Old 09-02-2016, 07:41 AM   #52
ranger58sb
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I use the radar to analyse the weather I can't see. During the summer, afternoon thunder storms with lightning periodically happen. Running the range out to 36 or 48 miles let's me see the storm clouds that atmospheric conditions won't let me see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
My desire is to get target info as close to my boat as possible. That desired closeness is impossible with a magnetron system that shares X band wave guide with the transmitter and receiver. A 4 or 5 degree CW low power radiated wave does not need or have the ATR (anti transmit receive) recovery time problem that a magnetron system requires which along with radiated pulse width determine the system's minimum range. A 4-5 degree beam will provide adequate target separation for my use because my only interest is for targets out to a mile or so.

Yeah, I use ours for long-range weather checks, too. Some of the smartphone apps aren't too bad, but when I can see weather building off in the distance -- even some 40-50 miles away -- with the naked eye, I like to be able to check it's progress from time to time with our own radar.

When we troll, I can see our planer board off our stern quarters. Very small/low targets. For taller targets, like boats or day marks, I can usually see those very close. I think one of the tall daymarks we would routinely need to use to return to our marina in full dark and a cloudy night shows up as close as about 8 feet. Maybe I'll re-check that, this weekend...

-Chris