Buell Horns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a 12 volt compressor with a Kahlenberg whistle. The electric AFI horns on the boat were not working when we bought it. We considered air horns since we already had the compressor and tank, but ultimately decided to go with electric since the wirinig was already in place, it would provide a second means of sound if the compressor wasn't working, and becuase they are instant sound (no need to wait for the comressor to build pressure if it is off when we need the horn, like at anchor). We installed Ongaro horns to replace the AFI and have been very happy. Very loud and a great sound (very similar to air). The Ongaro trumpets are stainless, so should last much longer than the AFI. Plus, the have the exact same mounting holes so it was an easy replacement. We love the whistle but use it more for fun than for serious signaling. Kids love it.

Sooner or later, if this thread keeps running, someone will post the regulations and the appropriate pitch for horns on certain sized boats.

In the meantime, I went from a small high pitched 12v air horn to a dual trumpet electric (which has turned out to be an unreliable PITA) and I am considering moving on again, this time to a dual trumpet air horn. It's got to be 12 volt though, I'm not running an inverter to run a compressor to blow a horn.

I can't remember the brand off hand but someone has one for a couple hundred dollars. What I don't understand though, is why these are not stainless steel instead of chrome plated brass.

BTW: Reading the above post, the ones I am having trouble with are the "best" Ongaro trumpets.

?.. I am considering moving on again, this time to a dual trumpet air horn. It's got to be 12 volt though, I'm not running an inverter to run a compressor to blow a horn.

I can't remember the brand off hand but someone has one for a couple hundred dollars. What I don't understand though, is why these are not stainless steel instead of chrome plated brass....

9 years ago we installed 12 volt air, duel horn. No problems and it does everything that I need. $200 at the time.

Marinco-AFI, Dual Trumpet Air Horn, Chrome Plated Solid Brass, 12v or 24v Volt

The Coot's air reservoir:

Carolena - I have been looking for a whistle like the harbor tugs communicate with.
WesK - I got our 12v compressor from AirHornsofTexas - it draws 15-20amps when pumping up the tank from empty but otherwise does not use much to keep the tank ready. I seldom turn the compressor off.

Carolena - I have been looking for a whistle like the harbor tugs communicate with.

That is pretty much what ours sounds like, but note quite as loud. When we lived up north I had a good friend who was a captain on the harbor tugs and went out with him several times. I always enjoyed the way they communicated with the pilot via whistles. The pilot would make a request over the radio and the tug would respond by whistle.

Keep in mind that they use a ton of air volume, much more than the horns, so you will need a good sized tank. If we were building the boat today, I'm not sure I would have spent the money on it, but we do enjoy having it. Every time we pass friends on the water they shout over asking for us to blow the whistle. One way to keep costs down would be to get the whistle from Kahlenberg and order a compressor/tank from somewhere else.

A couple of the trucks up here put on train horns.
They sure get your attention when they pull the valve!!!

Ted

Really like the Kahlenberg #116 whistle tone. Thought long and hard about adding one to Slow Hand when I bought the fog horn. Maybe some day.

Ted

9 years ago we installed 12 volt air, duel horn. No problems and it does everything that I need. $200 at the time.

Marinco-AFI, Dual Trumpet Air Horn, Chrome Plated Solid Brass, 12v or 24v Volt

You are fortunate.

These electrical horns use a set of electrical contacts or "points" that are attached to a diaphragm. Current flows through the contacts to a coil that pulls the diaphragm and at the same time breaks the electrical connection. The diaphragm retracts, contact is made again and the process repeats.

The problem is, if the points corrode, there is no electrical continuity and the process never starts.

I can fix my horns by taking them apart and cleaning the contacts but that only works for a while. It's hard to do without either falling off the boat or dropping small parts into the water.

I keep a small compressed air hand held horn within reach for emergencies or when I need to point a horn in a specific direction.

OMG! The Queen Mary! I've got some picture somewhere of me riding the drive shaft of the QM. It was an alcohol related event after touring the ship's 7 bars. It makes quite a story. I'll try to find it.

Off topic, but that bridge in the background is incredibly like like the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Same design elements and it looks like exactly the same color.

That's the Ambassador Bridge spanning from Detroit to Windsor, Ontario. Not sure if it's related to the Tacoma Narrows, but I haven't seen it doing the wave, so that's good.

OMG! The Queen Mary! I've got some picture somewhere of me riding the drive shaft of the QM. It was an alcohol related event after touring the ship's 7 bars. It makes quite a story. I'll try to find it.

:rofl: Good work!

Eureka!!

(it wasn't turning.)

Attachments

• QM Shaft.jpg
    QM Shaft.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 53
That is pretty much what ours sounds like, but note quite as loud. When we lived up north I had a good friend who was a captain on the harbor tugs and went out with him several times. I always enjoyed the way they communicated with the pilot via whistles. The pilot would make a request over the radio and the tug would respond by whistle.

Keep in mind that they use a ton of air volume, much more than the horns, so you will need a good sized tank. If we were building the boat today, I'm not sure I would have spent the money on it, but we do enjoy having it. Every time we pass friends on the water they shout over asking for us to blow the whistle. One way to keep costs down would be to get the whistle from Kahlenberg and order a compressor/tank from somewhere else.

Harbor tugs usually had two distinct whistles. One was a "Pea whistle" for ship docking communications with the docking pilot and the Horn which was used for everything else...

Yes, they had both the whistle and horn. Horn used as horns are used, such as long blast when leaving the dock. Whistle was only used to communicate with the pilot.

Eureka!!

(it wasn't turning.)

lucky for you it wasn't underway...

Now, you get a tour of the boat, no engineering areas are allowed.

The interesting fact of the QM horns is that they now adorn the QM2 and are just as deafening. In our recent crossing, we had fog for 5 out of 8 days and heard them regularly while on deck. Your chest resonates with their sound when they blow the horns.

Stu

The interesting fact of the QM horns is that they now adorn the QM2 and are just as deafening. In our recent crossing, we had fog for 5 out of 8 days and heard them regularly while on deck. Your chest resonates with their sound when they blow the horns.

Stu

One of the original horns is aboard QM2. The other two stayed aboard QM. I think they sound at 55hz, which is too low to be legal these days. You do feel it in the chest, and it's magnificent. :thumb:

Stu

The engineering areas including the bridge and the engine room were off limits to us, too. We sweet talked the housekeeping staff to get in, then disappeared into the belly of the beast for a couple hours. It was an incredible experience.

It was my last stay on the ship several years ago. I found one bronze wood screw in the recesses that has made its way onto FlyWright.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom