View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #44
O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Other reasons to run radar all the time.

I get a better picture when I manually make adjustments to gain, sea clutter, etc. Those settings will change with range and sea conditions. When you need to optimize the picture in the fog or a rain storm, it needs to be instinctive, not trial an error. Use it every day and you will get very good at making these adjustments.

I'm slow. Well actually my boats are slow. Coming and going from the slip to maybe 5 miles off shore, I get passed regularly. The boats that use the slip next to my charter boat are Everglades 435s (43' center console) with 4 350 HP Yamahas (1,400 HP). Both of these boats cruise in the 40 knot range and can reach over 50 knots. At 15 knots they pass me like I'm standing still. The radar helps me keep track of boats coming up behind me so that I don't turn in front of them by accident.

I use the radar to analyse the weather I can't see. During the summer, afternoon thunder storms with lightning periodically happen. Running the range out to 36 or 48 miles let's me see the storm clouds that atmospheric conditions won't let me see.

I'm guessing I have around 5,000 hours on the original mag in my radar. The mag and the drive motor are the two wear out items in the antenna. So far so good. The original Navnets were targeted for the commercial market (charter boats, commercial fishing boats, etc) which meant continuous duty for days on end. My electronics guy said,"you'll never wear it out". For 2018 I'm considering new electronics for the charter boat. The Navnet displays are getting tired and will probably quit while the antennas just keep going. Of the 3 other radars I've had, none of the antennas ever quit; it was always the displays that died.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote