Ford Lehman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gbinterim

Vessel Name
Interim
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
All you Ford Lehman owners I need your help. I have a FL 120 and have developed a oil leak and for the life of me I can't figure out where it's coming from. The oil leaks out of the bottom of the starter solenoid. I've inspected the upper part of the engine and she is dry. I did find a piece of foam stuck between the starter and the solenoid. It leaks more with the removal of the foam. The leak is about 1 pint every 70 hrs. Any suggestions. Thanks for all your help.

Greetings,
Mr. Gb. Haven't got a clue BUT could it be your main seal is leaking and the oil is being flung about by the flywheel and the starter motor is the easiest leak? Is there any oil on the bottom of the bell housing?

I've not see the back of the engine under the bell housing, yet. But maybe there's a oil gallery plug that's leaking?

Lehmans have two starter solenoids usually.

My Lehman has the normal one attached to the top of the starter like 99% of all states and a second one maybe 6 inches in front of the starter, mounted to the lower engine block.

There are Lehman starters with the second solenoid also attached to the starter If I recall.

Can't speak for oil leaks on the last I described, but with my engine...the oil pressure sender is right next to the stand alone solenoid and oil drips from it sometimes, though the actual oil seepage is from the sender area.

Without pics, really hard to help.

Could be oil pressure switch. When they get old, they leak at the top where the wire connector come in.

I've taken pictures of the area but I'm trying to figure how to post pictures. Would appreciate any help.

Oil leak

This is the area in question. The black rubber was inserted into the slot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 137
Oil leak

Sorry for the additional post. I thought I submitted both pictures. I'm a newbie to uploading pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 99
So far, IMHO, Firefly submitted the more logical cause. I had this same issue though not through the starter area, but a rear main leaking. The oil is slung with great intensity, makes sense that a path of least resistance as the main seal being the culprit. Keep us advise when you do have a actuate determination. We all can use results of inquiry such as yours.

Al-Ketchikan

GB,

Check your private messages.

Bob

Bob, nothing received-sorry Al

My Lehman SP135 oil leak was associated with a lightly leaking valve cover gasket. Leaked oil was first noted in the area of the aft port engine mount. The leaked oil from the valve cover followed a hard to detect path which passed in proximity to the starter. Just a thought. Good luck.
Cheers,
-David

Check your lift pump gasket. Amazing where the oil gets to and it's very common.

I think he found the problem...an all too common one it seems.

My Lehman SP135 oil leak was associated with a lightly leaking valve cover gasket. Leaked oil was first noted in the area of the aft port engine mount. The leaked oil from the valve cover followed a hard to detect path which passed in proximity to the starter. Just a thought. Good luck.
Cheers,
-David

Yup. Had the same issue. I replaced the gasket and started all over. Try not to over tighten though. It will leak. :facepalm: The book says 12-18 ft. lbs. torque.

Call American Diesel in Kilmarnock, VA. Speak to Bob or Brian Smith. They will have the answer for you.[/url]

Well, they solved my issue. I was using the dipstick factory Mark for oil levels. No one warned me upfront that since the engine sits in a tail down angle the original factory Mark is no good. I was overfilling. Appears the common sense gene was dormant, :facepalm:so Bryan had to tell me.

I did as he suggested. Emptied All the oil in the engine..bone dry. Then I put in the factory reccomended 14 quarts (as I recall). Then pulled the stick and filed a new Mark on the stick.....there, problem solved....... Thanks Bryan.

Last edited:
Lehman Oil Levels

It's amazing that some of the younger mechanics don't know of the overfill problem than can occur with Ford Lehman"s. When we were cruising had the oil changed one time by a mechanic unfamiliar with the Lehman and had oil all over the place. Also if you are new to the Lehman don't forget to change the oil in the injector pump.

I do not think the injector pump on the super 135 requires a separate oil change. Please correct me if I you think am wrong and I will break out the books. Do not want to neglect.

I do not think the injector pump on the super 135 requires a separate oil change. Please correct me if I you think am wrong and I will break out the books. Do not want to neglect.
Pretty sure that is correct...only the 120 has that maintenance item.

Plus it's not just young mechanics that don know Lehmans...plenty of diesel guys haven't seen a Lehman...location specific.

Last edited:

Unlike the 120, the oil in the 135 is part of the engine oil system. It never needs a separate change. No worries there.

Ken

I spoke to Brian at American Diesel and he first suggested to remove the plug at the bottom of the bell housing and drain any oil. He states that it is rarely a rear seal. I have eliminated the fuel lift pump as well as the valve gasket. Since the boat is in Alaska and we will not be back up there until next Spring, stay tuned for the final results. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Well, they solved my issue. I was using the dipstick factory Mark for oil levels. No one warned me upfront that since the engine sits in a tail down angle the original factory Mark is no good. I was overfilling. Appears the common sense gene was dormant, :facepalm:so Bryan had to tell me.

I did as he suggested. Emptied All the oil in the engine..bone dry. Then I put in the factory reccomended 14 quarts (as I recall). Then pulled the stick and filed a new Mark on the stick.....there, problem solved....... Thanks Bryan.

Next time mark the stick after you've filled and run the engine. So your new mark will reflect any oil that might remain in your filter after shut down.

Good point, I will add will be the 3rd mark on the dipstick.

Many more and I will need an AP for the phone.

I just changed my oil Sunday. I put in 10.5 quarts and it brings it up to the "min" mark on the standard dipstick.
If I run at that level the engine doesn't leak anything out.

The tube screws in and out of the block. Doesn't it make sense to measure the distance from the factory mark on the dip stick after a proper fill and engine warm up. Then remove the tube and cut the end off that amount so you don't have two confusing marks on your dip stick?

Just my 2 cents.

I've also considered that. Anybody try that yet? Can't really think of a downside.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom