View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #24
Notlandlockedforlong

City: Eastern KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
I can not think of any barge that is NOT loaded and unloaded from one end to the other. There exists the very probable risk of "breaking the back" if not loaded /unloaded from one end or the other. You also do not want to load the two ends with nothing in the middle same outcome only you break the back the other way. I assume you worked on the Ohio but must have missed the loading and unloading operations so therefore were not a tankerman or on a fleet boat. You may also note if you visit a liquid dock that tank barges being unloaded will always "roll" the product back to the pump end of the barge and load the tanks closest to the pump first.

Any problem with "reach" of the unloading equipment is corrected by moving the barges up or down the dock if the equipment is not capable of moving on the dock itself.
Haha! It's perspective, I suppose. When you said "loaded from the end" I visualized the barge being nosed into the bank, so to speak. You are correct, a barge is loaded from one end to another, parallel to the bank. No, I was not a tankerman, we called them line boats, not fleet boats.
Notlandlockedforlong is offline   Reply With Quote