View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #1
DHeckrotte
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Remote tank reading.

I just had a brilliant idea! Someone please shoot it down.

Revel's holding tank is plastic, so it's no great challenge to use the aluminum tape external sensors with a tank level indicator up by the helm, or in the head.

Revel's two water tanks are stainless steel and each has a clear vinyl hose manometer. The existing hose is pretty obscured and in any case not in a nice place to visit. Why could I not use the same sort of remote sensors taped to the vinyl hose?

Revel's two fuel tanks are (still-I hope) steel and are enclosed in the usual Taiwanese ceiling tile. What with the engines inboard of the tanks, I imagine that accessing the existing and apparently no-longer-functional float sensors would be a job for a Lilliputian. However, the tanks are interconnected and valved at the tanks to control the interconnection and hose. Seems to me that I could add manometers made of hose, work out venting the manometers at their tops (since I don't imagine it would be easy to connect to the top of the tanks) and again use the remote sensors taped to the hose.

All five tanks could be monitored from a single level indicator up by the helm.

Thoughts?
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote