View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #24
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I'd humbly suggest that surviving an 8' fall, head first, onto concrete is simply lucky... Not sure I'd want to assign a label as to the kind of luck....
Wow!
Bruce
RE 8' fall onto concrete: Hard Headed [75% Irish/25% Italian] is all the doctors, my wife, our kids, our grand kids and I can come up with. I was really "spaced-out" for a few weeks and still felt repercussions (funny how that rimes with concussions) regarding balance and equilibrium in general for months. Once I got over those hurdles all seems to have returned to OK... for about eight years now.

Re Auto Accident: Head injury, i.e. 7 day coma, that I was in from auto accident [wrapped the car around a tree due to high speed tire blow out on a curve] at 21 produced considerably more pronounced affects than the above. Took a week +/- after regaining consciousness before I could use correct words in a sentence and therefore talk understandably. At very first days I did not recognize people, family included; nor understood where I was. Balance and my inner-brain directional compass were really screwed up for many, many months. Wheel chair for a while because if I stood, even with crutches, I'd topple over. Took a couple years for that accident's repercussions to truly mollify. There are still some incidental lingering affects regarding nerve actions and feeling responses for muscles and skin on left side of face and skull. Scars lines over left eye and lower lip area have basically turned into looking like age lines at 64 years. Costs for new teeth (upper and lower) every couple decades to replace the fronts that were knocked out is the cost of "doing life". After couple decades of OK teeth - since current re-do - I recently spent $16K on my teeth. For what my "Doc" accomplished over the span of a full year that is a bargain to be sure . Love my mid 60 yr. old dentist! Now, my mouth should be good to go into my mid 80's or longer???? Last complete re-do lasted a full 30 yrs.

BTW - Loving Life! Being alive and getting back to 99.5% capable after some of my accidents is a blessing to be sure. In addition to being a hard headed Irish/Italian for recovering from head injuries - I also daily Thank My Creator - i.e. God... or what ever handle one may like to affix!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote