Anchor roller on bowsprit disintegrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How hard is it to replace the roller? My father is on our 390 Mainship up in Alaska and the anchor roller disintegrated.

thanks much!

Bob

How hard is it to replace the roller? My father is on our 390 Mainship up in Alaska and the anchor roller disintegrated.

thanks much!

Bob

Normally not that hard....bearing in mind any boat related job always ends up harder than you thought or expected. The hardest thing might be unfreezing the nut on the end of the bolt that holds the roller in place, as they are usually burred at the end so they don't undo themselves during use.

So basically you get a roller the same size, although if stainless or bronze, you might consider one of the hard synthetic types as a replacement as they are quieter coming up and down and at anchor. Then best to have on hand a new stainless bolt the right size, in anticipation of the probable need to use an angle grinder to cut the bolt head or nut off to get the old one out.

Just be very careful none of the new hardware ends up in the drink..! :D

I agree. Grabbing the roller and the screw can be the hardest part. I struggled with mine to replace the roller once. Hope I never have to repeat it. Glad to report that all tools and parts stayed aboard...this time.

Hang a catch basket or bag under the bowsprit when doing that sort of work, better yet pull bow first into the slip so you can stand on the dock to work on it, then still use the catch basket.
My anchor roller is fine, but, when it goes I plan to try a bow roller as used on a boat trailer hopefully one of the yellow translucent plastic ones (Stoltz?) They seem very tough and vee shaped to hold rope or chain in the middle. Looks like they might have to be drilled our to fit the bolt maybe trimmed for length I think they come std. 3" & 4" wide. Anybody tried that?

Mine is plastic and currently just split into two pieces....I guess I use it too much. I will be doing this same job here shortly!!

The installation instructions accompanying our Ocean Marine Systems dinghy davits included the words, "NOTHING WE MAKE FLOATS".

It's become the phrase of choice when working within range of the water.

Many folks will use a roller that is hard rubber or hard plastic as found on larger boat trailers.

Most can be cut to width , they are cheap, last and can be found easily.

Many folks will use a roller that is hard rubber or hard plastic as found on larger boat trailers.

Most can be cut to width , they are cheap, last and can be found easily.

Yes, that's indeed what I would do, although the ones on my present roller are synthetic and holding up well.

John Baker take note. I sense a roller change coming on. ;)

Boat trailer rollers probably won't have the right sized slot/groove for the chain and so the chain may not stay oriented the way you want/need it. Then you'll be talking about swivels.

Hang a catch basket or bag under the bowsprit when doing that sort of work, better yet pull bow first into the slip so you can stand on the dock to work on it, then still use the catch basket.
My anchor roller is fine, but, when it goes I plan to try a bow roller as used on a boat trailer hopefully one of the yellow translucent plastic ones (Stoltz?) They seem very tough and vee shaped to hold rope or chain in the middle. Looks like they might have to be drilled our to fit the bolt maybe trimmed for length I think they come std. 3" & 4" wide. Anybody tried that?

I did it this spring on my boat. I had to trim the width of the roller a bit, but holding it carefully I was able to do it in a band saw and also had to drill out the center a bit. I expect it to last a while - those urethane rollers are TOUGH.

Ken

Attachments

• roller.jpg
    roller.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
When I couldn't find a replacement for mine I had one machined out of black Delrin 100.
It has held up fine for 3 years now.

thanks much!

Bob

It should be pretty obvious how it is replaced. On mine, the roller rolls on a bolt that's goes through the metal channel. Marine stores should have replacements. It is a wear part.

Back
Top Bottom