Do Not Know What To Call It

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
Is there a product that I can screw into a piling that will slide up and down with the tide so that I do not have to always be adjusting lines. :banghead:

A floating dock...works like a hot dang with our 20' tides :thumb: ;)

Someone here on TF posted some pics in the past year (I think) with a pipe secured to a piling that allowed a slider with line attached to slide up and down, securing the boat. It was a DIY project. Try using the Google search link on the bottom of my post to find it.

There are at least two other choices. One involves some balls that slip onto dock lines, and allow the line to roll up and down a pile. I forget the name, Tide Minder, maybe something like that. Some dock neighbors use them, like them... but looks to me like the extra weight on the line would be making it a bit of a deal to keep it all from falling in the water. Also, the resulting line angle doesn't look as useful as with the Tide Slide; the weight of the multiple balls tends to make the line droop down the pile...

The other is a newer (to me) idea, a ring that slides over the pile and either floats or can be elevated on the pile. Google Pile Ring. I have a sample ring, and decided it didn't suit us too well. With the ring floating, the angle of line from ring to bow cleat (for example) wasn't useful, and then when we leave the slip all the weight of the line tends to want to drop that line down into the water. I also tried elevating the ring, about halfway up the pile, but it didn't seem all the elegant to me, and it also didn't really facilitate a tight tie-up all that well.

On paper, the Tide Slide looks about best. They're pretty proud $$$ of 'em.

-Chris

There are at least two other choices. One involves some balls that slip onto dock lines, and allow the line to roll up and down a pile. I forget the name, Tide Minder, maybe something like that. Some dock neighbors use them, like them... but looks to me like the extra weight on the line would be making it a bit of a deal to keep it all from falling in the water. Also, the resulting line angle doesn't look as useful as with the Tide Slide; the weight of the multiple balls tends to make the line droop down the pile...

We've been using tideminders for at least six or seven years, and now have several friends using them. The really work great. The balls float if the line were accidentially dropped in the water. The angle of the line is intentional and creates a shock absorber effect. We watched from our marina clubhouse one day as a fireboat flew past (we are in a no wake zone). The huge wake had boats bouncing all over the place, some of which almost managed to bounce onto the finger docks. Our boat just rode straight up and down with no side to side movement. That and not having to adjust lines is priceless.

We've been using tideminders for at least six or seven years, and now have several friends using them. The really work great. The balls float if the line were accidentially dropped in the water. The angle of the line is intentional and creates a shock absorber effect.

Useful to know; thanks for posting.

-Chris

I have looked at Tide Slide and every time I go to buy them something in my brain goes "what happens if they jam and don't slide" and I never pull the trigger. After many years I have never made up my mind.

I have looked at Tide Slide and every time I go to buy them something in my brain goes "what happens if they jam and don't slide" and I never pull the trigger. After many years I have never made up my mind.

You could be worried about valve springs working too..

psneeld not really as a valve spring only moves within its own length, on my dock the Tide Slide would have to travel four feet which is a length that something could possibly get jammed. Perhaps I'm wrong but I'm related to Murphy. LOL

Please..worry is worry...how abut the asteroid that just missed us.....:rolleyes:

psneeld. The asteroid I can't do anything about but the Tide Slides is within my control. I never worry about things I can't control. ����

I have always heard people refer to them as tide risers.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling. ����

psneeld. The asteroid I can't do anything about but the Tide Slides is within my control. I never worry about things I can't control. ����

I can understand one persons fears...the question is actual reliability.....so that's what I would be looking for ..

Agreed, having nerver know anyone to use one I have no first hand knowledge.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom