Old 08-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #26
dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Matt and I changed the impeller on our starboard engine and even though the access was RIGHT THERE in the middle of the ER it was a HORRIBLE project. We had a mechanic change the port impeller and we have NO IDEA how he actually accessed it to remove it. We are thinking either a trained chimpanzee or a very skinny toddler with exceptional dexterity.
Changing the impeller on my new boat was a week long process. I got the old impeller out with difficulty (bought an impeller puller finally) but then couldn't get the replacement back in. I had a mechanic down to the boat who was pulling the aftercooler and had him try. He couldn't either. I finally bought another impeller and it went in (relatively) easily. Turns out the spare that I had, even with the same factory part number stamped on the rubber, just was too big.

Anyway, changing impellers can be a PIA. However, I think it is important to have a spare and know how to change it should the situation demand. It would be worth trying to do it yourself again next year and see if you can figure out the techniques for making it work out. Of course with twins, the importance of the spare and being able to do it on your own may be less of an issue than for those of us who are numerically challenge in the engine room.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote