recess pull ring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I have installed Starboard for the aft hatch on my 1988 36 Albin. I am looking at a recess pull ring so I can open the deck hatch. how would I recess the plate> or any other suggestions on what I could use to pull the starboard hatch open? thank you
Kevin G
new Bern NC

Starboard machines very easily and leaves a nice smooth finish. If you have a pull ring mounted to a plate, recess the plate with a normal wood router.

Ted

IF there is little weight a SS carriage bolt with the square trimmed off with a fender washer with nylock nut below will frequently be enough to grab to lift a small panel.

Lots easier to drill a hole than do a good rectangle flush fit

You can readily buy flush-mount pull rings for this purpose. Easy to rout the Starboard as said above.

FF mentioned the carriage bolt pull; works in solid surfaces as well as carpeted. Saw it on a Mainship 350/390 engine access door.

Easier, and cheaper than both the above is a finger hole, carefully eased, rounded, around the opening so not damaging to the finger. Presuming no stiletto heels, a 3/4" hole is not very obtrusive.

Similar finger holes in the Teak and Holly sole in our LeComte had neatly cut (radial slices not extending much past the hole) leather patches tacked on to the bottom side. The leather had enough stiffness to stay shut but a finger would readily poke through to grab the panel.

Back
Top Bottom