Gordon J
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Me thinks you doth protest too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I'm not proving anything...just suggesting that overconfidence brought upon by overreliance on certain tools can lead to problems.

It's not an "old timer thing"....it's from a current, highly educated and trained boating instructor and professional captain who thinks having certain skills is an asset...

It's a widely accepted concept in all kinds of operations (feel free to read up on it) ....certainly is true of boating also...that's all...if you read carefully...I have said buy and use them if you want...just don't crash into me because of overconfidence or equipment failure.

Failure of a main engine is one thing...mishaps because of thrusters are much more avoidable.

I remembering the same BS about using calculators when I was in high school, while still using a slide rule. Some people argue that we should not be allowed to use calculators because batteries might die, calculators would be few and far between, and what would happen if they broke, God for bid.

Using a technology, such as a bow thrusters, does not mean that someone is reliant upon it. The only people in my Marina who tease me about using a bow thruster, are those who don't have one. Now, I have to admit, that I often forget I have one and only use the two engines. But on the few occasions I have needed one I have been happy that it was there.

Add oh, by the way, I learned that with two engines and a bow thruster I can walk a boat perfectly sideways in either direction. Those of you with two engines and no bow thruster good luck with that.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote