it does. When we started adding equipment on our loop boat, we put weight in the spot we were considering and tested first.

A Carver C34 only weighs 16,500 pounds dry. With twin gas engines it planes quickly. With other engines not so much. It really isn't semi-displacement, it's a planing hull and planes with the twin Mercruisers or Volvo I/O's. 825 pounds would be 5% addition to the boat weight all on the transom. I would think too much. Maybe 200 lbs would be ok. Only way to tell for sure on your boat is to do some tests. 25 gallons of water will tell you about 200 or double the water and find out about 400 lbs.

Don't guess-Test. Don't even use someone else's boat experience unless they have everything identical, which is not commonly found.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote