Let's talk about sunglasses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mule

Guru
Vessel Name
Florita Ann
Vessel Make
1982 Present
Polarized is the way to go of course but how dark, what color. Is green, brown or grey better or is it just a personal preference? Cutting the surface glare to see below the surface is important to us boat drivers.

Any low cost, high quality GLASS lens sources... Tell what ya know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Polarized is the way to go of course but how dark, what color. Is green, brown or grey better or is it just a personal preference? Cutting the surface glare to see below the surface is important to us boat drivers.

We use polarized amber lenses as much for personal preference as anything. Since the eyes are starting to go I need readers. I can buy Ono's polarized readers with a lifetime warranty on line.

Readers / Bifocals | ONOS Sunglasses

Most eye glasses made today are not made from glass. There are lighter, more versatile and safer materials. :)

Personal preference after trying them all is gray. Get my prescription shades at Costco.

As a diabetic with minor cataract in both eyes my all time favorite are dark green safety glasses(#5's I think) from the welding supply store. No clue if they're polarized and honestly don't care. The ones I get are osha approved for flame cutting steel without additional shading.

When wearing them I feel relief from pain I had no idea existed. $9 a pair I buy 6 at a time and don't care if I lose them.

Last edited:
Costa Del Mar, Amber color lens, Model Isabela , " Brine " is the new name, we've had our three years and after a day in the pilothouse your eyes will feel the differencen. :thumb:

Last edited:
Boy, do I sympathize. There is simply no substitute for real glass lenses. From the low distortion to the excellent scratch resistance, glass is the way to go. RayBans are the only everyday glass lenses that I am aware of. Some brands offer glass on a few select models... If anyone knows other all- glass brands please chime in.....

David Hughes
2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

You can't have both... "low cost, high quality GLASS lens".

That said, for what you're looking for... "Cutting the surface glare to see below the surface", one of the best sunglasses I've come across are the Costa Del Mar polarized with Costa's '580' technology. I say this as a life long deep sea fisherman and someone who needed to see below the surface glare of the water.

Here's what I wear:

https://www.costadelmar.com/shop/sunglasses/fathom-1/1138

FWIW... My lenses are blue mirrored with gray base.

Last edited:
As a diabetic with minor cataract in both eyes my all time favorite are dark green safety glasses(#5's I think) from the welding supply store. No clue if they're polarized and honestly don't care. The ones I get are osha approved for flame cutting steel without additional shading.

When wearing them I feel relief from pain I had no idea existed. $9 a pair I buy 6 at a time and don't care if I lose them.

I use to wear those with the side shields. Bought them by the box of 10. My ophthalmologist gave them a big thumbs up. After each summer or running the charter boat with them, my wife would say I had raccoon eyes. :blush:

Had to switch several years ago to green polarized bifocals. $120 at the walmart vision center. Works for me.

Ted

After working in China and seen glasses been produced I find it hard to part with $200+ sunglasses that leave the factory boxed for under $5 that includes Ray Bans

Greetings,
Mr. G. "...boxed for under $5 that includes Ray Bans..." My feeling exactly! I stick with the bargain brands (<$15) which are probably made for $0.25. Granted, the optics may not be the best but they DO work for me. Rose colored usually...

I buy $15 dollar, floating, polarized, fishing glasses at Walmart.

I have had the best to the worst in glasses...USCG aviation gave me whatever I wanted for awhile.

Fortunately I still have 20/20 at 62 and don' t use readers either.

You can think good glasses make the diffrence, but clean and smudge free is all it takes.

I have looked through people's $300 dollar glasses that obviously wouldn't meet my requirements when new, clean $15 ones do.

Buy what you like..but in the end what works can be quite a spread.

"Cheap Sunglasses" (and ZZ Top) work for me. Have several pairs aboard, in the car, Rv, etc. Keep them right next to my $1 readers.

From viral eye socket infection in womb that remained for a while after birth as well as eyeball shape... my eyes have always been f'd up regarding vision clarity - in general. Getting progressively worse as age moves forward. Good prescript glasses make my eye sight (i.e. seeing well close and far in shade or sun) pretty good for me. I wear transitional/progressives. Used to be glass lens, now guaranteed coated plastic. I also keep dark, large, $10, UV protected sun glasses in every vehicle, on my desk, in my boat... etc. They fit over my glasses and work great! I buy em 5 at a time. That number lasts for a year or more.

The boat sunglasses have sturdy rear of skull band attached so I can swim with them and my real glasses on having no fear of losing either (I don't dive off boat with them though). Real glasses have relatively small wire frame with cane-hook ends over and around ears on their temples.

Recently got 4X / 4X mag lenses on each side of dive mask. Not my full prescrip but should assist quite a bit. Will try them out this holiday weekend!

Last edited:
I buy Serengeti's amber non polarised for for flying and grey polarised for boating. Through Amazon they are reasonably priced and all have high quality glass lenses. I wouldn't wear anything else,

Brett

While I love my nice Ray Bans it seems that the more expensive and coveted glasses tend to go over the side first whereas the cheaper glasses, especially ones left on board, never go over and never get lost / stepped on / chewed. My biggest thing is making sure I wear the sunglasses as the sun is setting to ease the transition from day to dark easier on my eyes. I tend to notice my night vision is better when I do so.

Bought a one-Euro pair of sunglasses in Dunkirk, but they didn't last the afternoon.

... Have several pairs of sunglasses but rarely use them as I find them annoying. (I've worn clear-lense glasses for eyesight-correction for most of my life. Presently wearing reading glasses.)

Both at my dinette and down below by my bunk I have small glass bottles filled with 90% rubbing alcohol. Spritzing on both lenses and sides of lenses at least once a day keeps me happy.

I buy the bottles from Specialty Bottle - Wholesale Glass Bottles, Jars, Metal Tins and Plastic Containers

Clean lenses are the key. As for sunglasses, I'm a dollar store fan. Mine are dark -- the darkest I can find. I buy the largest frames too. They are adequate.

A neighbor has a pair of mirror blue sunglasses he bought at a boat show. They are remarkably better -- but not $59 better. He paid $60 at the boat show. I like them far better than my own for certain.

Unfortunately I make donations to Neptune of both sunglasses and reading glasses. At a dollar each, it's annoying but not purse busting.

Specialty Bottle is a great company. I buy their small vials for my oil paints -- far neater than the tubes. Article here: Janice142 article Little Things (hobby afloat)

Pretty much all sunglasses are made by one of two Italian companies (Luxottica or Safilo) or one French company (Essilor).

That said, I prefer Maui Jim for plastic and Smith for glass. Only polarized, of course.

I still gots some old school Vaurenet and Julbos from my climbing days.

Agreed that some of the new safety glasses can give expensive sunglasses a go for their money. I wear Uvex safety glasses for much of the day with no eye strain. I wonder if they make polarized ones...

Last edited:
I like those "as seen on TV" HD Wrap Arounds. I wear dime store low power readers for everyday use and stronger ones for up close and reading. The HD's fit right over whatever glasses I have on and do a real good job of cutting glare and like the ad says, they make colors pop and make it easier to distinguish colors better. Now I lost my last pair and replaced them with a cheap Fred Meyer clone and they work about the same, but the HD's really do work as advertised, and no I don't own stock in the company.

I doubt any lens would help with how the OP sees some things, but Polaroids are my choice, preferably plastic, the weight of the glass in RayBans is uncomfortable if worn for extended periods. After very successful cataract surgery 2 years ago everything is bright again, and glare protection becomes important.
However, I have noticed some display screens, like railway indicator boards, appear blank viewed through polaroids. First time I thought the display had failed, then I realised the cause.

Sunclouds. $50 at retail price, less on eBay. Polarized, lifetime warranty, no distortion. I go for the amber mirrored lenses.

Polarized glasses will block many LCD display screens. If you tilt your head sideways you will see the difference.

recently went to prescription polarized,as they are the best for your eyes.Is it just me,or do others have a tough time getting used to the polarization?

recently went to prescription polarized,as they are the best for your eyes.Is it just me,or do others have a tough time getting used to the polarization?

My wife and practice polarization together... we're about to again... just as much of a blast in our 60's as in decades before! For us two anyway!! :D :D

:lol:

I have been really busy the last few days, so I will weigh in on this.

Disclaimer: While my professional training makes me an "expert" in this area, I do sell sunglasses, both prescription and non-prescription in my practice.

Polarized: Just remember what a plain polarized lens does. It simply blocks light that is vibrating in that plane. Light from the sun or other light sources is not polarized. However, reflected light is plain polarized. Lenses that are polarized are oriented to block light that is polarized by reflecting off a horizontal service. So this generally works great for light that is reflected off water or snow. Polarized lenses are a laminate of two pieces of lens material with a plastic polarized film sandwiched in between. The lens material can be plastic or glass. Be careful, some LCD displays will not be seen while wearing polarized lenses as an LCD is polarized so the display will blank out depending on the orientation.

Eye protection: It is a good idea to protect your eyes from the sun just as you would your skin. UV radiation is the problem and has been correlated with earlier onset of cataracts and the development of macular degeneration. For this reason, it is a good idea to wear a hat and use sunglasses. For this purpose, almost any pair of sunglasses that you buy from a reputable source will be just fine. If they are labeled as being 100% UVA and UVB absorptive, they likely are here in the US. I would avoid the $3.00 pair at the gas station checkout, and careful of off shore internet sources, but other than that the industry is pretty good these days about accurate labeling. Another option, for those of you who use photochromic lenses (Transitions) they are UV absorptive as well so will provide perfectly good protection.

Color: Gray is the color that will have the least impact on color perception and is what I recommend to my patients. However, pick a color you like, it really doesn't matter. If a blue, amber, green or brown lens makes you think you see better, go for it. A lot of research has been done on the use of yellow lenses in the shooting sports and with pilots. It is clear that pilots for example as a group prefer yellow lenses and will swear that it reduces fatigue, increases visual acuity etc... However, when actually tested, yellow provides no more increased performance than a neutral density filter in visual acuity or contrast sensitivity.

Glass vs Plastic: Pick what you like it doesn't matter. I would never go back to using glass lenses myself. Plastic lenses are much lighter in weight and therefore more comfortable to wear for an extended period. Modern plastic lenses are optically just as good as glass lenses (provided they are made well). Modern scratch coatings are almost as hard as glass. Plastic lenses provide less risk of shattering on impact.

Prescription Sunglasses: One of the nicest things you can do for yourself. Once you do, you will never want to be without them.

Photochromic (Transitions): These are the lenses that get darker or lighter depending on the amount of light. I actually love these and use them on all the glasses that I wear outside the office. They are 100% UV absorptive, convenient as you don't have to carry a sun Rx around. They do have disadvantages. Since they are UV sensitive, they will not get very dark inside a car where the windshield will block UV. The same thing can happen in the boat depending on the type of wind screen you have. The second issue is that while they darken quickly, they don't lighten up quickly, so going from a bright deck to a dark engine room for example could be an issue at times.

Cost: In many respects, you get what you pay for. Nothing wrong with cheap sunglasses since as mentioned above, the cheap ones will still provide good sun protection (the primary reason for wearing them). However, it is difficult to manufacture non-prescription plastic lenses without distortion. Cheap sunglasses are cheap because the frames are poor quality and their is less QC involved in the lenses. So with cheap sunglasses, you can randomly find very good, and very poor lenses even on the same pair of sunglasses. Higher quality (and higher cost) sunglasses have better QC so you are less likely to come across optical aberrations in the lenses.

For this group, which is made up of primarily old farts with plenty of disposable income, there is no excuse to not get yourself some good quality prescription sunwear. Simply put, if you are 45 years old or older, you cannot see clearly both in distance and near. Many men in particular try to fool themselves into believing they can, but it is self delusion. By the time you are 50, you are seriously impaired in your ability to read a chart or display clearly. Time to invest in some multi-focal lenses to wear generally, and consider prescription sunglasses with both the near and distance prescription.

Without questioning your professionalism doc, what do you consider seriously degraded vision past 50?

If the eye test for DOT physicals says 20/20...they don't seem too concerned abut my age. I can read charts fine. But some of that as you explained before is the difference between sight snd vision. Much of the time people hand me stuff to read the fine print, whether they are old, young, glasses or not.

What specifics should I be looking for to signal it's time for optical assistance?

Might have to get closer on a few items during daylight....it's night vision that I saw evaporate quickly when flying.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for weighing in on this and I really appreciate Dhayes what being a pro guiding me/us. I will add that I have had the silicone eye implants, the crystal lens type about 8 years ago and yes...I am a big fan. Almost 20/20 since then.

Therefore I wear non prescription sunglasses. I think I am currently running a bit dark with my Costas, and I need to get some more glasses that are a bit lighter. That being said, I appreciate the guidance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom