Hour Meters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PCoch

Veteran Member
One of the two meters for my Cummins 6BT-5.9M engines does not work. Is anyone familiar with where the meter gets its signal? And, is it possible to advance the non-working one to more closely reflect actual hours if I can get it working again?

Thanks

Paul

If it's the common in the tachometer type, it's powered by the ignition switch I believe. If you can fix it, you should be able to apply power to the tachometer to advance the hour meter. I've had 2 of those die in Cummins tachometers and think they are of poor quality. Have stand alone hour meters on my boats now. They're tied to the ignition switch and can be advanced by connecting to a battery for the winter.

DSCN1393.jpg

DSCN1392.jpg

Ted

Depends on your installation.
Some older installations are connected to the tachometer in such a way as to count revolutions, so the meter reading is a theoretical one, based on WOT hours, not on time.
Most are just powered by the ignition switch, so count time the switch is in the "on" position.
Use a multimeter on the existing hour meter to see where it gets power and connect a new one the same way.
If tying into the ignition circuit, you need to be in the habit of leaving it off, otherwise you record hours that the engine was not running at all. (that explains how my Port engine hours climbed past my Stb engine without either being in use)

Depends on your installation.
Some older installations are connected to the tachometer in such a way as to count revolutions, so the meter reading is a theoretical one, based on WOT hours, not on time.
Most are just powered by the ignition switch, so count time the switch is in the "on" position.
Use a multimeter on the existing hour meter to see where it gets power and connect a new one the same way.
If tying into the ignition circuit, you need to be in the habit of leaving it off, otherwise you record hours that the engine was not running at all. (that explains how my Port engine hours climbed past my Stb engine without either being in use)

Thanks - it's actually internal to the tach. The back of the unit has about 8 electrical connections on it - some for backlighting, powering the tach, etc.

If it's the common in the tachometer type, it's powered by the ignition switch I believe. If you can fix it, you should be able to apply power to the tachometer to advance the hour meter. I've had 2 of those die in Cummins tachometers and think they are of poor quality. Have stand alone hour meters on my boats now. They're tied to the ignition switch and can be advanced by connecting to a battery for the winter.

View attachment 55988

View attachment 55989

Ted
Did you try to repair?

Did you try to repair?

I had an electronics guy play with it, no success. he did the simple checks and said it would be cheaper to pic up a used tach if it was that important. I choose the $20 solution.

Ted

The VDO tach with digital hourmeters SUCK. Mine is dying. Just get a stand alone meter and wire it up.

Mine reads hours when ign is on, but clock does not advance unless tach is picking up a signal. That is a nice feature. If it would friggin WORK.

I bought a new DATCON meter and set it up on a battery to advance hours. It died in the process.

My gen hour meter sometimes clocks two hours during an overnight run.

Stupid hour meters.

Rant over. I'm starting to sound like FF and generators. I'll shut up now.

I bought a new DATCON meter and set it up on a battery to advance hours. It died in the process.

My gen hour meter sometimes clocks two hours during an overnight run.

Stupid hour meters.

Buy an ENM Hour Meter. Unit is sealed and just works. Have over 1,000 hours on the one in the charter boat. It sees some vibration and occasionally gets bounced around in the ocean. ;)

Ted

Back
Top Bottom