View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #14
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd View Post
We registered with SVRS and it worked well on our return from the Bahamas. One phone call when were within cell range and all was done. When we were getting ready to enter Canada through the Great Lakes, I tried to make a float plan in preparation for returning with SVRS. CBP said they didn't know anything about it and referred me to Homeland Security who didn't know anything about it and referred me to USCG who didn't know anything about it and referred me to CBP... Finally talked with one guy at USCG who said to file the float plan online & all would be good. Returning to US water a few months later we called the SVRS number and they claimed they could find no record of us on their computer and we would have to check in directly at a CBP station. Luckily one was close by and when we checked in they said they didn't trust anyone on SVRS - they felt it was mainly drug runners who used it because an inspection was not required.
Wifey B: Darn, we're on it and have no drugs. We got cheated. I'll complain to them about that.

SVRS works great in South Florida. Requires educating them a bit on the Great Lakes although we've filed out float plans through it and called. Where did you try to use it that they said all the above? Must have been Michigan. They don't accept SVRS. Did you end up using OARS? For NY it was easy, just calling 1-800-827-2851. We called that number and we were in. Just gave them the float plan number.

Still great for Bahamas as many make day runs. We go back and forth a lot.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote