View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 08:24 AM   #9
Bruce B
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not really suggesting much more than if you have the chance, gets some real life hands on.

The broadband has great close in performance,average mid range and not so great distance performance....

So my question for the dpller is, are you giving anything up to go doppler?

As far as open array versus dome, I am with Capt Bill unless you are going bigger than 4KW. Even then, some domes are pretty big now, some as big as some open arrays...so look at bar length and the beam angles to compare. Even that doesn't guarantee better definition.
Interesting. We've had more than our share of really foggy passages under radar guidance and when it is needed, you want everything you can get. I remember a particular trip coming back from Maine a few years ago. We'd left Tennants Harbor and made a run for the Cape Cod Canal. We transited the canal in a light fog and decided to push through to Cuttyhunk. As we chugged down Buzzards Bay the fog got thicker and thicker. By the time we got to Cuttyhunk at about 2 in the morning, we couldn't see the bow of the boat!

Now, when it is great visibility, I'd noticed that our plotter used to plot us over land when we were in the middle of the channel. It is a fairly narrow channel so we were well within the margin of error for WAAS GPS so it never really bothered me. Same thing happens when we enter our marina, the tracks show us as going across land sometimes...

Anyway, we know we can't go in strictly by plotter, visibility is ZERO and radar is working perfectly. I always tune my radar for peak performance too. Auto is great for a starting point but I am continually tweaking gain, sea clutter etc.

As we got to the Cuttyhunk channel entrance we slowed to a crawl. Target definition was barely enough to get the job done. That nice high rocky breakwater should have provided a great target (and usually does) but the rain and fog really was too much for our system. We figured it all out, very slowly and made our way in safely but I swore that if I ever had an opportunity to get a system that would work better under those circumstances I'd do it.

This new boat is that opportunity and I'm trying to learn as much as I can before making my decision...
Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote