How many TrawlerForum members?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey S

Guru
Vessel Make
Trawler
This came up on another thread...

How many TrawlerForum members are there?

If you scroll to the bottom of the home page it says, Members 13,405. But if you go to the Community menu at the top and then select Members List, it comes up with only 5,162 members listed.

So which is it? It seems that only the 5,162 produces an actual list so I tend to believe that number. Why does it then show 13,405 and where does that unsubstantiated number come from?

similarweb.com provides some web statistics for comparing websites. TrawlerForum is currently experiencing about 75,000 visits per month. That's pretty good for a boating website. It's only 10% of other forums like CruisersForum.com but TrawlerForm is obviously more specialized. sailnet.com shows about 5x the traffic of TrawlerForum - I guess sailors talk more.

similarweb is a good source for getting basic web statistics. It isn't perfect but it's quite good for making comparisons of traffic and success.

Jeff, it's quality not quantity. Ask anybody (except you) here, and they'll tell you this site beats your site on Farsebook, hands down. ;)

Ted

I wouldn't say sailors talk more. They are just a much broader demographic. You can buy a floating functional $1000 sailboat. But not many $1000 trawlers out there. That broadens the demographic many times over.

........... it's quality not quantity.

Yep.

I think many websites devolve into arguing sites over time. The Cruisers site is really bad but this place isn't far behind. There's some good information here but there's bad information as well. If you don't know the difference, it could get you into trouble.

As for Jeffery's Facebook group, I know of several people he threw off the group for disagreeing with him too forcefully.

I wouldn't say sailors talk more. They are just a much broader demographic. You can buy a floating functional $1000 sailboat. But not many $1000 trawlers out there. That broadens the demographic many times over.

Put a fork in it...this one's done!

We aren't burdened w $1000 boat riff raff here on TF. Just a select group of high rollers?

Wes, how forcefully did the guys on Jeff's FB group "disagree w him"? There's "I respectfully disagree" to really ugly. I won't give an example of really ugly as we run a nice clean house here. I can only think of one bad apple.

Jeff, it's quality not quantity. Ask anybody (except you) here, and they'll tell you this site beats your site on Farsebook, hands down.

I'm not comparing against the ActiveCaptain Facebook group. I don't think I even mentioned it. I'm just curious - how many actual members are there here? There are two numbers, vastly different.

No one was ever removed or banned from the ActiveCaptain Facebook group for disagreeing with me. That's ridiculous. I love a good debate/argument. The one thing that isn't tolerated there by the admins is personal attacks, especially when there is no relationship to the subject. The group also doesn't allow any politics in discussions and all debates must be respectful.

Again though, none of that has to do with the question posed and the point of this thread (stop the thread drift - go start your own thread about getting banned on the ActiveCaptain Facebook group).

Can someone give some type of proof about the number of members here and provide information about why there are 2 numbers?

I would hate to see a simple question/observation devolve into yet another pissing match on TF. Maybe folks can try www.sharpening.com as a place to grind their axes?

.............. No one was ever removed or banned from the ActiveCaptain Facebook group for disagreeing with me. That's ridiculous. ................................

I know better than that.

Why does it matter how many members there are and isn't this just a continuation or restart of a thread that was closed?

Why? And just curious is not a good answer.

Greetings,
I thin a much more relevant question is how many ACTIVE (post at least once every 6 mos. or so) are there? I would expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 200. Mr. Baker. Any stats on that?

I can see someone joining and, for whatever reason, not participating. Site is: Less interesting/informative than they first thought, too argumentative, banned them from contributing (NOT common but does happen), insulting to their nationality (happened at least twice I can recall), they've moved on or lost interest or their choice of anchor...etc.

Interesting question, Jeffery. Looking forward to an accurate answer.

Greetings,
I thin a much more relevant question is how many ACTIVE (post at least once every 6 mos. or so) are there?.........

Of course. People join and then drift away or even pass away. As far as I know, members are not purged after X days or months of not participating. Of course the same would be said of a Facebook group. Several of my Facebook friends and group members are actually dead. Like in no longer living on this earth.

Wes, how forcefully did the guys on Jeff's FB group "disagree w him"? There's "I respectfully disagree" to really ugly..

I don't really know the answer to that, just that they reported that they has been banned. Jeffrey, as he posted in this thread, doesn't mind a good argument, but he doesn't like losing.

I don't really know the answer to that, just that they reported that they has been banned. Jeffrey, as he posted in this thread, doesn't mind a good argument, but he doesn't like losing.

No one has ever been banned for disagreeing with me. People have had posts removed (same as here). Sometimes that devolves into a hissy fit. If they can't handle it, they get banned. Once you're banned, you rarely have anything good to say about the place you were banned from. So unless you have the interaction copy or saw it yourself, you're getting unreliable information. This is why hearsay isn't allowed as court testimony.

And while it's true that, just like anyone else, I don't like losing, it happens so rarely :)D) that I embrace it and all failures. There's no better learning experience from failure.

Why does it matter? Is this a case of my members is bigger than your members?

Why? And just curious is not a good answer.

When has anyone else had to justify the start of a thread? It's a simple question. There are two website "stats" given that are wildly different.

For all you know, I'd like to write a newsletter all about TrawlerForum. That usually pushes 5,000 people or more to click on whatever we write about (depending on what we say). So perhaps I'd like to see how many new members that would generate as a percentage because, just maybe, it would lessen the continuous negative bashing I get on everything I write.

...there's always wishful thinking...

I think that's worthy of a PM to a moderator versus open dialog and "wondering out loud...."

I think that's worthy of a PM to a moderator versus open dialog and "wondering out loud...."

And yet it generated 18 postings within a couple of hours. That's more than a lot of threads generate about trawler-specific subjects!

OK, it appears that vBulletin has an update counts item in their AdminCP. When that's not done, the counts can get out of whack. The member list is the real list - there are 5,100 members on TrawlerForum. Of course there are - that's the only list that provides each member's identity. The cached counter shown at the bottom of the home page is quickly cached so the member count doesn't need to be queried on every page display. That count can get messed up when people don't validate their account or for a hundred other reasons from vBulletin.

Do any of the admin/moderators here have AdminCP credentials? When was the last time you updated the Update Forum Statistics section on the Update Counters page?

Why does it matter? Is this a case of my members is bigger than your members?

There's no question about that. It's not close. But it has nothing to do with my request for info.

Wouldn't all the members here like to know how many there are?

When has anyone else had to justify the start of a thread? It's a simple question. There are two website "stats" given that are wildly different.

For all you know, I'd like to write a newsletter all about TrawlerForum. That usually pushes 5,000 people or more to click on whatever we write about (depending on what we say). So perhaps I'd like to see how many new members that would generate as a percentage because, just maybe, it would lessen the continuous negative bashing I get on everything I write.

...there's always wishful thinking...

Come on Jeff, you're like the little boy with the stick pocking the nest. All of a sudden the bees come out and you have no idea why. You're too smart for anyone to believe this thread isn't another poke at the nest. You just can't resist stirring it up.

Ted

I'm still young on here but based on a couple months I agree with OC Diver. Whether deserved or not and versus other tradespeople who interact on here....a reputation seems to have been gained that is "a bit challenging", first with a chip on the shoulder or daring in that regard. The early posts seem to have some innuendo as why would their be a comparison to AC as hat is on FB and is not a digested forum such as TF. Hell, I bought my 4700 fans on my own businesses page and hold a record for the most fans of any page in my field...., so know that it's the cock walk when using those stats.

Just my two cents, and maybe I should just sit back to watch what ends up being a catfight and again, whether deserved it not, but it does seem that certain people do bring out some bitterness that for this forum is just best to tone the testosterone down.

OK, it appears that vBulletin has an update counts item in their AdminCP. When that's not done, the counts can get out of whack. The member list is the real list - there are 5,100 members on TrawlerForum. Of course there are - that's the only list that provides each member's identity. The cached counter shown at the bottom of the home page is quickly cached so the member count doesn't need to be queried on every page display. That count can get messed up when people don't validate their account or for a hundred other reasons from vBulletin.

Do any of the admin/moderators here have AdminCP credentials? When was the last time you updated the Update Forum Statistics section on the Update Counters page?

The member list can have filters...did you know that? Therefore it is not the "real list". Maybe the list is set at a month...a year...I don't know. So I have some homework for you. Go through that entire list and see when the oldest post is made and see if there is a pattern. It is listed in alphabetical order as you know...not in recency of posts. Maybe you can determine where the filter is set.

What I do know is that it is not our job to provide you with forum statistics. It is not our job to do research on forum statistics. It is not our job to update the forum to your liking. Most people are quite happy and could give a rat's ass about forum statistics. You are likely mining information for some business reasons and that is not our job to further your profit margins. SO go do your homework and make your decisions based on what you find. If you feel all warm and fuzzy knowing our membership is 5100, great...nothing to see here....move along!!! If you are threatened by 13.4, then maybe it is 13.4.

I have asked you this question before....WHY ARE YOU HERE? It certainly is not the reason everyone else is here.

Last edited:
Why is he here?

To drive statistics at his website. He has admitted to me via pm that controversy involving him at this website increases traffic at his own. His mission on other folks website is to stir the pot plain and simple.

Why is he here?

To drive statistics at his website. He has admitted to me via pm that controversy involving him at this website increases traffic at his own. His mission on other folks website is to stir the pot plain and simple.

I knew that. Just wanted him to say it. He demands an answer for a stupid question yet he can't answer a simple one. A very fundamental one.

Go through that entire list and see when the oldest post is made and see if there is a pattern.

Good idea. All you need to do is click on Join Date. So the oldest member is 10/1/2007.

Interestingly, member 17, who joined on 10/5/2007 is little ole me. I was written by the group starting it up to come add to the group. I was also one of the earliest members of "TrawlerWorld" (now T&T) back in the 90's.

But even more interesting from the member list:

- 66% of the members have made fewer than 10 posts.

- 4 members have made more than 10,000 postings (deserving an OMG award)

- 93 members have made more than 1,000 postings and are responsible for the bulk of the conversations here.

I have asked you this question before....WHY ARE YOU HERE? It certainly is not the reason everyone else is here.

I'd bet I've owned a trawler longer than most of the people here. I'd bet I've put more miles on a trawler than most of the people here. I'd bet that I've lived aboard a trawler for longer than most of the people here.

I routinely answer questions about trawlers, marine electronics, etc. Are you telling me that I'm not welcome here? Or that my postings (when I'm not being attacked) are not useful here?

Here's a challenge to you - how about creating a list of the people, in order, who have received the most "Thanks"? That should be easy to do. List the top 100 members - they should be proud of their accomplishment and helpful advice. And I'll bet I'm on that list (I'm not in the top 93 list of people who post a lot).

Even better - then take that list and divide the number of thanks by the number of posts. That will give a percentage of useful posts made by the member. Post that order. Then challenge me about why I'm here. In fact, as a shortcut, how about just posting that percentage for me and for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom