American Tug 395, hull #12...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
We got the call today, they begin laying up our American Tug 395 next week!

We have spent months now considering colors, options, modifications and everything we can possibly think of concerning this boat. Other than a few items that we still have some time to mull over, we have made our decisions. The final order spreadsheet had over 100 items detailing what will become our new boat! We should take delivery in early April.

I'm sure I have driven them out of their minds during this process as I have great desire to understand as much as I can about every part of the boat and her systems. Kurt has gone out of his way to answer my questions, explain the why's and how's of what is done and he has entertained each of my requests for change. The man is a wealth of experience and knowledge. Often, when given the reasoning behind a certain system, it makes sense to go along with the status quo. They really do want to build an exceptional boat and it shows! I have full confidence in their abilities and I believe they have our best interest in mind.

Anyway, the nature of the project will begin to shift now. I will take the fall to focus on electronics and stereo, otherwise, I will sit back and enjoy the process.
Pinch me, I think I'm dreaming...

Bruce

P.s. As this build gets going in earnest, we will begin to post progress reports to a personal website that I will share here too.

Great news Bruce. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

That's really awesome Bruce. I can hardly imagine how exciting it must be. I'm pretty sure I'd drive them crazy, too.

That American Tug is a great boat. Please keep us posted.

Ken

Having gone through the process some 5-plus years ago, I'm familiar with your excitement and dizziness with choices. :thumb:

Great to hear. And when building a boat it makes perfect sense to insist on understanding why they prefer various alternatives or how to decide those that are options. 100 items sounds like a lot but we topped that on what is basically a production boat. A lot were simple yes or no and others that you could only choose one in a list of five or six. Even those items on which we had no choice were listed.

I like your making of the decisions up front and I'm sure the builder does. Builders I've worked with really wouldn't do it any other way. You had certain things, mostly cosmetic, that could be made later but they all had due dates listed.

I agree with you on a lot of "status quo" too. We went on generators with the builder's standard choice. Not our preferred brand, but a good brand and the one they have extensive experience wiring and setting up in that specific boat.

Look forward to your real excitement in about 8 months.

Bruce

Not sure what your current plans are for deck rails - I seem to recall you had a question in this regard. We were visiting with a fellow a few weeks ago that has a 395 with good height side rails and a matching dinghy cradle/lift on stern. Looked great and very functional. The side decks with the rails look quite safe and usable.

Bruce

Not sure what your current plans are for deck rails - I seem to recall you had a question in this regard. We were visiting with a fellow a few weeks ago that has a 395 with good height side rails and a matching dinghy cradle/lift on stern. Looked great and very functional. The side decks with the rails look quite safe and usable.

Thanks for that.
The height was never an issue for us, rather it was how far aft the rails ran.
American Tug makes 3 different rail sets for this model.
The standard set goes from the bow to just aft of the pilothouse doors.
A second design goes all of the way back to the cockpit with a gate just aft of the pilothouse doors and the third set goes straight from the bow to the cockpit without a gate.
We elected for the standard gate as we felt that the side decks were simply too narrow for maneuvering with the longer optional rails.
We spent some time on a 395 with the standard rails both sitting still and under power before we decided the stock option.
Bruce

Great to hear. And when building a boat it makes perfect sense to insist on understanding why they prefer various alternatives or how to decide those that are options. 100 items sounds like a lot but we topped that on what is basically a production boat. A lot were simple yes or no and others that you could only choose one in a list of five or six. Even those items on which we had no choice were listed.

I like your making of the decisions up front and I'm sure the builder does. Builders I've worked with really wouldn't do it any other way. You had certain things, mostly cosmetic, that could be made later but they all had due dates listed.

I agree with you on a lot of "status quo" too. We went on generators with the builder's standard choice. Not our preferred brand, but a good brand and the one they have extensive experience wiring and setting up in that specific boat.

Look forward to your real excitement in about 8 months.

I like to believe that I have a better than average handle/understanding about both mechanical and electrical systems. It is simply the way I am wired.
That being said, speaking to Kurt about the various systems was incredibly enlightening. It often showed me just how little I know...

As I said, I feel as though we are in very good hands!
Bruce

I like to believe that I have a better than average handle/understanding about both mechanical and electrical systems. It is simply the way I am wired.
That being said, speaking to Kurt about the various systems was incredibly enlightening. It often showed me just how little I know...

As I said, I feel as though we are in very good hands!
Bruce

The reality is they've done it a long time and they do things for a reason. If after hearing their reasons, you have a situation which makes an alternative better and worth pursuing, then great. Then you get them to change only those things that are very material to you. The other thing I found was that on things where they feel you need to have options, they generally offer them. I also never want to push a builder out of their comfort zone and some have a narrower comfort zone than others.

My builder followed my instructions for the layout of the helmsman's station. With a starboard helm, preferred readouts important to helmsman (rudder angle and fuel consumption, depth readings) to starboard and those displays/controls important to lookout and helmsman (horn, radar/gps, search-light control) to the left.

Congratulations. I can't wait to see photos of the finished product and in-process photos if available.

We've been thinking about the photo thing.
One of the things missing from the photos we have seen from the factory is the inclusion of the people building the boat! People make the photographed seem real and we are not sure how we will get our shots.
We live on the east coast so somehow we need to manage this from afar...
We are on it though and expect to figure something out...
Bruce

"I like to believe that I have a better than average handle/understanding about both mechanical and electrical systems. It is simply the way I am wired.

As I said, I feel as though we are in very good hands!"

That's nice,

BUT be sure to have a good survey before passing over the last 10%-20% or so.

It is the last time you will have any leverage to have building , outfitting mistakes cured.

We will survey the new boat. It is a good idea that is not often followed through on.
One problem for us will be that we will be taking delivery on the west coast and thus we know none of the surveyors in that area. We will figure it out though...
Good advice.
Bruce

Congratulations, that will be an excellent boat. I second the desire for high and solid hand rails, especially if they are high and sturdy the whole length of the boat's walkways. Also, helm layout is important to me too and with a custom build that is a huge plus.

Congrats on the new build.

congrats,looking forward to your progress reports.Its a beautiful looking boat,definitely on my future short list

Call this guy for a survey in that area. Comes highly recommended:

Marine Consultants Inc.
Marine Surveyors and Consultants
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Worldwide Service
Call: 360 815-0535 - Email: M_DBA@msn.com<mailto:M_DBA@msn.com>

Matthew L. Harris, NAMS®-CMS, SAMS®-AMS®
Principal Marine Surveyor

Call this guy for a survey in that area. Comes highly recommended:

Marine Consultants Inc.
Marine Surveyors and Consultants
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Worldwide Service
Call: 360 815-0535 - Email: M_DBA@msn.com<mailto:M_DBA@msn.com>

Matthew L. Harris, NAMS®-CMS, SAMS®-AMS®
Principal Marine Surveyor

Thank you! I will call him and see what he says.
Appreciate the tip!
Bruce

Another good surveyor choice is Mike McGlenn out of Bellingham. Not only does he have all the letters after his name but he was in intimately involved with all phases of boatbuilding for one of the largest boat builders in WA. He knows the larger FRP boat building process inside out.

On another topic of building a new boat...

When we built our current boat, we lived only a few hours away here on the East Coast so we popped in every few weeks to monitor progress and document the build with pictures.

This time, we live in New England and the boat is being built at Tomco in Washington state. We really want to a) get photos of the build on a regular basis so we can monitor the progress, and b) have photos to develop a storyline of the boat as she develops, for both the historical and personal record. I'm certain the factory will send us basic pics of the build, but we'd kind of like to pay someone -- a photographer with an eye for the story -- to pop in to the factory at regular intervals during the build process as sort of a photojournalistic approach. We want the basic boat, but we also want some details, we want key moments, and we want the people who are building her.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to accomplish this from afar? Obviously whatever we do will need Tomco's blessing, but just tossing it out there for now...

Thanks for any suggestions!

My overseas builder must have sent over a hundred photos of the boat's construction. Perhaps, your builder will be as cooperative.

Last edited:
On another topic of building a new boat...

When we built our current boat, we lived only a few hours away here on the East Coast so we popped in every few weeks to monitor progress and document the build with pictures.

This time, we live in New England and the boat is being built at Tomco in Washington state. We really want to a) get photos of the build on a regular basis so we can monitor the progress, and b) have photos to develop a storyline of the boat as she develops, for both the historical and personal record. I'm certain the factory will send us basic pics of the build, but we'd kind of like to pay someone -- a photographer with an eye for the story -- to pop in to the factory at regular intervals during the build process as sort of a photojournalistic approach. We want the basic boat, but we also want some details, we want key moments, and we want the people who are building her.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to accomplish this from afar? Obviously whatever we do will need Tomco's blessing, but just tossing it out there for now...

Thanks for any suggestions!

Photos are a start. When we built on an opposite coast we had a surveyor from the area going periodically. However, here is my suggestion. Go. Don't let distance stand in your way. I don't know how often you went last time, but if you go four times during the build, it will be worth it. If you can't go that often, go however often you can. You'll strengthen relationships, not just with those who sell but actually meeting some of the workers. Take them a treat perhaps, like an afternoon ice cream party or just free soft drinks out of the machines for the day. I can assure you it's an easier trip from the NE than from Fort Lauderdale. Only say good things when you're walking around, hold the bad ones for inside in the office. I think they'll be flattered you think enough to make the trip. Have you seen their facility? Photos are better when they're memories of what you actually saw, when you can put the stories to them, your thoughts at the time. I think the workers are happy for the chance to meet the couple they're building for. I don't know how much time you've spent in the PNW, but you'll get an additional feel for the area and the people. If you can drive from Newport to Raymond, Maine, then what's a little flight to Seattle.

Photos are a start. When we built on an opposite coast we had a surveyor from the area going periodically. However, here is my suggestion. Go. Don't let distance stand in your way. I don't know how often you went last time, but if you go four times during the build, it will be worth it. If you can't go that often, go however often you can. You'll strengthen relationships, not just with those who sell but actually meeting some of the workers. Take them a treat perhaps, like an afternoon ice cream party or just free soft drinks out of the machines for the day. I can assure you it's an easier trip from the NE than from Fort Lauderdale. Only say good things when you're walking around, hold the bad ones for inside in the office. I think they'll be flattered you think enough to make the trip. Have you seen their facility? Photos are better when they're memories of what you actually saw, when you can put the stories to them, your thoughts at the time. I think the workers are happy for the chance to meet the couple they're building for. I don't know how much time you've spent in the PNW, but you'll get an additional feel for the area and the people. If you can drive from Newport to Raymond, Maine, then what's a little flight to Seattle.

Raymond, Maine. You don't miss a thing!

I completely agree with everything you said. We used to take batches of cookies and other goodies with us on our trips to see the current boat, and our visits really did have an impact on the men and women in the trenches. We also set up a web site up to document the process, and the workers were thrilled. We learned they checked into it daily. (You can still see it here - with apologies for the horrible old and broken technology. http://www.esmeralde.net/Construction.htm) I did a silly video of the whole process, and a VP asked me to send a copy so he could show it on a big screen at the monthly employee meeting. We loved that part of the last project. Being so much a part of the build process was a big part of our experience with the boat. A year after we took delivery we sailed her in her first Newport-Bermuda Race, and everyone at the factory who participated in our boat sent us a good luck card. What a warm happy surprise that was. And if we hadn't visited the factory, we would never have known that this little gem is permanently buried in the fiberglass at the bow. So we might yet make that (those) trip(s)...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 157

Of course you are correct. We should head out a few times anyway. The issue for me is my dislike of flying. It isn't as though I won't fly but I sure dislike the idea!
Having spent my career maintaing mechanical things, I have a vivid understanding of the possibilities and for whatever reason I dwell on them before the flight. This always seems to be the time cable tv chooses to air those documentaries about why flights crashed too...

So, I sit at home considering what might go wrong making myself miserable until It's time to go. Then I board the plane and I get caught up in the mood and enjoy the flight.

Of course the real victim here is my wife! She has to live with me during the days before the flight...poor girl!

Bruce

You know the answer now, just don't know how to do it. You want to make trips there to enjoy the aspect you did so much last time. So, you're going to find a way to do it. That does mean dealing with your dislike for flying. I don't like flying but my reasons are different. I do it only because it's necessary. I did so much in my working days. Think of it as something you're going to see that you absolutely wouldn't miss for any price. Something like a daughter giving birth to your first grandchild or the wedding of your son. And, if that doesn't seem to help, I'd suggest perhaps trying hypnosis. Not the stage type that turns you into a chicken, but the type that helps you with your thoughts regarding flying, replaces the bad thoughts with good. The type athletes get to help themselves deal with negative thoughts interfering with their ability to perform their best. It could help you remove one thought from your pre-flight time and replace it with another. Might be as simple as removing the thought of all that can happen and replacing it with the thought of the boat factory.

I have a fear of heights but my wife wanted me to do the Zip Line in Catalina a couple of years ago. I used some self hypnosis and had various thoughts of doing it and even the rewards at the end. I still wondered if I'd have nerve to open my eyes. However, I did it. Didn't change my fear of heights but next time we were thinking of doing one I was able to think back to how beautiful things were from the line and what I would see.

Last edited:
We moor on K float behind the American Tug facility in LaConnor WA and there is always 5 or 6 ATs on a long float. Seen every hull color but white .. the obvious best color for a pleasure boat. The colors are all sort of odd. There's a blue-grey that I kinda like. I like yellow but not the AT yellow (it's a rather light washed out yellow) and most of the other colors are .. shall we say "unusual". Perhaps the're all very nice and I have bad taste. But if I was faced w choosing one of those colors for my boat it would be a very hard decision.

I can't even imagine how excited y'all must be. Good luck and congratulations.

PS...I saw that you mentioned stereo so it must be important to you. I am happy with a Fusion head unit and JL Audio everything downstream of that...amp...sub and speakers. JL is pricey stuff but cannot be beat if you like good sound.

I can't even imagine how excited y'all must be. Good luck and congratulations.

PS...I saw that you mentioned stereo so it must be important to you. I am happy with a Fusion head unit and JL Audio everything downstream of that...amp...sub and speakers. JL is pricey stuff but cannot be beat if you like good sound.

It is pretty exciting!

As for stereo, yes I am a little on the fussy side. The Fusion/JL audio system you refer to is high on my list for the boat. On our last sailboat I used a McIntosh Labs 12v head unit, one of their 12 amplifiers and some B&W speakers for the main cabin with JL Audio speakers in the cockpit. It was delightful! No longer in production though so this time we will go the Fusion route.
Glad to learn that you like your setup!
Bruce

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom