Painting wood dinghy transom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Any suggestions of the type of paint to use? Just use a good exterior paint or go with a marine type paint?

Thanks,

Bob

So many hours, so few responses!

What's the rest of the dink? Any issues with the joint to the (fiberglass?) hull or the knees?

If sound, bare wood, coat out in epoxy then paint with Brightside Polyurethane. If sound paint or varnish, sand it clean and paint with Brightside Polyurethane.

Bestest efforts plus bestest materials means fewerest do-overs.

There was some wood rot in one corner. I have filled that with liquid penetrating epoxy. The rest of the transom is sound. Just noticed today that just about all of the rubrail has separated from the tubes.
The dinghy has been hanging on davits for at least two years now and the tubes are still inflated. Best boat unit I ever spent.
It's siting the garage right now waiting to get the transom painted and I guess get the rubrail glued back on. Any thoughts on that project?

So many hours, so few responses!

What's the rest of the dink? Any issues with the joint to the (fiberglass?) hull or the knees?

If sound, bare wood, coat out in epoxy then paint with Brightside Polyurethane. If sound paint or varnish, sand it clean and paint with Brightside Polyurethane.

Bestest efforts plus bestest materials means fewerest do-overs.

Exactly what I did, using leftover Brightside. 3years, still holding up well. Wood transom on Zodiac.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom