Peter B
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Yup. Of course, I kind of want to check the anchor when the wind or current direction change significantly anyway. So an alarm that goes off in such a situation, even if the anchor has not dragged, is fine with me.

To be honest, it is all academic for me anyway. With the size of my prostate, I am up a few times in the night anyway, and always take the opportunity to check anchor position.
Now that is probably the best anchor check or alarm of all - actually looking and checking the bearings to other boats, and the landmark items one has made a note of before dark. If it's the bladder that sets you off, fine - you're killing two birds with one stone.

I think why no-one sets alarms where we boat is the anchorages are nearly always in channels next to or between islands, and we are often near a bank, one side or the other. An alarm circle to be worth doing would need to be too tight to be worth it. The way the currents flow and change, the anchor track is always an irregular ellipse, and you can anchor quite near the shore or bank, and never swing near it in the night, because the current influence is always way more than the wind direction.