Biggest/Meanest Toilet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seasalt007

Guru
Vessel Name
Aweigh
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
I have had Vacuflush toilets on three previous boats. Although they were relatively trouble free...once I understood their limitations.and learned to do routine maintenance...I want to move up in size and strength.

Vacuflush says they sell household size bowls. I have never seen one that is really as big as an elongated toilet such as a Kohler or other house brands so I don't believe them. If I am wrong, please give me the model number of the Vacuflush that measures the same.

I understand duckbills and can change them in my sleep but they will occasionally choke up. What I am looking for now, in addition to size, is something with more power...would macerate a ball peen hammer...in other words.

What do I need to consider? I don't mind paying for top of the line.

Thanks

giphy.gif

Raritan crown head. It will wake up everyone in the boat and maybe the guy in the slip next to you though. Since it macerates right at the bottom of the bowl, no clogs from there on out. This thing is insane, basically a small starter motor(need to run big cables). Ours are saltwater flush, but you can convert them to fresh. I had to contact Raritan about ordering them new with the elongated bowls, as most marine stores really don't advertise them anymore. Bonus: Raritan customer service!

We have had them in for 2 years as non stop liveaboards w/ lots of non boating guest and have not had a problem. We do flush excesively to clear line of build up since ours are salt water.

You might have a look at the Galley Maid Delta Marine Head With Elongated Bowl which, according to the manufacturer, "The Galley Maid motor pump assembly will pass through cigars, filter cigarettes, and any type of toilet paper, Kleenex, hairpins, and most of all waste-except rags."

A rival brand at this level of equipment is the Headhunter Bravo line of toilets. These can supposedly even pass pantyhose!

I'm sure there are others, but these are the only two I am aware of, and are typically found on larger yachts.

BTW, you stated "I don't mind paying for top of the line." which is good, because in either of the above, you will.:thumb:

On the boat we're currently on we have Masterflush. We really have no complaints. However, our preference is still Headhunter.

If you want a big bowl, check out the Raritan Atlantes Freedom Raritan Atlantes Freedom Its "standard" bowl is 19" front-back x 14 wide...the "elongated" bowl is 21.5' x 14"... with a macerator that could chew up a mattress. Available flush options include the 4-choice Smart Flush panel.

It's all well and good that the Headhunter can even pass pantyhose, Bic lighters and pocket change...unless you have to figure out how to get them out of the holding tank.

The largest Raritan Crown bowl is the same "household" size that hasn't impressed you and has the same maceration limitations as most other electric toilets...it also draws 35 amps and needs 1-3 gal of water flush. The Jet Head and Galley Maid need a lot of amps, water and boat coins. The Dometic SeaLand MasterFlush is more reasonably priced, needs less amps and water, but has nowhere near the pump or "grinder" the Atlantes has.

As for that toilet paper video, the boat name sums it up: Malarky.

Peggie
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
--------

Last edited:
You want bad ass
What they use on the cruise ships will eat anything
Not true of the HAL Oosterdam. Our suite`s head and others served by the same part of the system were regularly not flushing at all during a cruise. The plumber said 3 sister ships had the same problem and he rarely got shore leave due to trying to keep the system functioning.

First he disconnects the electrical with vice grips? Next, pours wastewater into his socket set which obviously does not contain the proper socket for his electrical. After transport he removes all the pump cover screws and promptly covers them up with $h!t covered paper (guess he used his hands to sort through the paper and recover)! He next replaces the pump cover without any gasket new or old. All in all I'd say a perfect picture of a properly maintained marine head. :dance:

Best part of the whole deal is he at least lag bolted the toilet in place!:hide:

I simply built one.

A WW II troop ship monel toilet with 3 inch discharge , converted to 2 inch at the 90deg bronze mount and an Edson 2 inch bronze offset lever bilge pump.

A beer can wont pass the 90 but it will eat a tie , a tampon and most anything smaller than 2 inch that is flushed..

It uses a 1 1/2 inlet and the principal of a Lavac to flush.The toilet seat is the "water flush valve".

A Lavac head would not be bad, with a better flush pump.

Of course the downside of my head is its a gallon a stroke , so a larger holding tank is required.

For lubbers , close the seat and move the handle is all the instruction required.

Last edited:
If you want a big bowl, check out the Raritan Atlantes Freedom Raritan Atlantes Freedom Its "standard" bowl is 19" front-back x 14 wide...the "elongated" bowl is 21.5' x 14"... with a macerator that could chew up a mattress. Available flush options include the 4-choice Smart Flush panel.

This sounds like the one I want.

Thanks Peggy

Get a quote from HopCar, who's a regular contributor/supporter on this site. He can usually match or even beat the best prices I've been able to find anywhere else. His marine store Hopkin Carter Marine is just "down the road" from you in Miami.

Peggie
Robot Check
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

(Why was the link to my book on Amazon replaced with "Robot Check????" It still links to my book, so what's the point other than making sure no one will click on it?)

Last edited:
Thanks for the plug Peggie! I'm trying to get over to the Tampa show so maybe we can finally meet.

Hope you can! It's the St. Pete show, Dec 1-4. I'm scheduled to give 2 seminars/day all four days.

St. Pete, better still. See you there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom