aft deck hatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I have a 1983 36 Albin Trawler
the aft deck hatch needs to be replaced with a type of material that will not warp of separate ... I will after the repair is done be appliying durabak as the rest of the deck is painted with it /// any suggestion on what to use ?? thank you
Kevin G
New Bern NC

IF the hatch is not built flush , a sail boat overhead hatch might work.

If it drops into the deck so folks can use the area , simply copying the existing unit with IPE or cedar would work, but it rotted for a reason, usually poor design.

Rebuild the hatch so water drains from it better .

Small contractors table saws are only $100 new these days.

Last edited:
it rotted I think because regular plywood was used and the edges were not sealed... would marine grade plywood work, if edges were seal with epoxy??

Captn Bill can you give me an example?

I used 3/4" marine plywood, epoxy clear fiber class sheet to it, epoxy the edges. To make the marine plywood bend curve, I ripple groves in the back side bent to shape and then filled the grooves with epoxy with fillers. Sanded, added wood trim, stain and varnish to match the teak deck. Having a curve with over hang sheds the water. I rebuilt the curved Portuguese bridge using the same method.

Another old trick is to cut a groove around the under side edges which will cause the water to drip run off. All the Eagle wood trip are groved.

Google Nida Core, Divinycell, Core Cell.

All of these require you to construct the hatch by glassing the proper thickness to both sides.

The hard part is glassing the edge as GRP does not like 90deg corners.

If the hatch is flat , there is sheet GRP of good thickness , say 1/2 inch that could be fitted like ply wood.

If the hatch is not too large simply fitting a commercial aluminum deck hatch works very well,

We have 6 of them , none leak .
Baier Marine Hatches

www.baiermarine.com/

There are many other brands.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom