To Doppler or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would just like to say that most of what you guys are saying about radar has gone completely over my head. I need to go do some basic reading I guess on radar fundamentals.

Go get "The Radar Book" by Kevin Monahan. It's really good, and very readable for material like that.

Very true, provided you're within range for wifi, cell tower coverage, or have satellite internet. 20 miles off the coast, I have none of that.

Ted

Agreed. There is about 1000 miles of BC and Alaska Coast where there is little to no cell service.

Kevin Monahan has a decent read, creativity named "The RADAR Book". It is oldish, maybe 10 years old, so won't have all the new fangled stuff. But it is the best instructional guide to recreational RADAR that I've read. In fact I keep a copy on the boat.

Oops, sorry. You beat me to it.

I think the only new fangled thing that's not covered is using doppler to highlight dangerous targets. In terms of use and operation, broadband or pulse makes no difference, and all the collision avoidance tools are pretty universal.

Kevin Monahan has a decent read, creativity named "The RADAR Book". It is oldish, maybe 10 years old, so won't have all the new fangled stuff. But it is the best instructional guide to recreational RADAR that I've read. In fact I keep a copy on the boat.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom