Sun shade mesh fabrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never used the Snads but do know that even white zippers don't stand up to UV as well as black... Not the answer you wanted Dave but just my $0.02 FWIW

What are your outside window frames made of?

I figure if the Snads don't last more than a few seasons, then I can replace them easily. By that time my wife might let me put screws in the boat. ;)

Aluminum frames.

But the big improvement we made this year are the zip-up screens on the Pilothouse doors. They keep the bugs outside and the cat inside on hot days and we use them while underway. It's a huge improvement.

That is another project that I want to do as well. This summer we have been chased inside a few times by mosquitoes. Being able to keep the PH doors open but with some screens would keep the boat cooler.

I figure if the Snads don't last more than a few seasons, then I can replace them easily. By that time my wife might let me put screws in the boat. ;)

Aluminum frames.

I understand completely...
The art of compromise...

Dave, I suggest you stay away from the clear Snad studs.

Yeah...I've had poor results with those on my boat interior. Best to use the Domed one piece version. I don't believe the clear ones use 3M as they just seem to have some adhesive film on them (which failed in my case and were't very strong). The domed versions use 3M like the ones below.I recently put these on in a few spots but no long term testing yet:

20160823_152714-vi.jpg

Available here along with other snap supplies:
McMaster-Carr

On visibility the 70% is pretty good (the left side is looking through an additional metal screen):

20160823_144008-vi.jpg

and from outside showing the color matched snap heads available from Sailrite in numerous colors.

20160823_143950-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm... if I've figured out uploading pictures, here are some views of visibility through our Textilene, daytime (rainy day out, during prep for Sandy) and night time.

Pretty sure it's 90%, but haven't looked for hard-copy invoicing to confirm.

-Chris

Attachments

• PICT0094.jpg
    PICT0094.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 56
  • PICT0102.jpg
    PICT0102.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 65
Yes, I have considered it and may do that as well at some point. Cost would be an issue of course. It would need to be professionally installed as it is not something that I would like to tackle given the shape and location of some of the windows.

If you have laminated glass you will not be able to tint. The reflection of the light/heat into the laminate layer will result in the glass cracking. A tinting company wouldn't touch my laminate glass.

If you have laminated glass you will not be able to tint. The reflection of the light/heat into the laminate layer will result in the glass cracking. A tinting company wouldn't touch my laminate glass.

Good info, thanks.

That is not necessarily true.

Laminated glass is tinted with film all the time. There is a risk of breakage based on several factors. But it is not a given that it will break. And some types of films are more likely to cause the glass to break than others.

But from what I've seen and been told in most cases tinting does not cause laminated glass to break.

That is not necessarily true.

Laminated glass is tinted with film all the time. There is a risk of breakage based on several factors. But it is not a given that it will break. And some types of films are more likely to cause the glass to break than others.

But from what I've seen and been told in most cases tinting does not cause laminated glass to break.

The laminate glass on our boat is tinted. The issue is caused when you place the reflective film on the inside of the glass and it reflects into the laminate. It gets very hot. The tint guys gave me samples and I ran an experiment. I don't remember the numbers but the glass got very hot.
The Tint Shop - Professional Window Tinting

Find windshield filters on "wrong way" (forward-leaning) pilothouse windows unnecessary while operating the boat.

But if they fail in high winds you will loose your screens. We lost two screens and a door covering on the starboard side one winter and I moved over to twist fittings to attach my screens.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

The laminate glass on our boat is tinted. The issue is caused when you place the reflective film on the inside of the glass and it reflects into the laminate. It gets very hot. The tint guys gave me samples and I ran an experiment. I don't remember the numbers but the glass got very hot.
The Tint Shop - Professional Window Tinting

Let me clarify, I was not talking about tinted glass but putting tinted or clear UV barrier film on laminated glass.

I've had it done on many, many boats over the years and seen only one window shatter that had film on it. And I can't say with 100% certainty that it was the film that was the cause.

Heat is one of the issues and some films retain/transfer more heat than others.

Back
Top Bottom