Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ad said two 16 gallon tanks. 32 gallons.

Nanni 3.3 burns 1.5lph (0.4 gph) at boat cruising speed of 5 knots at 2000 rpm.

No reserve 5 X 32/.4 = 400 nautical miles.

I think it looks a fun boat. As other have said, great for a single guy for minimalist gunk holing.

Tie two 5 gallon containers of diesel in the cockpit for a nearly 1/3 reserve. This boat has more range than 95% of us use in a typical cruise. All in a 22' boat. Love the design and execution Tad :thumb::thumb:

Where did you get the consumption rate from? Didn't see it in the listing.

Ted

So a maximum value or projection for the engine RPM, not an actual value for the boat.

Ted

Yuppers.

Gotta start somewhere...

Consumption curves are pretty close even when using theoretical prop curves. Many variation of props that can fit that will make variations of the curve. But as long as the boat isn't under propped or over propped they follow a similar slope.

Either way, I prefer math to outright speculation that some of the other posters were tossing up. I think a 400 mm range is pretty good for a 22' motor boat.

I think this one may take the cake, though the goofy one above is well hard to beat. We passed this thing coming across Rosario Strait on Saturday, good thing it was not the next day or he surely would not have made it. This was some distance off but I think you can see what appears to be a flat scow of some sort, with a pickup camper installed on it and being pushed with an outboard motor! He was not going very fast! I did a double and triple take on this when I first saw it, took me a while to figure it out. Pic is far off but this was the sharpest one I got.

Attachments

• IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 128
I think this one may take the cake, though the goofy one above is well hard to beat. We passed this thing coming across Rosario Strait on Saturday, good thing it was not the next day or he surely would not have made it. This was some distance off but I think you can see what appears to be a flat scow of some sort, with a pickup camper installed on it and being pushed with an outboard motor! He was not going very fast! I did a double and triple take on this when I first saw it, took me a while to figure it out. Pic is far off but this was the sharpest one I got.

That one would make me pull on the binoculars.

and for you Star Wars fans out there....saw this in Anacortes yesterday coming back from the Islands.

Attachments

• IMG_3132.jpg
    IMG_3132.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 130
We rafted up with Hawk Bay at Europa Hot Springs in Gardner Canal...Badger seemed like it wanted to be exactly like Hawk Bay once all grown up. Both having the orange float on the starboard bow caused a chuckle as well.

Hawk Bay is a 50' converted commercial fishing boat, used by its owners to travel the north coast as traveling fisheries guardians for the Department of Fisheries.

Pretty dramatic example of why larger boats cost so much more to build; sure is a lot more material involved!!!

Attachments

• Badger & Hawk Bay #1.jpg
    Badger & Hawk Bay #1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 100
  • Badger & Hawk Bay #2.jpg
    Badger & Hawk Bay #2.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Badger & Hawk Bay #3.jpg
    Badger & Hawk Bay #3.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
It's too slow for me, but I like the looks of it.
1992 Legacy Yachts

I found this blog with some info on these boats.

There are a few versions of the Legacy. This one has an extra cabin, but looks like its built from spare parts. It's reported to cruise at 6-7 knots which they all should do with the standard 50hp Perkins.

Attachments

• 5806708_20160512145811663_1_XLARGE.jpg
    5806708_20160512145811663_1_XLARGE.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 106

Sorry I'm late on this....

DesignedfFuel capacity on the Timbercoast is 32 usg.

Fuel consumption from the owner of Alpine Sea (Aluminium Timbercoast Troller)

[FONT=&quot]"Alpine Sea's first cruise was a great success. Logged about 300 miles in very good weather burning about 25 gallons of fuel." [/FONT]

Rusty,
The Van De Valk is an ugly duckling but not so much so as the Legacy. The Valk's bulbous bow seems too small to be effective. Must have her displacement well fwd as she's deep fwd and runs a little bow down at slow speeds. The afterplane looks hooked and probably prevents much squat. She's reall really full above the chine and may almost stop when encountering a really big wave. Perhaps everyone don's seat belts then.
I've seen several new boats lately that are exceedingly full fwd w sterns that seem more like the fins of arrows ... an attitude control device.
Interesting vid of the flip. The cameraman seemed only interested in the bow.

AusCan,
That "50hp" perkins is almost certainly a 4-107 or 4-108 Perky that is 36hp in a boat. In taxi cabs in England they ran them up to 4000rpm and they did make 50hp. At 3000rpm they make 36hp.
Too bad the wide angle lens distorted the lines of the Legacy giving it a tubby look. I've seen them and they are'nt very sleek looking but not like in that pic. They may be very good boats though.

Last edited:
Rusty,
The Van De Valk is an ugly duckling but not so much so as the Legacy. The Valk's bulbous bow seems too small to be effective. Must have her displacement well fwd as she's deep fwd and runs a little bow down at slow speeds. The afterplane looks hooked and probably prevents much squat. She's reall really full above the chine and may almost stop when encountering a really big wave. Perhaps everyone don's seat belts then.
I've seen several new boats lately that are exceedingly full fwd w sterns that seem more like the fins of arrows ... an attitude control device.
Interesting vid of the flip. The cameraman seemed only interested in the bow.

AusCan,
That "50hp" perkins is almost certainly a 4-107 or 4-108 Perky that is 36hp in a boat. In taxi cabs in England they ran them up to 4000rpm and they did make 50hp. At 3000rpm they make 36hp.
Too bad the wide angle lens distorted the lines of the Legacy giving it a tubby look. I've seen them and they are'nt very sleek looking but not like in that pic. They may be very good boats though.

The hull reminds me a bit of the Hatteras 48lrc; a sort of semi-d forward section, with a bit of displacement form also in the mix. Must be hard to fabricate in aluminium.

Wally yachts have a similar 24mtr design with a massive beam, they quote 12kts with just twin derated 375 Cats.

It appears that even the super rich are concerned with fuel consumption :)

Good note here:

Wife and my schedules have been all F'd up due to family health, business and house rebuild from 7/26/15 - 80K lb. Oak Tree falling on house calamity... as well as other problems/concerns/issues for over two years... therein leaving us little time to visit our 100 mile away doll boat Tollycraft. So... just thought I'd mention we're planning to go out for six (6) days aboard her this holiday weekend! - YEA!!! :dance:

BTW - I really like viewing "Interesting" boats on this thread. Thanks to all for contributing! :thumb:

Art :speed boat:

Rustybarge wrote;
"It appears that even the super rich are concerned about fuel consumption"

Rusty I don't think they are. The rich buy what's popular ... like others. I've seen many "rich" people buy the (green but not economy) car Prius. They need the economy like a hole in their boat but if it's vouge most people buy. It's hard to imagine that the TF people that talk about fuel consumption are short on fuel buying power but it's vouge to appear to be.

Re the boat you posted, unlike a lot of "boats" that get put on here this one is truly interesting. I think I've seen some of the other boats you speak of. NA have trends and vouge designs mostly out of necessity. A NA is a great creator but also an extension of the buyers wishes. And the customers wishes probably open doors to new ideas the NA dos'nt or didn't have. This type you speak of was born of the oil issue to a great extent I'm sure but evolved now because of another element that came along. Like the "eco" trend.

Last edited:
Rustybarge wrote;
"It appears that even the super rich are concerned about fuel consumption"

Rusty I don't think they are. The rich buy what's popular ... like others. I've seen many "rich" people buy the (green but not economy) car Prius. They need the economy like a hole in their boat but if it's vouge most people buy. It's hard to imagine that the TF people that talk about fuel consumption are short on fuel buying power but it's vouge to appear to be.

Re the boat you posted, unlike a lot of "boats" that get put on here this one is truly interesting. I think I've seen some of the other boats you speak of. NA have trends and vouge designs mostly out of necessity. A NA is a great creator but also an extension of the buyers wishes. And the customers wishes probably open doors to new ideas the NA dos'nt or didn't have. This type you speak of was born of the oil issue to a great extent I'm sure but evolved now because of another element that came along. Like the "eco" trend.

Here's the Wally Ace ' fast displacement' ...

images

images

images

Last edited:
I agree but Venus and A are IMO the only two large yachts that anyone had the guts to separate themselves from the herd design wise in decades. Making them both quite interesting by definition.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472318469.288733.jpg

Looks like a fast attack Navy ship

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom