Mainship 30 Pilot or Pilot II question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattenllc

Does anyone know how to remove the headliner in the salon? I want to install handrails on the cabin overhead with fasteners from underneath. Thank you.

Hot air gun. You will have to replace. It is a destructive operation.

Why not just bolt through?

Bolt Thru??

Bolting thru would be an option, however I would still need to get under the headliner to attach nut and washers! If someone knows of a non corrosive fastener that has a wing type backing that would push thru a hole in the fiberglass and then expand, that might work. I don't think a self tapping screw would be strong enough for a handrail application.

Sorry - I misunderstood you. I thought you wanted to remove the fabric headliner. I am not sure how to get under the plastic inner shell. When I installed a radar post just forward of the windshield I ended up just drilling and bolting through the deck and headliner. The plastic headliner was hard up against the fiberglass deck (no air gaps). It may be a different configuration as you move outboard.

pics

Attachments

• bolt1.JPG
    bolt1.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 68
  • bolt2.JPG
    bolt2.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 64
Yes, the load could be spread out more. On my short list is to put in a larger backing plate. This was a temporary for my purchase/shakedown run from Maine to CT so I could have radar capability. Any other recommendations gladly accepted. Thanks

On railroad cabooses, they have a steel rod with "v" shaped braces attached to the roof. Seems a lot stronger than any ceiling railings on recreational boats I've observed.

Patten I think you may be under the impression that there is a "structural layer" of material on the other side of the headliner where you can attach handrails. There is not. The only "structural layer" is the deck itself....hence the answer you received from(and his misunderstanding of your question) willpep. The only load bearing member is the deck. So If you are going to install handrails, they will need to be thru bolted to the deck as willpep did. That or attach another structural member where you can attach your handrails. In any event, you are going thru the deck.

With that said, headliners are something that witches and devils design. If you mess with it, you are likely to regret it as it may never go back the way it was. LIke someone said, it is "destructive". Call it superstition or whatever, if my headliner is in good shape, I DO NOT MESS WITH IT. It will haunt you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom