best bow thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I right in assuming it runs on beer? Could get exxpensive!

Are those proprietary flippers? Just want to make sure that the parts will be available locally.

Toggle switch fails

The toggle switch that controls the hydraulic fluid direction has failed on the same side twice. Going to port. It pulls in the clutch fine ,then starts to miss. Not good when docking!! New switch, tight, clean connections and starts all over. Port direction only. Any suggestion?? Archie Bricker/Remedy

A useable thruster came on this CHB I bought last spring and having run boats enough with one prop, I didn't figure I would have much use for it but I admit it is real handy to have in close quarters. I also know I can run the boat without it because I had to on a couple of occasions and sometimes just forget its there. I forget what brand it is but it works well when needed. Thruster is a Wesmar, looked at the survey.

Last edited:
My guess is that a hydraulic sandwich was included in the development of this technique.

I don't want this to turn into a "Real men don't use thrusters" thread.
In my situation I would just feel more comfortable with thrusters. I bought my first boat in 1981 and have progressed from 16 ft to 38 ft with many in between. One thing I've learned in 30 years is a, stress free happy captain makes for a better journey.

I do plan on doing this myself. A friend is a fiberglass man and we're going to swap services. I have done most if not all of my own work, So I am plenty capable of doing it. It's also the only way I can afford boating. $3500 budget is what I'm thinking (hoping).

Plan is to do this during winter layup so I'm doing my homework now.
All replys are greatly appreciated.
Clay

i also have a single engine boat (Cheerman PT 38) and just like you I plan to install a bow thruster and do most or hopefully all of the work myself during the winter haul out. I am leaning toward hydraulics but am undecided right now. I hope a few more people on this forum can provide some factual advice on installation, cost, advantage of hyd. vs electric and whether there are brands to stay away from.
So far three or four of the many posts have been very helpful. The rest ..... well.... what can i say?

Me thinks you doth protest too much

I'm not proving anything...just suggesting that overconfidence brought upon by overreliance on certain tools can lead to problems.

It's not an "old timer thing"....it's from a current, highly educated and trained boating instructor and professional captain who thinks having certain skills is an asset...

It's a widely accepted concept in all kinds of operations (feel free to read up on it) ....certainly is true of boating also...that's all...if you read carefully...I have said buy and use them if you want...just don't crash into me because of overconfidence or equipment failure.

Failure of a main engine is one thing...mishaps because of thrusters are much more avoidable.

I remembering the same BS about using calculators when I was in high school, while still using a slide rule. Some people argue that we should not be allowed to use calculators because batteries might die, calculators would be few and far between, and what would happen if they broke, God for bid.

Using a technology, such as a bow thrusters, does not mean that someone is reliant upon it. The only people in my Marina who tease me about using a bow thruster, are those who don't have one. Now, I have to admit, that I often forget I have one and only use the two engines. But on the few occasions I have needed one I have been happy that it was there.

Add oh, by the way, I learned that with two engines and a bow thruster I can walk a boat perfectly sideways in either direction. Those of you with two engines and no bow thruster good luck with that.

Gordon

It is amazing...

I don't know if the percentage is that high.... but I agree that there are boaters out there without the ability to properly handle their boats in difficult conditions. We were tied up on a face dock at a marina in New Hampshire where the current runs at about 7 knots and the tides are up to 10 feet. A cruiser tried to dock in front of us and lost control... he rammed into our bow, almost took off our pulpit and ground into us for about 10 minutes before he was able to back off. I certainly wish he had a bow thruster that day!!!!

How quickly we are ready to criticize others. I have been on boats for the past 20 years, but have never experienced a seven not current anywhere docking or otherwise. So even though I have a great deal of experience I can imagine that trying to dock a boat and a seven not current for the first time would definitely make me anxious.

I doubt there are more than one or two people on this forum who have ever Docked a boat in seven knot current. Those of you who have done this, you are simply boater gods and can pat yourselves on the back.

Gordon

Installing a thruster tube in a glass boat is a simple one day job for a handy fella with average DIY skills. Hell if I can do it anyone can :)

Attachments

• 005 (2).JPG
    005 (2).JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 71
Installing a thruster tube in a glass boat is a simple one day job for a handy fella with average DIY skills. Hell if I can do it anyone can :)

Agree. Well, maybe more than a day. I did the inside layup in a day, and did the outside layup and fairing another day. But certainly in the realm of most DIY.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472612598.613328.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472612677.156988.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472612713.848122.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472612783.304354.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472612851.941154.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472612910.280217.jpg

So, installing an electric bow thruster is not rocket science. Believe it not, the hole was cut with a jig saw. Just take your time. The unit is a Vetus 8 hp. Fiberglassing was done by a good glass guy and took about a week at two or three hours a day to build up and fair the lip. I installed the hardware and electrical hook up. Battery is fitted in next compartment aft. Charger is installed in another compartment. I was lucky to have multiple compartments under the V berth. The cost of the unit was $3,800. I paid my fiberglass guy about $750. Rest was on me.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

One thing to remember is the hole being cut in the hull is not a round circle, its an ellipse, because the tube is not going thru at 90 degrees.

Uhh. Yup. Look at photo three at the tube extension through the hull. I scribed the end of the tube to the angle of the bow entry and used that to mark the cut on the hull. It's not really an ellipse, it's a flattened circle. The top side is a different shape than the bottom.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

"A shape that resembles a flattened circle", Merriam Webster
"A closed plane curve shaped like an oval" Websters Dictionary

sort of sounds like an ellipse to me, but then I aint no math master.
The fellow that told me that had a Masters in Engineering as I was about to cut a big hole in the side of a biggish wood boat for one.

Last edited:
I never regretted fitting a bow thruster for one minute but I would add one caveat, whatever size the salesman or manufacturer tell you, fit one two sizes larger, you'll thank me in years to come.
The sales people just want a sale.
If it seems expensive some people may walk away and they lose a commission.
On the other hand, you have to live with your decision for the life of the boat.
Trust me.

I don't mean to monopolize your thread but the following may also be of interest to you.

I studied many installations before fitting mine and from watching other skippers get into a muddle when close quarters manoeuvring I designed my own system that has proven itself time after time.
I've seen lever operated, button operated, twist grip operated and as it wasn't ergonomic some skippers seemed to get in a tizz if a maneouver became complicated.
I thought 'out of the box and came up with my idea/invention.
None of the companies I approached could supply a single lever control to do the function I required so I 'spoke' to 'Hopcar' a TF commercial member, he's very helpful and supplied me with 2 controls and shipped them over to me at a very good price .

I bought a Morse 1700 series single lever control with combined rocker switch (it's original function was to raise and lower large outboard engines).

By fitting solenoids a light cable is used to the solenoid to activate the thruster.
Up on the rocker switch goes right and down goes left.
I hope you find this helpful.

Attachments

• DSCN3417.jpg
    DSCN3417.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN3418.jpg
    DSCN3418.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Doubt any thruster would be much help in a seven knot current,unless it is way ,way oversized.Worked on the staten island ferries for many years,where the typical east river current can be as much as five knots,and without warping fingers,the ferries would never get in.Typically,they have to bounce off a couple of times,and then some major throttle to get the boat lined up.

Has there been any mention of retractable thrusters? Side Power and others make them.

Add oh, by the way, I learned that with two engines and a bow thruster Those of you with two engines and no bow thruster good luck with that.

Gordon

Heck, I can do that with a single and no bow thruster.

It's called a spring line.:D

A spring line only works if it's on a dock or piling. It will do nothing for you until then.

Yeah you're right. But then I rarely recall ever finding the need to move directly
sideways in open water. :D

Nor can I remember not being able to get close enough to a dock to use a spring line.

Of course YMMV.

Moving sideways

Yeah you're right. But then I rarely recall ever finding the need to move directly
sideways in open water. :D

Nor can I remember not being able to get close enough to a dock to use a spring line.

Of course YMMV.

On more than a couple of locations, dockmaster's have placed me on a bulkhead in a space just large enough for my boat and in the middle of two other boats. Coming in at an angle just would not work very well. However being able to go completely sideways into the space is a big boon in such a situation.

Gordon

Vetus. Yes I use them when I dock. Its simply easier to use my rudder position indicator and center the rudder, then steer into the slip with a little tweak of the thrusters. Stress free is good. When the wind kicks up they can help what I am doing with steering and power application, but if it is windy enough they are useless.

The wind almost always comes from the same direction at our marina, and I am docked next to a boat about ten feet longer than mine and he blocks a lot of my wind. When the bow of my boat starts to have the wind blocked by his boat, the stern gets kicked to the port side, and the stern thruster can help with small adjustments.

Yup. Got 'em and use 'em and not ashamed about it.

On more than a couple of locations, dockmaster's have placed me on a bulkhead in a space just large enough for my boat and in the middle of two other boats. Coming in at an angle just would not work very well. However being able to go completely sideways into the space is a big boon in such a situation.

Gordon

The thruster is nice for that no doubt about it. And nice to have in general.

But a spring line would still get you in.

And honestly with twins you wouldn't even really need the spring unless the current or wind were not in your favor.

Truth is people have been getting in and out of those kinds of situations long before thrusters were common on boats much below 80'-100'.

Gordon - Agree. Had it happen a few times at a crowded fuel pier. Pull up parallel and shuffle sideways. Works like a dream.

The thruster is nice for that no doubt about it. And nice to have in general.

But a spring line would still get you in.

And honestly with twins you wouldn't even really need the spring unless the current or wind were not in your favor.

Truth is people have been getting in and out of those kinds of situations long before thrusters were common on boats much below 80'-100'.

Springs are great. However, it is a very rare event that there is any assistance when docking. Getting a spring on the cleat or around the bull rail when coming into a dock is extremely difficult and unsafe when short handed and all but impossible when single handing. So while I agree that spring lines are a useful tool, I just don't understand your insistence that spring lines will do the same job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom