Suggested Diy bilge pump switch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the switch fails, a lot could go wrong.

If you can't afford a bilge pump switch, you can't realistically afford to own and operate a boat. Buy an approved switch and just nock a couple miles off your next cruise and you'll come out even.

Bilge switch

I have lost count of the number of reports on various forums of proprietory switches which have failed catastrophically.
I can't see how I can do any worse than design my own.
I have even spoken with professional industrial engineers who have problems with fluid depth sensors/floats!

If you don't wan't to pay for a top quality bilge pump switch, buy two low end bilge pump switches. Mount the second in where it is normally high & dry & clean. It will probably be more reliable than any single switch.

That's nice in a bowl on a stable surface. What about in a rocking boat?

I have lost count of the number of reports on various forums of proprietory switches which have failed catastrophically.

I have even spoken with professional industrial engineers who have problems with fluid depth sensors/floats!

Your boat, your decision. If you can come up with something that works for you, that is great. We all choose to spend our money in different ways. I chose to spend the money to have my after cooler cleaned professionally. However I make my own dock lines. I will likely pay to have an AIS transceiver installed, however I made my own stern tie reel instead of buying a professionally manufactured one that would be much better and much more expensive. I pay a diver to clean my bottom, but am going to try and make window shades myself.

I wouldn't choose to try and make a bilge pump switch, but that is my own decision. You can choose differently.

float switch

The switch I made is wired in parallel with a Jabsco pneumatic switch. (Wouldn't trust just one).
The vessel is a narrowboat on UK canals, so not much pitch or roll!

You are putting yourself out as being smarter than all the engineers at Rule, Johnson, etc. That seems a bit arrogant to me.

These folks have education, experience and testing facilities.

It's your boat though, you have all the answers and you can do what you want on your boat if it's not used for hire..

Good luck.

Considering the pretty widespread reports of the cheap Rule switches that have failed in the last decade...designing one better than those wouldn't be a tough decision.

Fortunately, there are many other switches with a decent history of operation that as much as I like beating the market, they make my redesign choice easy.

The new all electronic switches like the Johnson Ultima seem great and not too pricey...but there are several well designed manual switches that are worth considering over a DIY switch.

I too have toyed with copying some of the pricey switches...not all that hard to come close enough...but alternatives at the right price point keep my enthusiasm elsewhere.

In the past I used Rule switches, they lasted for years without problems.
During this past year I have had 4 (or is it 5?) failures of the switches, all installed as replacement on the same pump.
Great engineering!!!

Ted

Almost makes you want to design a better one! :D

I bought these, I need to install one.
They do have a range, They are cheap, they are strong.
They work.
I will use a 40 amp cube relay.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/cheap-idea-bilge-pump-switch-27300.html

psneeld,
don't want to design a switch but would like to find some
"new old stock" of the old ones.
I think "Big Brother" helped the evolution of the switch design.

Ted

If you think one particular brand of switch is bad, buy a different brand. From a reputable manufacturer who has a large market share and a good reputation. Install two if it makes you feel better. Nothing wrong with installing three. Just don't try to connect them to one hose and thru hull. And don't install a check valve.

If you think one particular brand of switch is bad, buy a different brand. From a reputable manufacturer who has a large market share and a good reputation. Install two if it makes you feel better. Nothing wrong with installing three. Just don't try to connect them to one hose and thru hull. And don't install a check valve.
There is definitely something wrong if you feel the need to install 3 bilge pump auto switches in the hope one will work when you need it. It reflects major distrust of the device. Well warranted too, imo.
My experience of "flipper" switches of various brands has been negative, the replacement Ultra I fitted has worked well for years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom