Beneteau Swift Trawler 44

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello. Maybe I posted my note in the wrong forum as new to this! We are in NZ and have a new 44Swift arriving in November in time for our summer cruising.
Can anyone advise re the dinghy options that will fit on the fly bridge - length weight models etc that those already using this model of Swift can offer me. Many thanks. Mike

Mike, have you asked the dealer selling you the boat?

Hello. Maybe I posted my note in the wrong forum as new to this! We are in NZ and have a new 44Swift arriving in November in time for our summer cruising.
Can anyone advise re the dinghy options that will fit on the fly bridge - length weight models etc that those already using this model of Swift can offer me. Many thanks. Mike

Our boom max weight is 120Kg, or 264 lbs. The max length for the space is about 10'.

I bought and am happy with the AB Lammina 9 AL, which weighs about 100 lbs.

The Lehr 9.9 hp propane outboard has given me a few issues. While it's nice to have propane instead of gasoline, I may opt for a gas engine next time.

This brings the load to around 200 lbs., plus the added supplies and equipment.

By the way, the 2 Lewmar cheek blocks affixed to the mast have disintegrated and were replaced. Could be the harsh UV rays in Florida or they are not up to the load.

Attachments

• IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 241
swift 44 tender

Many thanks RClarke246. That is so helpful. I will start my searching in interest now. I have not heard of Propane powered outboards here down in NZ I have 5.5 Mercury motor left from our last launch.
The photo was great and the AB range of inflatables are very popular here.
Cheers Mike

Thanks all for the feedback. Now it's time to go see some boats this fall at TrawlerFest and Ft Lauderdale.

After scanning through some of the opinions regarding Beneteau's Swift Trawlers I wanted to "weigh in" with our experience after owning a 44' for almost a year. Boating both in the SF bay as well as coastal offshore. We LOVE her! I was a sailor for 25+ years before making a jump to Trawlers. There are some opinions here about the seaworthiness and stability. I can say after a number of 35 Knot winds opposing 5-7 knot ebb tides in the "slot" Several coastal adventures including a recent trip which included an "uphill" run from Santa Cruz in a 9' swell, she handles beautifully. She is so stable that my wife who is new to boating (and said originally she wouldn't go out the Golden Gate for 2 years) is now an advocate of "going out" and often is at the helm coming back through the Main ship channel, often with 6-8 foot following seas. The interior is well done, the Galley roomy, and after 400 hours we haven't seen any structural issues which has included a number of "bay beatings". The twin Volvo 300HP Penta's perform flawlessly with great economy in the 8-10 knot range and if you want to "get there fast" they can get her up to 22-24 knots (conditions permitting) We have retro-fitted several small issues like adding grab rails on the fly-bridge, upgrading the anchor to a 65' Manson. Overall an excellent experience.

Can you post some pictures of the grab rails you added to the fly?

Darryl

Swift Mosquito nets

Hi those with the 2016 Swift 44 trawlers
Our new build is in final stages by Beneteau and now the last query we are wondering about are the nets Mosquito screens that cover the sliding door to the cockpit. Does anyone have these? We wonder how intrusive they are, nuisance? etc. Any photos would be great to see. Cheers Mike

Hi those with the 2016 Swift 44 trawlers
Our new build is in final stages by Beneteau and now the last query we are wondering about are the nets Mosquito screens that cover the sliding door to the cockpit. Does anyone have these? We wonder how intrusive they are, nuisance? etc. Any photos would be great to see. Cheers Mike

Ours came with the optional door screen package. They self-store within the aft saloon and lower helm doors. Easy to deploy. No problem except the dealer had to add small handles to the aft doors. They meet in the middle with strong magnetic edge seals and they were awkward to disconnect before the handles were added. Also, when open, the starboard saloon door edge interferes with the latch on the glass door latch to starboard.
I don't have a good photo.

Last edited:
You can see the lower port screen door edge, in white. Best photo I have for now.

Attachments

• IMG_5961.jpg
    IMG_5961.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,221
Hi, my wife and I have slept aboard our ST44 approx 30 nights when in the San Juan Islands. The only times we experienced any noise issues were when we were on a mooring ball in windy conditions. you could easily hear the water slap against the hull.

As far as the v-berth. I too was concerned about that but it has proven to be very comfortable. I am 6' 205# and my wife is 5-7 and (you know why I cant go there :).

You can see the lower port screen door edge, in white. Best photo I have for now.

Thanks again for the helpful photo of the aft saloon door tracks.
On a different subject do all 44's now have option to pump black water tank either ashore or into the sea? We do not have pump out facilities in most marinas and so need to empty out at sea. We know from experience on french canals that almost everything goes directly into the water!

Our 2012 44 has a valve in the aft head that diverts the waste to either the pump out port on the starboard side or out to sea, below the water line.

Also, contrary to the owners manual, our heads flush with fresh water.

I have found many discrepancies in the owners manual. It's as if it was written for a 2011, or earlier.

The heads on my 2012 st44 flush with seawater. very aromatic the first few flushes after non use and all that odor ends up in the holding tank. I'm thinking of converting my heads to fresh water.

Wow! I guess I lucked out, finally! I have hull #43. What's yours, Dallas?

Richard, I'm hull #39, just three between me and you.

Mods to ST 42

We have owned our ST 42 for four years, moving to the Dark Side after many years of yachting. We are very pleased with the boat which we use extensively for coastal cruising from our base near Auckland. We have made a few changes to enhance the comfort and convenience aboard. the most significant is an enclosed hard top to the Flying Bridge, a sort of Room with a View. We have also motorised the winches for handling the dinghy.

Dinghy

Hello Mike. We had a Southern Pacific 2.6 metre RIB for years which fitted nicely. This eventually succumbed to the effects of weather and particularly UV. We have recently replaced this with a Zodiac the same size which works well. It is a bit heavier and certainly looks the business.

Pleased to hear of another Beneteau ST owner in NZ. Perhaps we can share a beer and a yarn at Great Barrier around Christmas

Good Morning Mike. Are you coming up to the Boat Show this week? I am planning to visit on Thursday taking the Pine Harbour ferry. Would be good to meet up if you are in the area.Cheers

Thanks Mike. We will be in Wellington for the weekend but would love to catch up with you when you are next up this way. We live at Maraetai Beach and Florence is at Pine Harbour Marina. Cheers

Swift 44

Thanks Mike. We will be in Wellington for the weekend but would love to catch up with you when you are next up this way. We live at Maraetai Beach and Florence is at Pine Harbour Marina. Cheers

Boat show was interesting but still feel the Swift is the best! Sorry I missed you and Peter mentioned you had called by.
Our boat was delivered to Radicatel in France today and will be loaded on the ship Oct 13th. Planning on about 10 days on hard stand st Sulpur Point Marina. They recommend a hull sand, primer and three coats anti foul. Have to get engines checked by Coastline a Marine as they will sell me the extra three year engine warranty. Putting prop speed on props and rudders as suggested.
If you are down Tauranga way please call the Marina to make contact with me.
Expect to discharge on Nov 18 and truck to hard stand. Mike Evans

Greetings Mike. Pleased to hear that everything appears to be on track and you should have your lovely new boat commissioned in time for the summer weather ahead.
We do hope that we can catch up some time. Our plans are pretty fluid and weather dependent. We will likely be at Great Barrier some time after Xmas and may head further North also. You may like to give me a bell on 0274 7468972 when you are out that way. Meanwhile, if you have any questions that I may be able to help with then do not hesitate to get in touch. Cheers David

Depth Sounder

Are any of you 44's having trouble keeping the depth reading? I am. Maybe it's the 7-12' water around here but I lose it, usually after accelerating or altering plane.

I understand the 2017 44's no longer have the through-hull transducer, instead they mount a stick-on black rubber disc just aft of the engine transmission.

New (cheaper?) technology? Or, were they getting complaints about the previous installations?

Attachments

• IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 182
Hi Richard,
Yes, I have the same problem. Sometimes the depth goes away for several minutes.
No a good thing.
Dallas

Depth Sounder Transducer

Our ST42 is about 8 years old and has Raymarine instumentation. The depth sounder works OK at our normal pottering along at 9 kts or so but we do lose the signal at higher speeds. I understand from other owners with this gear that there have been many problems with the transducer but so far we are quite happy with ours.

2 Gradys, 1 Silverton 33 Sport Coupe, 1 ST 34, 1 ST 44......

All Ray equipment....

At some point in time, all had issues with mid to higher speeds reading on the DSM sounder.

Regional Ray manger said location of transducer is affected by air/durbulance and causes the DSM to ping out until a "good" signel is encounter. That is why once you back off the speed, readings come back.

I can run our ST 44 in smooth water and no issues - same speed in a little chop or more - zero depth readings.

I look at it this way - I will not run fast if I am unsure of the water depth so no issues for me.

My Swift is due Nov 21st so cannot comment but hopefully Beneteau and Raymarine have sorted the problem by now if so many comments. Tried to contact Florence and will try again .Vintage Port

If the pictures are of what you call a "stick on black rubber disc"...it is really a liquid filled, variable deadrisd, shoot thru the hull ducer.

I have one and it works great. Certainly not cheaper tech, just a shoot thru type that you no longer have to build your own tube for.

About every ducer I have ever used seems to lose a good signal from something. Either speed, tubidity, thermocline, etc....

Sometimes adjusting controls overcomes one, but then the settings are wrong if you encounter another.

Usually speed will kill a transducer if any irregularity on the bottom causes a bubble stream across the face. Weed growth, barnacles, rough paint, thru hulls, etc all are potential causes.

Occasionally I hear about transducers that should not have problems, all causes have been investigated yet they lose their signal. I am perplexed by this as much as anyone. Even the equipment manufacturers seem to run out of suggestions other than move the ducer around...great for shoot thrus, not so easy for thru hull ones or transom models. Then the suggestion is simetimes, get another ducer and move it around in the same conditions the other loses bottom. Again, not so easy unless you are a marine electronics store.

I had Raymarine E120 with a depth sounder integrated. It never worked correctly despite changing out the dsm. It would lose the signal quite frequently. We travel the ICW and a reliable depth sounder is imperative. I finally threw in the towel, ripped out everything with the name Raymarine on it and installed Garmin. The only time I lose the sounder now is if I'm passed by a speeding sporty and travel in its turbulent wake for a few minutes. Then the signal returns and remains rock solid.

If you have the option to spec something other than Raymarine, I think you will be better off. YMMV

Depth finders that show only numbers have always been a problem for me here. The water is turbid, often sandy, shallow and stirred up by other boats. Multiple systems on multiple boats all did the same. It would loose the bottom. often in shallow water when I most needed it. Through hull, on transom or shoot through the hull made no difference. It was the water conditions.

The solution was to install fishfinder type units that show a scan of the bottom. Even if they loose the detail for number display they still show some indication of bottom profile. The two frequency ones are what I used.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom