Anchor Exchange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
I purchased a Manson Supreme almost 4-years ago. Soon after purchase it began to develop rust areas. The areas have grown over time. I called Manson and sent them photos. I was surprised that their response was that I must have dragged it over rocks or it is coming up funny over my anchor roller. I then sent them a picture of my 20-year old CQR that has not a drop of rust. In summary, they would do nothing about it. BTW, I do not anchor in rocky areas--it's always sand or mud.

A few weeks ago I made a purchase from West Marine and noted that at the bottom of the receipt it said something akin to if you are ever disatisfied with a purchase you can bring it back for replacement. I decided to discuss the anchor issue with the store manager (I did purchase the anchor from them). He said that he would order a new anchor for me as a replacement. I requested replacing it with a Rocna since I was upset with the response of the folks at Manson. No problem was the answer. So now I have a 73# Rocna instead of a rusted 60# Manson Supreme.

My purpose for this post is to give a shout out for West Marine and their great customer service.

Howard, pretty sure you will like the 73# Rocna. Mine works extremely well and I got a great deal on it from some guy in Westport CT. ;)

Ted

I remember that. I'm pretty sure you got a better deal than that guy.

I purchased a used Rocna 55# anchor at West Marine that someone returned because of some rust on the tip. I paid less than 50% of retail and also received points.
I now have a lot of cash reserve to paint the tip if required. :D

I purchased a used Rocna 55# anchor at West Marine that someone returned because of some rust on the tip. I paid less than 50% of retail and also received points.
I now have a lot of cash reserve to paint the tip if required. :D

I tried unsuccessfully to rehab some G4 chain that had rust. After thorough cleaning and then bathing in ospho I sprayed multiple coats of galvanizing paint on the chain. It rusted.

In case you wondered.

Yea but the neat thing about the cold galvanize is that in a minute you can squrit so new on. Barnicle Buster, Rustolium cold galvanize have worked well for me on anchors. Not as good on props.

Janice the spot where the chain links contact probably abraded right back to the parent steel.

Howard at least you had a good strong shank w the Manson. Cold gal would'a worked great once a year depending on how often you anchor.

I tried unsuccessfully to rehab some G4 chain that had rust. After thorough cleaning and then bathing in ospho I sprayed multiple coats of galvanizing paint on the chain. It rusted.

In case you wondered.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll skip the paint and save the money.
Besides a little rust on the anchor makes it look salty. :D

There's a funny thing!! I had a Rocna that rusted where the roll bar attached to the fluke in less than a year, and after two uses. I was able to exchange it for a Vulcan for the cost difference. The Vulcan fitted my application better, as it happened. Very pleased with the performance.

Ian
Carver 350

Back
Top Bottom