Pyramid Cove San Clemente Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisL

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Morning Star
Vessel Make
Defever 41
Hi All, I"m from the San Diego area and I'm planning our annual trip to Catalina Island. This year I want to make our first stop at Pyramid Cove San Clemente Island. I know the island itself is a Navel Restricted Area, but the surrounding areas are okay to anchor (unless Navy operations going on in the area). Does anyone know what type of anchorage it is or how safe it is from weather issues?

Thanks, Chris /

Morningstar
Defever 41

Haven't anchored there but I've sailed past many times. The Coast Pilot says anchorage is about 10 fathoms, but stay out of the kelp. You can get a NOAA chart that should tell you what kind of bottom to expect. The cove is pretty well protected in typical northwest weather.

Biggest problem is that the Navy does live fire exercises around the island and can close off the whole island to recreational activities. Check the web site (San Clemente Island) for a schedule and info on open/closed areas.

Thanks Dick for the info and the website.

Chris

I have not been there in years, but also want to back. We had planned to do it in June, and the navy had shown it as open on their website. Then, literally 1 week before our trip they closed that sector. Trip over. Keep an eye on that website, until the day you leave. Please post some pics if you go.

Will do -- thanks Fletcher.

San Clemente Island

Going to San Clemente Island is not like going to Catalina.

Weather & sea conditions are rougher out there.

Here is some info.

Be safe.

Mike
-------------------------------------------

Safety Zone Procedures

Effective June 21, 2010, a 3nm Safety Zone will exist around San Clemente Island. Extending from the high tide line out to 3nm, the Safety Zone is divided into eight sections (Figure 1).
sci_safety_zones.png
Figure 1. San Clemente Island Safety Zones​

Unless scheduled for hazardous military training and testing activities, six sections (A, B, C, D, E, F) are available to the public for recreational and commercial activities (e.g. fishing, diving, sailing). Check the Schedule/Safety Zones link for the daily status of these six safety zone sections. An area not highlighted is not scheduled for hazardous military operations, so the public may access these offshore waters. If an area is highlighted in red, hazardous military operations are scheduled for the entire day, so do not enter that area at any time during the day in question. If an area is highlighted in red/green stripes, the area is scheduled for part of the day for hazardous military operations, so do not enter these areas during the scheduled period; see the tables to the left of the map on that page.

Last edited:
San Clemente Island

San Clemente Island (SCI) is the southernmost of the eight California Channel Islands. It lies 55 nautical miles (nm) south of Long Beach and 68 nm west of San Diego. The island is approximately 21 nm long and is 4-1/2 nm across at its widest point. Since 1934, the island has been owned and operated by various naval commands. More than a dozen range and operational areas are clustered within a 60 mile radius of the island. The Commander-in-Chief, Naval Forces, Pacific (CINCPACFLT) is the major claimant for the island, and Naval Air Station, North Island (NASNI) is responsible for its administration.

For more information, check out these links: Navy Training and the SCI Environment

SCORE Development History (1981-2007)
Click on the image for
SCORE Development History (1981-2007)

Our yacht club used to have a race from Dana Point around San Clemente Island to San Diego. First (weather) leg was 52nm, total race distance was 134nm. It was exciting times in my Catalina 27.

The Pyramid Cove anchorage is well protected from the north and west, but exposed to hurricane-induced swells from the south.

The bigger problem is that the Navy's closure schedule can change a day or two before your intended use.

During tuna season, lots of sportfishers will be there, but it is a big anchorage and I have never seen it so full that a good spot can't be found.

Back
Top Bottom