Customs problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Bob, knowing the rules are the Captain's duty. Quite simply you snuck into the country and were likely assigned a red check mark for your future travels by boat.

Bob, There is a lot of truth in Sunchaser's statement. This has absolutely nothing to do with the other issues that are off point here. You as the captain are responsible to know the customs procedures. There were countless times I heard U.S. and Canadians boats calling the USCG on VHF 16 asking how they could get ahold of customs on the radio as they did not know the check-in points! Really? Sir you have that responsibility.

Unfortunately for you, based on your actions, do not be surprised if you are now truly flagged and reentry into the U.S. or Canada (or any other country) will subject your vessel to additional searches and delays when re-entering.

Sorry to seem so blunt, but that is reality.

Is there USCG Vessel Traffic Service radar/communications coverage in the PNW area? Would it be helpful to maintain radio contact with VTS when approaching the border?

To a guy like me who never leaves his local waters (SF Bay/CA Delta), this sounds like a scheduling and logistics nightmare jumping through all the hoops in the proper sequence. When I transit sensitive or restricted areas, I check in with SFO VTS to confirm no restrictions are in place then remain on freq for advisories. It makes me feel better that they know I'm there and and changes can be easily coordinated.

If it's possible and practical, I'd favor speaking to the USCG before and after crossing the border just so there are no surprises. It's what I always did on the job and seems like a natural compliment to the system in which we operate.

My .02 on US customs. We went on a train trip from our cruise ship in the US, I forget what port. We went into the Yukon Territory. The Canadian folks were very polite and jovial. They were dressed in stylish military fatigues.

Re-entering the US after being on Canadian soil for no more than an hour a group of kids, <25 YO all kitted out for a SWAT evolution boards the train, each with semi auto MP4 and Beretta side arms, Tasers, Mace the whole "I am cool Kit"

Demanded our passports, grumped and gruffed at us, as we old folks may have had an extra quart of Maple syrup or whatever they were worried about. I am very pro 2A citizen was truly embarrassed by their behavior.

Senior citizens one hour in Canada?

I had the balls to ask one kid about the customs checks they were doing in Chula Vista, he tossed my passport back at me and strutted off in his Jack boots!

To FlyWright, yes there is of course a VTS in the Puget Sound region and beyond, just like pretty much everywhere there is lots of traffic. There was none in SE AK when last I worked on tugs but that was many years ago and there may be now, but we did check in with Vancouver upon entering CN waters northbound and Prince Rupert southbound.

Can't touch the U.S., even with an anchor, until you have permission from CBP. That's rule #1. The same applies to Canada. If you have a problem that requires you to stop before you've cleared, inform customs and ask for permission.

FWIW, I just cleared U.S. Customs in Roche Harbor. Friendly, efficient, and professional. Just a few minutes chatting with the officer, mostly about living aboard the boat, and I was welcomed back home. I'd previously had bad experiences at Roche, but maybe things have changed for the better?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom