View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 03:11 PM   #61
Scubaguy10

City: Dayton
New Member Intro

Greetings from Ohio. My wife and I have a history of pleasure boating in the Midwest, although we have not used our boat for the last few years. It's a 1965 Chris craft custom skier, mahogany ski boat that has just been taking up space in our garage for some time. My immediate plan is to fix the boat up and sell it to add to our cruiser fund.

Our long-term interest is to buy a trawler style cruiser with which to cruise the East Coast, Florida, and the Bahamas. This plan probably won't take place for about five years, as we are both working full-time currently.

My thoughts are that the appropriate boat for us is going to be a trawler style cruiser in the 34 to 36 foot range. A Grand Banks 36 would be perfect.

Other than generating the money to buy such boat, what should I be doing over the next few years to prepare myself for the cruising lifestyle? Should I rent cruisers in Florida a few times? I would intend on taking some Coast Guard classes on boat handling and navigation at some point, not sure what is available in my area.

Anyone's thoughts on the first steps toward owning and living (at least part-time) by cruiser would be greatly appreciated.
Scubaguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote