Customs problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Hudspeth

Vessel Name
North Sea
Vessel Make
Rawson
My wife and I recently returned from the Gulf Islands of BC to WA State and were met with a threat of $10,000.00 dollar fine and our boat confiscated for "not checking in with customs immediately upon return from a foreign country" from the US customs agent at Friday Harbor.

Obviously there is more to this story. We left Wallace Island with a planned stop at Ganges Island and would make the trip to the San Juan's and customs at Roche Harbor the next morning. Unfortunately Ganges was packed tight so we proceeded Eastward. We hit some weather and outgoing tide which put us coming into Roche in the dark which I chose not to do. We anchored out at Stuart Island after dark and headed for Friday Harbor first thing in the morning. There was no cell service (AT&T).

All was going good until the agent asked when we returned to US waters and I truthfully said "last night at 2100 hours. OMG I think she about had a stroke. We were ordered to go to the office where we waited for over an hour for a decision to be made about our fine and impoundment.

After the decision by her superiors was made we were allowed to leave with a warning citation and a lecture on proper reporting.

What the take home point was, it is a mandate by the US Government for all of us to report entrance either in person to a customs agent, by cell phone, direct line from customs docks or to the US Coast Guard by radio if there is no other alternative.

Has anyone else had similar experiences or am I the only one that did not know the law to the impth degree. I appreciate the job they do but this seemed a little over the top, when I truly believed I had done everything right and safe for my boat and passenger.

We went through the Trent Severn Waterway in Canada this summer. Before we left, we researched the reentry requirements. It went OK, except that I had to explain to CBP, how their SVRS program worked since they agents had never used the system. It is your responsibility to know the rules. I found that the agents indeed did everything they could to make it work for us.

Yup, that's the rule. As soon as you touch land, including dropping an anchor, you have entered and need to check in immediately. You did the right thing by keeping the boat safe, but should have called the CG via VHF to let them know what you were doing.

While its true that ignorance of the law is no excuse, well at least for most of us!, it sounds like a typical case of govt overzealousness, if that is a word. If you were anchored out and didn't go ashore or anything like that, big freaking deal. You did everything else right but conditions dictated a slight deviance from preferred procedure. Pencil pushers. The few CBP folks I have talked to have all been easy to deal with, even at JFK, well mostly anyway. Glad you didn't get fined or worse.

That's the law in every country I'm aware of and the USCG was very kind and friendly compared to what many would have done. Try the same in the Bahamas and you will end up paying. In other countries they will be more punitive.

First, everyone knows the Friday Harbor Customs people are jerks. Use Roche, they are awesome.

Second, you should have dropped your anchor in the Gulf Islands. Period. Rules are rules, and government bureaucrats live by the rules. No offense, but that isn't the nth degree. It's pretty basic.

Third, it is ridiculous that thousands of illegals cross our Southern border every day, but a law-abiding citizen gets hassled coming home from Canada. But that is the (sad) state of our Union these days.

Only time I ran across this was crossing back from Nova Scotia to Maine. Fog and seas were too heavy to continue so we anchored in Maine and called via VHF the Coast Guard. Told them that for the safety of the vessel we had decided to stop.

Right after we lifted anchor at first light we were boarded. We continued on with the Coast Guard boat pacing us. I handled the inspection while the Admiral steered the boat. No problem at all.

Be more careful in the Eastern Caribbean. $500US fines are given out freely for going to shore without having cleared in. Only issue is whether they spot you. Typically a boater can anchor if he arrives late in the day and check in in the morning. That works. Just don't admit to having gone out to dinner.

Friends arrived in St. Lucia from Martinique around 1 pm and didn't feel like checking in that afternoon, but went to dinner. Unfortunately a customs agent saw them at dinner and threw the book at them when they tried to check in the next morning. Passports seized, fines levied etc.

We did 2 trips to Canada a year apart and came back into the US once thru Oswego, the next time thru Clayton.
Each procedure was so totally different it could have been a different country.

First, everyone knows the Friday Harbor Customs people are jerks. Use Roche, they are awesome.

But that is the (sad) state of our Union these days.
Robster, I have found just the opposite. Roche Harbor customs people were jerks to us when we crossed through there.

I agree 100% with your second statement.

Well Bob, knowing the rules are the Captain's duty. Quite simply you snuck into the country and were likely assigned a red check mark for your future travels by boat . It is a big deal especially given the numerous illegal related intercepts made by CGs on both sides.

Hopefully others intending cross border travels will learn from this thread.

The whole system is a joke!!
We entered from Bahamas to Lauderdale 5 years back. We called Homeland Security by cell phone upon entering US waters and were instructed to show up at the office located at Port Everglades. After mooring we took a taxi to Everglades. The office was so isolated that we required the taxi to wait for us -taxi bill about $50. Upon entering the office we showed our passports and left. Process took 2 minutes and the officer could not have been less interested!! BUT, there could well have been 10 persons on our boat, not just the two of us. We could well have been carrying contraband. Neither actually applied but who knew!! A totally pointless PITA!!

We registered with SVRS and it worked well on our return from the Bahamas. One phone call when were within cell range and all was done. When we were getting ready to enter Canada through the Great Lakes, I tried to make a float plan in preparation for returning with SVRS. CBP said they didn't know anything about it and referred me to Homeland Security who didn't know anything about it and referred me to USCG who didn't know anything about it and referred me to CBP... Finally talked with one guy at USCG who said to file the float plan online & all would be good. Returning to US water a few months later we called the SVRS number and they claimed they could find no record of us on their computer and we would have to check in directly at a CBP station. Luckily one was close by and when we checked in they said they didn't trust anyone on SVRS - they felt it was mainly drug runners who used it because an inspection was not required.

The whole system is a joke!!
We entered from Bahamas to Lauderdale 5 years back. We called Homeland Security by cell phone upon entering US waters and were instructed to show up at the office located at Port Everglades. After mooring we took a taxi to Everglades. The office was so isolated that we required the taxi to wait for us -taxi bill about $50. Upon entering the office we showed our passports and left. Process took 2 minutes and the officer could not have been less interested!! BUT, there could well have been 10 persons on our boat, not just the two of us. We could well have been carrying contraband. Neither actually applied but who knew!! A totally pointless PITA!!

Don't worry, before long you can dock your boat next to a giant wall at the border and check in. :rofl:

We registered with SVRS and it worked well on our return from the Bahamas. One phone call when were within cell range and all was done. When we were getting ready to enter Canada through the Great Lakes, I tried to make a float plan in preparation for returning with SVRS. CBP said they didn't know anything about it and referred me to Homeland Security who didn't know anything about it and referred me to USCG who didn't know anything about it and referred me to CBP... Finally talked with one guy at USCG who said to file the float plan online & all would be good. Returning to US water a few months later we called the SVRS number and they claimed they could find no record of us on their computer and we would have to check in directly at a CBP station. Luckily one was close by and when we checked in they said they didn't trust anyone on SVRS - they felt it was mainly drug runners who used it because an inspection was not required.

Wifey B: Darn, we're on it and have no drugs. We got cheated. I'll complain to them about that. :rolleyes:

SVRS works great in South Florida. Requires educating them a bit on the Great Lakes although we've filed out float plans through it and called. Where did you try to use it that they said all the above? Must have been Michigan. They don't accept SVRS. Did you end up using OARS? For NY it was easy, just calling 1-800-827-2851. We called that number and we were in. Just gave them the float plan number.

Still great for Bahamas as many make day runs. We go back and forth a lot.

Last edited:
Wifey B: Our one entry on this trip was complicated by change of persons aboard while in Canada. They ended up ok though. We've encountered that before and in checking out of other countries. It's like, "Where's Carmen?" "Oh we traded her in on Jennifer." :rofl:

Last edited:
Serious question. I came back into the US this summer and checked in at Friday Harbor. I had not gotten the reentry sticker before leaving (I had checked on Canadian rules but not US rules doh!). I told the agent at Friday Harbor and she said "No problem, I'll have you fill out the form and pay when I meet you at the dock". We were the only boat on the customs dock at the time. By the time the agent made it down to the dock 15 minutes later, the dock was packed with boats and there were 3 more waiting to come in. Both the agent and I forget about the reentry sticker. She cleared us to reenter and asked that we move our boat off the dock ASAP.

So, I never paid the US the $25 or $30 reentry fee. I don't mind doing it, I am just not sure of how to go about taking care of it at this. Also, I don't want to have problems with US customs in the future. Any ideas?

Crossing into US waters from Mexico gets the same result, at least if you are caught. Boats returning Mexican waters that never touched land (or another vessel) are not required to report, and during fishing season that seems to be the vast majority of boats, and it seems that many don't clear in when they should. The wait can be hours.

One time we were returning from Mexico but by-passed San Diego intending instead to check in at Long Beach. A small USCG vessel intercepted us north of San Diego, apparently randomly but, based on the nature of their questions, I think they had a pretty good idea that we had not only been in Mexican waters but on Mexican land. (It wouldn't be hard to know -- my AIS was transmitting since leaving Ensenada.) Their first question was something like "where are you going" (Long Beach), then "where have you been" (Mexico), "did you clear customs in San Diego" (no), then "Don't you know you are required to -- why didn't you?" Maybe the guy was testing me, but he didn't seem to know that I had the option of clearing in Long Beach (or even Redondo Beach, if my boat would fit on their dock) as long as that was my first port of call. I encouraged him to talk to his commanding officer, instead he let me go with a "warning".

Crossing into US waters from Mexico gets the same result, at least if you are caught. Boats returning Mexican waters that never touched land (or another vessel) are not required to report, and during fishing season that seems to be the vast majority of boats, and it seems that many don't clear in when they should. The wait can be hours.

Our only time from Mexico to the US was Cancun to Key West and SVRS worked well for that.

I haven't entered the US from Mexico on the West Coast, but I don't believe San Diego accepts SVRS.

NSAIL has it right--purchase the decal for each year in advance, then you don't need to worry about it.

As for the negative comments in this post, people are people and my experience is that you usually find what you expect to find and you either bring out the best or worst in others by your attitude. Your attitude is practically the only thing you really control in this life.

On the topic of checking in or not at Friday or Roche, a few years back there was an impatient boater who tied to the customs dock in Friday Harbor but didn't like the amount of time it was taking, so he cut loose and went to Roche. The customs agents at Friday made note of it and alerted other customs stations. He had already touched US soil at Friday when he docked. When he got to Roche and seeing how busy it was, he and his party decided to anchor and go ashore for lunch. When he and his party got back from lunch, he hoisted anchor and motored over to the customs dock. Anchoring he had touched US soil again. Going ashore he touched it again. When he got to the customs dock, they were waiting for him. A discussion ensued. I think they ultimately let him go.

They're not dummies; they are on watch for illegal activity just like that. They are not soulless bureaucrats. They have a job to do and it's a serious one with serious consequences if they screw up. They are not just keystone cops with attitudes. The rules aren't rocket science and they are in place for a reason and we have to expect that we are expected to follow them. Customs doesn't know you from Adams-off-ox. They don't know if your are entering the country illegally with the intent to do something bad or if you are just another goofball who thinks the rules don't mean what they say.

Feedback to CBP

I urge everyone with skin in the game to PLEASE take a few minutes and provide feedback to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. If the "flagpole" gets a few dozen constructive comments from our community, perhaps they will have the needed information to make a change. Often management knows of problems but does not have the documentation necessary to act.

Below is a link to a CBP webpage where you can send your comments.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/home/search/1

The most basic rule of all is the one that says you must get cleared before anyone other than the master leaves your boat. I'm sure if he appealed the fine it was reduced if not eliminated. It's difficult to judge attitudes in a situation from only hearing one side of the story. Now, if it occurred exactly as written, the behavior of the agent was out of line. Still, it all started from ignoring Rule #1. I advise anyone that customs and immigration where ever you are have very rigid rules and are often sticklers for 100% compliance. If anyone wants to find out then call in when returning to Fort Lauderdale after hours and then everyone on your boat doesn't report in person the following day as ordered. Oh, and they do hold the master/captain responsible for getting them all there.

I know the regulations are complicated and handled as a practical matter differently in each location. However, some things are unwavering and staying aboard until after the initial call and being given clearance is one of those things. As was pointed out, it is immediately.

I agree with most of the above in that rules are rules, and its our job to know those rules. But at the same time when you consider the govt as it is today, one that wants to import by the thousands mostly undesirable non citizens from foreign countries; to then make its own citizens feel like criminals is a little hard to swallow at times. Its the same at airports, getting the third degree from gun toting pencil pushers demanding to know the this and the that. Its just slightly irritating. And Dhays, I look forward to seeing that "big beautiful wall". LOL!

Different experience

On our recent nightmare trip out the Frazer River in BC and into the US we saw the other side of this.
Our float plan (not filed anywhere) called for us to arrive Point Roberts in the mid afternoon on a favorable tide for a deep draft boat in a shallow entry to that Harbor. We had called customs tmge ther schedule and to alert them of our intention to re enter two US citizens and import the Dutch boat. We had used an import broker on my import bond and the paperwork was in order to the best f my knowledge and effort.
It became clear when all hell broke loose of our plans that that was not going to happen. We were much later due to the fuel issues we were working on, had little control of the boat and barely making way in fair sized seas that were going to preclude entry due to wave action on an unfavorable tide and be later than the hours they kept at PR. We called ahead and payed this out for them and begged for mercy and permission t go directly to Blaine Harbor if we could make it there. Names, DOB, ssn and all that exchanged fr all aboard.
This was denied initially but we were able to work up the chain f command and beyond that geography until we got folks that took account f the real danger to crew and craft. They approved Blaine if before 10 PM and agreed to send staff from Bellingham Airport by car t clear us and the vessel. Wow, so far s good I thought.
Well 10 PM is approaching and not close to port yet. The Bellingham agent calls us for an update. (Really?). We report our situation and he responds by saying he going home thirty minutes the opposite direction, gives me his home number because his government cell will not work there and agrees to drive one hour to Blaine to check us in should we succeed in reaching that port.
We finally approach the harbor, give him a heads up by phone and he finishes clearing us and importing the vessel at 2 AM and treats us in an extremely civil though serious matter as the consummate professional he appeared to be.
I am eternally grateful and respectful for what they do and how they treated us. We failed in any number of ways to uphold our responsibility in the process yet they still got it done.
I would like to think that we had the right attitude, kept them informed four situation and intent the best we could but still.....we got better than we deserved from them.

Hats off to CBP from my ship.

Its good to hear such an account, glad it turned out well in the end. Govt agents are govt agents, some good, some great, some not so much.

I can second the East German Stasi treatment by CBP in Roche Harbor. The contrast could not have been clearer. We chartered out of Bellingham and entered Canada at Poet's Cove, Pender Island. You walk up the dock, get a number at the phone box, get a friendly welcome to Canada, and you're done, off to drinks at the resort. We re-entered the US in Roche. The CBP agent, mirrored sunglasses, jackboots and all, made us stand in a line against the boat and interrogated each one of us down the line, like he was doing a shakedown in a penitentiary, then he disappeared with our passports for half an hour while we stood there. I didn't know whether to be angry, embarrassed, or ashamed of the authority in my own country. That was last year. This year we chartered out of Nanaimo and stayed in Canada for the duration, so thankfully we never had to repeat that experience or be treated like that at any US port.

Where did you try to use it that they said all the above? Must have been Michigan. They don't accept SVRS. Did you end up using OARS? For NY it was easy, just calling 1-800-827-2851. We called that number and we were in. Just gave them the float plan number.

We left the US from Oswego, NY, returned in the 1000 Islands area (Heart Island). We called the SVRS number and they claimed no record of us on any Federal database they could access. Interesting, because my wife's high level security clearance (in conjunction with her work as a forensic scientist) always pops up whenever her passport is scanned on re-entry to the US. I got the feeling the CBP,HS & USCG information systems are not too well integrated...

The in-person check-in was quick, routine and cordial both in NY last fall and a couple of weeks ago at Roche when we checked in on a charter boat.

We came back from a trip to B.C. and checked into Friday Harbor, The customs agent we got I had dealt with before.. and I though .. oh great.. here we go again. I was the only one off the boat ( I have done this in a LOT of countries and know the dance ) I went through the formalities and thought he had possibly gone to sensitivity training recently when he asked me where one of our guests as located.. I replied "on the boat".. his reply "get him in here" .. I retrieved guest and customs guy proceeds to dress him down as I watch through the window.. guest walks out shaking head and says " he wants to see you".. I think oh great. Custom's guy goes off on me about not getting crew papers " in order " as he pretty much throws the passports at me.. come to find out my guest.. who had used his recently renewed passport to fly to Europe and Morocco and back had failed to sign his passport ..he had done customs in L.A. ( where they didn't notice lack of signature). I finally had had enough and told the schmuck W.T.F. it is not my job to snoop into peoples passport and then told him " whatever dude " and walked out. I figured I was going to get yelled at the least but he sat there and didn't say a thing.

As a side note I typically treat Customs agents with the same respect as members of the armed forces as I grew up in a Air Force household.. but all this guy deserved was the finger.

My experience with Canadian customs has always been positive.. it is Our agents that treat us all like criminals

HOLLYWOOD

Where did you try to use it that they said all the above? Must have been Michigan. They don't accept SVRS. Did you end up using OARS? For NY it was easy, just calling 1-800-827-2851. We called that number and we were in. Just gave them the float plan number.

We left the US from Oswego, NY, returned in the 1000 Islands area (Heart Island). We called the SVRS number and they claimed no record of us on any Federal database they could access. Interesting, because my wife's high level security clearance (in conjunction with her work as a forensic scientist) always pops up whenever her passport is scanned on re-entry to the US. I got the feeling the CBP,HS & USCG information systems are not too well integrated...

The in-person check-in was quick, routine and cordial both in NY last fall and a couple of weeks ago at Roche when we checked in on a charter boat.

You had entered your float plan and called the SVRS number and they couldn't find it? That is strange. Heart Island is clearly listed as accepting SVRS. We entered in Buffalo and had no problem. We called the number, got clearance and then entered with no issue.

We were not able to use it returning into Michigan later.

Like you, we've had no issues checking in whether in Washington, Florida, New York or Michigan.

Back
Top Bottom