What's your dream boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MJM 40z

image.jpg

I have my dream boat. :D:D

Last edited:
Originally Posted by markpierce
I have my dream boat.

Probably the best answer here so far.:)

Yeah, you just knew Mark would say that. He's a very modest dreamer...but that's fine...makes striking it rich easier... :D

The boat I am currently sitting on reading TF
See avatar.

Wayfarer: my wife and I were discussing this yesterday, and I suggested the same Krogan 52 for the same attributes . Beautiful boat, I've been on one several times over the years at the Newport boat show. I usually have to clean off the drool when I get off the boat.

I fell in love at the last Ft Lauderdale boat show. I must have spent an hour aboard. I'm told you could actually see my heart break when they told me it was 1.6 million expletive dollars.

View attachment 43016
View attachment 43017

You can say our tastes are for the simpler things in life.

Simplicity is its own luxury! I think you should get a Coot. Maybe a green one with a white house and yellow accents. Maybe a big red sail. Maybe you could call it Cootquinez Cart, and keep it somewhere in SF Bay. Maybe you could follow Mark around flicking people's ears and tipping over porta potties. You would have to put a goatee somewhere on the boat, in accordance with the Intergalactic Treaty of Remulac regarding the identification of evil twins.

One that never breaks, never needs maintenance, is paid for and looks like a boat should look.

You really are dreaming!

Oooooooooooo... And so reasonably priced!

I do really like that, though. Reminds me of a '30s ocean liner. Can you get it with a steam engine and a black gang to shovel coal?

I mean if money is no object, I'd love to have this bad boy.

http://www.yachtauctions.com/inventory/9547/

Man, there's no compromising with that one. You get a sundeck, a trunk cabin and a cockpit. Well played.

That's what the reset button (underneath the fuel-consumption meter) is for. :D

Nope, mine doesn't work. I guess that's broken too... Add it to the list, I guess.

My needs are more modest than some. I think a Hinckley T55 would work just fine for me.

I mean, that's what I think tonight. I'm sure by morning it will be something completely different. I like this game :D

I do love a Hinckley. Some of the prettiest boats out there. You're right, I think by the time tomorrow morning rolls around, I'll want a KK 52.

Let me start by saying "I love where I live & wouldn't want to live any other place on the planet."

That said, I'm driving my dream boat and it only took 3.5 years to find it. It's relatively fast, has great guest accommodations, cruises or fishes, easily boarded, entertains quite well and resides in a 45' slip.

I have to admit, I never actually looked at an Ocean Alexander until about a week ago. I'm glad I finally did. The 423 Classico made my (somewhat realistic) short list immediately.

Having just returned from spending a few days aboard her again, I think I would have a pretty simple reply to the OP's original question.....

"See avatar"

I have my dream boat. :D:D

The boat I am currently sitting on reading TF
See avatar.

There you are! The lucky ones! I've often wondered what it must feel like to have bought the right boat...

This vessel has been the apple of my eye lately. The Passagemaker Lite 39, designed by our very own Tad Roberts. I don't know if any have been built or not, but I haven't been able to find any examples around.

There's so much to like here. The concept of the narrow, light, efficient hull shape is extremely appealing. Who here doesn't want great fuel economy and range, and the ability to do 12 knots?? Roll that up into a design as graceful and elegant as this, and you've got a real winner. She's absolutely beautiful.

The overall dimensions are manageable for single handing, but by pushing the interior spaces right out to the ship side, you have ample room for two to live in comfort.

I used to think I needed a raised pilothouse with doors on both sides, and full walk around side decks, but with this, I'd just do my docking from the flying bridge. 360 degree sight lines, slide the door open and half a step later, you're handling lines. Throw a Bimini over the bridge, and you're out of the rain. You could even throw an oxygen tent up there if you're really scared of the weather. I'd skip the tent, and spend my rainy days in that glorious pilothouse.

I love the full width boat deck. Lots of room for the dink, and plenty of room to walk around besides. The cockpit looks like a great place to watch the sun set in a comfy deck chair. The layout of the interior spaces looks so cozy and inviting to me. Tad's notes mention that he might move the head all the way up to the forepeak, to avoid breaking the main cabin up into visually smaller spaces. I'm not sure I would. I think I like it where it is. Same for the galley style... uh... galley.

I picture her with a beautiful flag blue hull, with a white boot stripe and sea foam green bottom paint. White on the pilothouse, and white decks with gray nonskid. Maybe just a touch of bright work. A nice teak caprail around the cockpit, and maybe some grab rails on either side of the pilothouse brow. No teak on the decks.

I'm absolutely smitten. Sigh... Oh, the places we'd go...

Click here for more information

Attachments

• PML39.jpg
    PML39.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 120
This is an interesting thread. So many of you want what I would call ships!
I'm not so fond of large boats. It just seems like such a waste...
Maybe that is because we cruise alone, just the two of us and our two Scotish terriers.
I'm not sure there is any one boat that would do everything but I think that a couple of smaller boats with different attributes might suffice. We have a 39' boat on order now and that is about as large as anything I'd ever want. It also happens to be the exact boat we have been dreaming about. Go figure! If I were to add a second boat beyond the AT 395, it would likely be something with a mast and sails. Just not too big, definitely under 40'. Perhaps one of these?
M36 - Morris Yachts
Bruce

Agree, I love our boat and the adventures she has given us.

HOwever, a big OA or Tiara would be nice.

With that said, probably not in so cal. Low 40s is as big as I want to go.

This vessel has been the apple of my eye lately. The Passagemaker Lite 39, designed by our very own Tad Roberts. I don't know if any have been built or not, but I haven't been able to find any examples around.

There's so much to like here. The concept of the narrow, light, efficient hull shape is extremely appealing. Who here doesn't want great fuel economy and range, and the ability to do 12 knots?? Roll that up into a design as graceful and elegant as this, and you've got a real winner. She's absolutely beautiful.

The overall dimensions are manageable for single handing, but by pushing the interior spaces right out to the ship side, you have ample room for two to live in comfort.

I used to think I needed a raised pilothouse with doors on both sides, and full walk around side decks, but with this, I'd just do my docking from the flying bridge. 360 degree sight lines, slide the door open and half a step later, you're handling lines. Throw a Bimini over the bridge, and you're out of the rain. You could even throw an oxygen tent up there if you're really scared of the weather. I'd skip the tent, and spend my rainy days in that glorious pilothouse.

I love the full width boat deck. Lots of room for the dink, and plenty of room to walk around besides. The cockpit looks like a great place to watch the sun set in a comfy deck chair. The layout of the interior spaces looks so cozy and inviting to me. Tad's notes mention that he might move the head all the way up to the forepeak, to avoid breaking the main cabin up into visually smaller spaces. I'm not sure I would. I think I like it where it is. Same for the galley style... uh... galley.

I picture her with a beautiful flag blue hull, with a white boot stripe and sea foam green bottom paint. White on the pilothouse, and white decks with gray nonskid. Maybe just a touch of bright work. A nice teak caprail around the cockpit, and maybe some grab rails on either side of the pilothouse brow. No teak on the decks.

I'm absolutely smitten. Sigh... Oh, the places we'd go...

Click here for more information

There is one in SA for sale I think. New construction. Needs engines. Cool boat IMO.

Long cruise to get it here however!

Here it is:

http://www.passagemaker.co.za/specifications/

Last edited:
I love my girl. She's perfect, except for the stuff I want to change, upgrade or fix. I am a lucky woman.

ComingEast.jpg

Here's mine:
View attachment 43004

Just kidding.

Forgive me if this topic has already been covered, but I don't remember one like it since I've been here, and it's one of my favorite daydreams. I'm curious what boat you would have if money were no object. Say if you won the mega millions tomorrow, or that book you wrote about the mating practices of alligators became an overnight success. What would you get, and why? What would you do with it? Are you the type to get a 75 foot Nordhavn and set off for the horizon, or are you likely to keep it coastal, and get a classic woody or maybe something custom? No rules, pick whatever you want.

I think I'd most likely keep it under 55 feet. I'd want to be able to single hand it occasionally, and I wouldn't want to try that with anything more than that. I think I'd order a Krogen Express 52. I love the layout, I love the looks, I love the pilothouse, the flying bridge, and the cockpit. I love that it's got the ability to kick up it's skirt and boogie if you want, but would be perfectly happy running slow bell all day. I love the light, airy interior, too.

View attachment 43005
View attachment 43006

I would also consider a Fleming 55. I've always liked those a lot.

View attachment 43007

I'd keep along the coast for the most part, taking my time, seeing all there was to see. I'd want to run from the Great Lakes out through the Seaway and down the coast. I'd do the Bahamas and Caribbean. I'd take her over to the Left Coast and meander all the way up to Alaska and back. I used to have ocean crossing aspirations, but I think I'll leave that to Queen Mary 2.

So, what'll it be for you? A mega yacht with a full crew? I'm curious to see how many of you already have your dream boats. I bet there are a lucky few of us in that category.

Having just returned from spending a few days aboard her again, I think I would have a pretty simple reply to the OP's original question.....

"See avatar"

Interesting how far you two have shifted in the last year. I love both of your new favorites. Your choices make me want to expand my boundaries. But I like it in the SF Bay and CA Delta's relatively protected waters. For a guy who grew up on Midwest USA lakes and rivers, this is the big league! I don't feel a need to travel extensively outside the Golden Gate in the future.

So with that in mind, I think I've got the perfect boat for single handing in these waters. She's a bit slow at 7.5K, but I've got more time than money....and she's a cheap ol' gal. Just like her ol' man. I can fish in the winter in comfort and I can cruise in the summer for a couple weeks on end without plugging in or dropping off. Anything bigger would be too much to single hand with the ease of this boat. I love full walk arounds, high rails and hand holds. You can't take a step on my boat without a handhold within easy reach.

Yup...I guess I'll keep her.

I love my girl. She's perfect, except for the stuff I want to change, upgrade or fix. I am a lucky woman.

I'd lean toward a smaller boat for the area that I'm in and it would probably be a Formula 370 SS or something similar.

Fast, easy to handle and will go anywhere on the west coast of FL where I hang out... and will fit into most all marinas, restaurants, and anchorages without issue. Nice amenities for comfy overnights. That's all I need.

I've spent a lot of money on boats, liquor and loose women... the rest I've wasted.:)

Attachments

• 370.jpg
    370.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Have my last boat, and it works for me. So, I don't wonder about dream boats. :nonono:

A criminally-insane (certified!) artist's view:

Last edited:
Seeing you next to those dinosaurs, Mark...it makes me sit and think about how old you really are! My tip o' da hat to you Sir!

Al, please don't remind me! Meanwhile, enjoying life.

Here`s my current crush:Used Clipper 40 for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub. It does not need 2 270hp electronic Cummins. 2 230hp is as low as it goes, unless you take a single, again 230 or 270hp Cummins. On the market 2 years, way overpriced, or an issue, or both. It has 3 brokers, another advt says it has a 30K co-ordinating docking system. Sigh.

Last edited:
There is one in SA for sale I think. New construction. Needs engines. Cool boat IMO.

Long cruise to get it here however!

Here it is:

Specifications | Ataraxia Passagemaker

Yep, I've seen that one. That's one of the bigger 46 footers. Looks a little homemade on the interior. That would be quite the shakedown cruise!

Well, seeing as though we chose to be happy & humble rather than rich...if it were possible...this would be The One;

PassagemakerLite 46, fast, seaworthy, fuel-efficient long-range ocean cruiser ~ Power Boat Designs by Tad Roberts

Hey, alright! Another PML enthusiast! There's an almost finished 46 for sale... see above.

Here`s my current crush:Used Clipper 40 for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub. It does not need 2 270hp electronic Cummins. 2 230hp is as low as it goes, unless you take a single, again 230 or 270hp Cummins. On the market 2 years, way overpriced, or an issue, or both. It has 3 brokers, another advt says it has a 30K co-ordinating docking system. Sigh.

Current crush... with the way I change my mind, that's probably a much more fitting title to this thread :rolleyes:
I think that Clipper is just waiting for you to come along and scoop her up. That does seem jolly expensive though...

I now prefer ocean crossings from FL 350 .

My current dream boat would be a "box boat" , that would fit into a Sea Land oversized container and shipped for a few months here and there with little cost or effort.

My current dream boat would be a "box boat" , that would fit into a Sea Land oversized container and shipped for a few months here and there with little cost or effort.

That's a good idea

Obviously you are insensitive to the lure of remote South Pacific islands.

That's a good idea

Sadly its not mine , a fellow did a sail boat , but it was an insane deal to renove the KEEL and a bunch of other stuff.

Google sailboat in a container. We had onboard visit and there was enough room, although a power boat would be very different

I would select an Atkin version of a NJ Sea Skiff that would be beachable on its box keel and roll into the Sealand box on solid wooden rollers

With reverse deadrise the prop is protected in beaching , and according to Atkin the units are very rfficient.

No tank tests have been done because the prop lifts the stern underway.

I would simply use a small gas under 100HP car engine and do a fuel/speed graph , and install a diesel after the numbers are known. I have no problem with a gas engine but lots of ports ONLY have diesel.

AS the draft is so shallow a cover over the prop could allow access to the lobster box lines , as is done on British narrow boats.

After enough decades instead of AIREX , she would be welded or riveted aluminum.

I would really like to try riveted construction , as the biggest downfall of aluminum is the welding must be perfect.

Far Harbour 39 Sailboat Review | Cruising World

www.cruisingworld.com/sailboats/far-harbour-39-thinking-i...

Cruising World Magazine

May 12, 2008 - A pocket cruiser designed to fit in a shipping container impresses with its comfort and sailing performance. A boat review from our May 2007 ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom