View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #11
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Most wind forecasts seem to be for a general area that is devoid of terrain. Add terrain and there is shadowing, funneling, changes is direction, etc.( Exactly-Windy forecast for the most part is devoid of specific winds in channels and inlets. One has to make assumptions based on the overall of the closest wind reflections)

If I look at wind map projections, and they are in several hour increments....it is much easier to see the changes due to time of day and terrain as well as where the break in sind strength is.(This opinion reflects the view taken as a decision to go or not is determined .)

I noticed at least 5 knot increase in wind where the bay necks down. That can be significant in wave action if it is getting above 15 knots and opposing the tide.(Right!! local knowledge and history)

I would think wind forecasts would almost be useless in many places in the North West. Having flown helos in most of Alaska , understanding the wind was all about reading it from what we could see in every valley, cut, sound, whatever terrain we were in for the moment. Forecast winds were only useful for wide open areas. (As on views 'Windy' the forecast as psneed points out, focuses more on the open area, there is enough wind direction in slight detail to give a moment of thought when you extrapolate the forecast in that nearby open area to the more confining area of operation. again, it is a bit of local and historical knowledge)
Al-Ketchikan 27' Marben Pocket CRUISER
Al is offline   Reply With Quote